Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Filtered by age: 36-43
Guerlain Vol de Nuit

3.9

on 3/17/2013 3:04:00 AM

For me, Vol de Nuit is distinguished and made exciting by its juxtaposition of disparate notes. Chalky, bitter galbanum and sour citrus smoothly interpenetrate a subtly-orientalized, earthy accord of oakmoss, benzoin, vanilla, and powdery orris. The perfume straddles the divide between oriental and chypre. Where orientals stand gooey-thick up to their knees in a tar-pit of rich, sweet, heavily ambered & balsamic winter-cozy accords, Vol de Nuit merely sticks a toe into this dark territory while keeping her other foot anchored in the lighter fields of chypre with its brown, autumnal, leaf-litter basenotes. Murmurings of vanilla and benzoin tease the primary woody-oakmoss structure, as together they trip through withered, flaxen fields. I get little to no florals, personally. But that's okay. This isn't that kind of a party.

The strength of the EDT is notoriously abysmal, but the vintage parfum is a bit more rich. This perfume vibrates with natural essences; the chlorine twang of modern synthetic fragrances is completely absent here. If one thinks this perfume lacks pizzazz or zing, it's only because that person was - most likely - weaned on modern chemicals substituting for quality essences. Vol de Nuit was the real deal, lovely quality stuff. I can't comment on the current parfum as I haven't tried it, but the vintage is exquisite work. A very calming and grounding fragrance.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

We all know Shalimar is beautiful but many of us associate with an elderly family member that has worn it for the last 50 years. This exemplifies how good the fragrance is because it is still appealing after all these years. I don't know about you, but I want my fragrance choices to be unique. I don't want to smell like aunt Sheba (that's her scent).

Vol De Nuit is a beautiful woody oriental. It has many similarities to Shalimar but is a bit naughtier/sexier/edgier. I love this. It's Shalimar's prettier sister that doesn't go to as many parties and has a smaller social circle.

on 6/9/2009 12:05:00 AM

Despite Vol de Nuit's legendary status, it does nothing for me, after 30 minutes the aldehydes settle in and don't budge. I'm fasting drawing the conclusion that my skin does not like aldehydes as I seem to find this with every perfume that I know contains prominent aldehydes, i.e. Chanel #5 and a couple of Carons. I never encounter this with perfumes from Serge Lutens, Montale etc that omit this chemical ingredient. A perfume lesson has been learned!

on 5/21/2009 8:41:00 AM

Vol De Nuit is wonderful - a real fragrance, a real perfume that does not smell gourmand, flowery of candy or anything edible. Created in 1933- it has a vintage air, class and mystery . It has its own personailty .To me this is chypre -oriental . Intense, dark and daring in the parfum extrait, lighter, less broody in the EDT but still spicy and very good fragrance. This fragrance is not made in the EDP form.
The extrait is a must try to appreciate this scent entirely. A classic always.

on 11/28/2008 8:42:00 PM

my love.

on 8/22/2008 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Whoa, I'm having some problems with my "The Guide" 5 Stars... first "Chinatown," now this I just can't stand. Okay, I hated this less than the Chinatown but it dried down to what basically smelled like rubber. And not the clean new-tire rubber of "Bulgari Black," but a dirty old rubber ball, like the kind I used to bounce against a wall as a kid. This is weirding me out -- could it be I have a major personal problem with tuberose? I know tuberose has that rubber/butter smell I don't like, personally. But this doesn't have tuberose listed in the notes... Narcissus? Or could it be my chemistry is wacky this week and making everything smell bad? Maybe, but I simply can't say this stuff sucks, for me it just didn't work. I guess that's why perfumes are so fascinating, because how could Dame Diana Rigg be wrong?

on 7/21/2008 10:22:00 PM

I'm really disappointed. I read that it was Diana Rigg's favorite, and that's why I wanted to try it. I tried it twice tonight, and it's - dare I say it - a powdery version of a woman's Old Spice cologne. If anyone wants to trade, just let me know. This perfume, as much as I adore Guerlain scents, is just too woody for me.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

I just received my brand new bottle of Vol de Nuit EdT, purchased unsniffed and based on MUA reviews. I agree with a number of reviews and will try to sum it up as best as I can. Vol de Nuit is similar to Shalimar minus the cloying saccharine quality I dislike in Shalimar. It resembles Jicky, with the animalic note smoothed down a little and the herbal note is not as sharp, making it much easier to wear and devastatingly melancholy. It suits my personality and melds with my chemistry so well, it doesn't smell at all like perfume on me. However I uncomfortable wearing it. It reminds me of a very sad time in my life.

on 2/22/2008 5:46:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Timeless. Classy. Captivating.
My favorite Guerlain along with Jardins de Bagatelle.
EDT is fine with me:) Love it!

on 2/20/2008 10:10:00 AM

I initially tried this as an eau de toilette and liked it. Then I bought a vintage bottle of parfum and was captivated by it. While the topnotes are very subdued in my bottle (partly due to its age I would imagine), the drydown is glorious. It has the very obvious Guerlain base, with some of the animalic qualities of Jicky, but with a deep resinous woody character as well. I noticed the Iris when I wore it first, but the notes are blended in such a way that I am much more conscious of the entire composition than anything else. It is as if the notes merely add various facets to the fragrance without drawing attention to themselves individually. I would advise caution in the application of this fragrance. A little can be very tantalising, but it doesn't take a lot for it to be annoying -even though the smell might not be too strong. With just the right amount, I believe it is one of the most sensual Guerlains.

Popular Fragrances