Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.3

on 10/1/2010 8:39:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I was all set to love this. Firstly, it's a Guerlain. Secondly, the bottle is strikingly beautiful, and the name reminds me of a Howard Hughes movie (only if Howard Hughes was French). However, this is one of those Guerlains that doesn't develop on me. It smelled exactly as aldehydic and synthetic on my skin after hours of wear as it did straight from the sample...pretty much as if I rubbed fancy nail polish remover on my skin. Also it gave me a bit of a rash. So sad!

on 6/9/2009 12:05:00 AM

Despite Vol de Nuit's legendary status, it does nothing for me, after 30 minutes the aldehydes settle in and don't budge. I'm fasting drawing the conclusion that my skin does not like aldehydes as I seem to find this with every perfume that I know contains prominent aldehydes, i.e. Chanel #5 and a couple of Carons. I never encounter this with perfumes from Serge Lutens, Montale etc that omit this chemical ingredient. A perfume lesson has been learned!

on 7/30/2008 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Ugh. Too old-fashion perfumey. This holds no appeal for me personally.

I got a decant of this based on the reviews here...

I don't know. Its typical Guerlain. It smells "old fashioned" like Grandma's perfume you smelled as a kid. Not that its a bad thing- there's a nostalgia to it.

But there's still something "off" about it, dusty almost. I think it also lacks complexity and fades too fast (if you liked the scent that would be a bad thing).

This fragrance fully encompasses what I believe to be a vintage, old fashioned scent you'd find tucked away in your grandmother's attic. It smells old yet powdery, synthetic and strong. Not for me.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This product smells like dust to me. I have a very sensitive nose, and even if I was under the duress of torture, I still couldn't actually distinguish the bland notes in this.

on 7/21/2008 10:22:00 PM

I'm really disappointed. I read that it was Diana Rigg's favorite, and that's why I wanted to try it. I tried it twice tonight, and it's - dare I say it - a powdery version of a woman's Old Spice cologne. If anyone wants to trade, just let me know. This perfume, as much as I adore Guerlain scents, is just too woody for me.

on 8/6/2007 4:32:00 PM

I know many people like this, but when I put it on it turns into a medicinal kind of onion smell! I love several Guerlain fragrances, and I was stunned at how awful this turned out to be on me!

on 2/2/2007 11:19:00 PM

Much too soapy on me. My husband said it smelled like Old Spice.

on 4/13/2006 7:49:00 PM

Vol de Nuit was a deeply disappointing experience for me, unfortunately. On my skin it's a rather unremarkable and musty mix of powder, soap, some leather, and iris. No vanilla, no spices, no magic. Some people describe this as having strong animalic undertones, but I simply could not smell them! It was very thin, quiet, and yes, dusty. Hesperedic Notes, Narcissus, Galbanum, Oakmoss, Green notes, Wood, Iris, Vanilla, Spices.

Popular Fragrances