Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Filtered by skin tone : Other
Guerlain Vol de Nuit

on 7/30/2008 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Ugh. Too old-fashion perfumey. This holds no appeal for me personally.

on 7/15/2008 12:39:00 AM

I'm reviewing the EDT only, and my bottle is from a swap, so I don't know it's true age, and I surmise the EDT must differ from the perfume as I've noticed in other Guerlin fragrances. I have avoided this scent for a while after my first initial spritz (over a year ago) left me with an aldeydic mess. But now, the urge hit me again to sample it, and I sustained the initial aldehydes long enough to settle, and acclimate to the powdery dryness of the woods (?). It is lovely, and familiarly related to L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar, sans their sweetness. I so want to sample the parfum to see if I can distinguish the notes better. Even the Edt, which is fleeting, has a lovely sillage, as do my other Guerlains. I suspect there will be a notable distinction that may lead to love. At this point, I'm enjoying the EDT, and want to try it as an all-day trial (as opposed to a hefty forearm spray) to see how it evolves. I hope to add more to this review pending my all day experience and sampling the parfum, if I can get my hands on it!

on 1/23/2008 10:56:00 PM

Though I own many, many scents, this is my signature fragrance. It is soft without being powdery, spicy in a warm, unaggressive way, and yet also evokes a bit of melancholy. It is deeply feminine; it is the perfume of a woman who knows her own heart and mind. I have never found another fragrance that is so evocative. I wear the EDT and find that it does have moderate staying power. I do not think the parfum has the same depth, although I will occasionally wear a bit on my pulse points in combination with the EDT to increase the staying power.

on 2/2/2007 11:19:00 PM

Much too soapy on me. My husband said it smelled like Old Spice.

on 4/13/2006 7:49:00 PM

Vol de Nuit was a deeply disappointing experience for me, unfortunately. On my skin it's a rather unremarkable and musty mix of powder, soap, some leather, and iris. No vanilla, no spices, no magic. Some people describe this as having strong animalic undertones, but I simply could not smell them! It was very thin, quiet, and yes, dusty. Hesperedic Notes, Narcissus, Galbanum, Oakmoss, Green notes, Wood, Iris, Vanilla, Spices.

on 4/3/2006 7:53:00 PM

This is one of the few Guerlains that works with my chemistry and certainly one of the most unique fragrances I have ever smelled. Vol de Nuit starts out with a fabulous burst of bergamot, but quickly evolves. This is one of those scents that is so seamlessly blended, that I really hate to take it apart. Several people have written that it is a melancholy fragrance, that it brings tears to the eyes. I could not imagine such a scent, unless it was so awful or pungent, but this is indeed a gloomy fragrance. There is a dusty note there and something so sad. To me, this is what memories would smell like if they had a scent. If this was a Harry Potter potion, this would be nostalgia in a bottle, guaranteed to transport the wearer back in time memories that are melancholy, yet treasured at the same time if that makes any sense. Most fragrances these days aim to smell inoffensive and pleasant. Very few conjure up any images. Vol de Nuit brings such beautiful images to mind, it alters mood, time and place. It may not be a scent for everyone, certainly not one that I could wear on a daily basis, but it is a fragrance I am honored t have tried and one I will treasure and reserve for special times and moments when I want to be transfixed by my scent.

Vol de Nuit is one of my favorites from the classic Guerlains. My interest in perfumes tends to lean towards the vintage, and after what I had read in the reviews here about VdN, I knew I had to try it. My first test was at a Guerlain counter in another city----a Guerlain counter with one bottle of Jicky and one bottle of VdN in the glass case, and both boxes had visible wear on them. Apparently, I'm one of the very last to realize that VdN will no longer be sold at your typical Guerlain counter inside a dept store. When I asked the SA if I could try VdN (and this SA was from another brand's counter), she noted that there were no testers of VdN, but she was kind enough to let me spray from that poor little bottle sitting in the glass case. We both knew no one would buy an old beat-up box, and not for the money that the store was charging. As I tracked the EdT, I became more and more interested in the leathery darkness that composes this fragrance, and yet it unfolds into something abstractly floral. I eventually bought the EdT online, and then later purchased the parfum. I love the enigmatic nature of this fragrance and the way it's so unlike any of the fragrances that seem to be multiplying like rabbits and which come out almost daily. VdN is unique by today's standards and has a masculine tone to it which softens as time wears on. It's simply a masterpiece of perfumery and art.

on 6/7/2005 2:35:00 PM

I spent much of my childhood climbing in and out of airplanes - not jets, mind you, just old rickety air crafts, as they were being examined and repaired in a huge hangar, which seemed like heaven to me. The dear test pilots were very nice about it, always happy to explain to me about steering, navigation, and what the different clocks in the cockpit were all about. But they knew where to draw the line, and to my everlasting disappointment refused to take off on a test flight mission with me on board! I was fascinated and completely charmed by aviation, and to this day remember the particular smell of that hangar - whatever the time of year, by some kind of magic it always had a whiff of autumn about it, I can't think why. I recall the eager anticipation for the first drop of rain that never came, and the sense of adventure, fear and hope all mixed up together in a heady blend of courage and faith. This was very palpable to me, all the more so after I had read The Little Prince - I was so thrilled I resolved to learn French just so I could read every word this wonderful, mysterious Antoine de Saint-Exupry ever wrote! Years later, I got a chance to sample Vol de Nuit and was overcome with emotion. Never to my knowledge had a fragrance encapsulated a mood, a memory, an atmosphere, as well as this one. Many of you, reviewing this scent, wrote in poetic terms; it must be that the ghost in the bottle has not escaped you, either. I always feel blessed and privileged wearing this scent, and it also has a certain bracing effect, almost an inspiration. I would not classify it as a feminine nor necessarily masculine fragrance but rather a scent for the soul. It operates like a sort of benediction, hearkening back to the times when aviators were modern knights in shining armour, having a code of honour and chivalry of their own. I heard that every French flying cadet is presented with a flacon of Vol de Nuit, upon graduation.
I hope this is still true.
I never did learn to fly, alas, but I did study French and will always be grateful to Saint-Exupry for holding out his hand and being the first gate through which I entered a language, a civilization, a country which were to become of the utmost importance to me in later years.
Vol de Nuit is my treasure, but I do not wear it every day. It would be sacrilege. I wear it only when the occasion warrants it, and it still smells like the anticipation for rain that never comes.

on 5/3/2005 7:49:00 PM

The best oriental I have smelled in a looong looooooong time and after a while its finally time to give credit where credits due.

An exquisite composition and a classy partner to have.
Citrus top notes that are sweet give way to woods and a resiny balsamic drydown with benzoin and musc. It holds on for some time in a mellow and soft cloud surrounding me.
Lasts no more than other perfumes , certainly not very long like Opium does.
Cuddly and cool simultaneously , to be worn by people that love orientals and slightly old-world perfumes. Not choke-full powdery , just right.

Love it and wish it lasted longer in the EDT. But the ephemeral makes us crave it even more , nest-ce pas?

on 8/4/2004 8:59:00 PM

Here is my take on a classic fragrance.
Vol de Nuit is one of the better orientals Ive tried. Its how I expect a classy perfume to smell. Powdery and soft yet heady and sophisticated. I can see why Vol de Nuit has been around so long.

Top notes: orange, mandarin, lemon, bergamot, orange blossom
Middle Notes: Jonquil, aldehydes, albanum
Base Notes: vanilla, oakmoss, spice, sandalwood, orris, musk

Popular Fragrances