Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

4.1

on 5/22/2012 1:01:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Vol de Nuit, you were worth every hard-earned and carefully-saved penny. Created in 1933, the top notes are bergamot, galbanum and petit grain; heart notes are jasmine, daffodil and spices; base notes are earthy woods, iris, vanilla, amber and woodsy notes. Like so many perfumes I love it is an old and deep scent, sitting close to the skin -- but not so close as to make it not worth my while.

I'll have to add more later.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I get very little sillage from Vol de Nuit. In order to smell it I really have to hold my wrist to my nose. This goes for both the Parfum and the EDT. This and the exorbitant price are the main reasons why I wouldn't buy a bottle, but it is still a beautiful fragrance.

Vol de Nuit in the EDT form starts out with a really funny bit of Jean Nate mixed with Aliage (the real stuff from the 80s). This is funny only because the true character of the fragrance couldn't be any more different from either, so if you smell this at first, don't judge it then. Wait 5 minutes, and you will get an absolutely magical heart of oakmoss, soft leather, roses and vanilla. This lasts for an hour or so, and then melts to a creamy, powdery doll's head, gingerbread spice and incense scent that is to die for, if you happen to have your nose buried into your skin.

Of course it would be much more intoxicating if it could be smelled at a greater distance than three-to-five inches from the application point (this goes for EDT and parfum both), but at least to my nose, it's not strong or effervescent enough to grab the senses unless you're actively sniffing for it. It's a base-note scent top to bottom, and so it's subtle, which would be a very lovely thing if only it weren't extremely pricey. As much as I love the parfum bottle and the story (I had a small obsession with St. Exupery as a teen), this is in the same vein as Caron's Nuit de Noel and Habanita, both of which came out about ten years prior to Vol de Nuit and represent opposite ends of Vol de Nuit's spectrum. They also cost far, far less, also have great stories and gorgeous bottles, and are quite a lot stronger and more distinctive scents blending rose, oakmoss, vanilla and spices -- Habanita is also has green, tobacco, leather and incense, while Nuit de Noel is a creamier, sweeter scent with aldehydes and a distinctive nuttiness.

There are so many Guerlains that I would love to love, but ultimately they've priced their best ones way out of my market, and the only way that I could ever justify a purchase like that is if it really did hit every mark. But with subtle reformulations over the years rending their best fragrances tame, I would much rather stick with those few classic scents from other lines whose reformulations still have the same spirit and big distinctive presence that just about all fragrances had in the golden era of perfumey perfume.

on 3/2/2011 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Much is made of its romantic association with aviation and adventure, but a kind of stasis grips the heart of Vol de Nuit, anchoring it firmly to this blighted earth. Even the metallic vitriol of petrol fumes, recreated by the corrosive, medicinal sulfuric, terpene-rich galbanum, hints at a cthonic origin. In one respect, the name is entirely just; it is best worn in the chill winter night, not to comfort as Shalimar would, but to belong. No other perfume so perfectly captures the very substance of darkness itselfopaque, vague, and lonely. There is only starlight in Vol de Nuit, a brief twinkle of bergamot and mandarin, quickly shuttered by a bitter cloud of galbanum, poor illumination against the dense backdrop of resinous woods and earthy aromatics: an abundance of narcissus and iris (these are not actually floral), agarwood, cinnamon (though perhaps more accurately a spice), rosewood, cedar, sandalwood, vetiver, oakmoss, benzoin, and tonka bean.

Vol de Nuit serves is the prototypical bittersweet, caught between attraction and repulsion, and counts in its lineage perfumes such as Bandit and Vent Vert (themselves very influential), as if Cellier dehydrated the sepia-toned original of its Guerlinade and then split it in two halves, one black, the other green. Bittersweet is a common enough theme in artthe grit and heartache in Billie Holiday's voice, that sinister tendency behind Kubrick's films, Hamlet generally screwing everyone up with his eloquence, the Amazonian custom of cutting off a breast to ease archery, Goya's black paintingsit is a little more unexpected from a perfume. If a spirit of adventure guides this composition, it is not, as the name may imply, informed by the rash heroism of youth, but by a mature confidence, leading us on an inward journey, deeper into the heart of darkness.

I often think that Guerlain's perfumes are essays on human frailty, and this is what makes them so fascinating. But Vol de Nuit is a homage, not to frailty, but to human strength, the only one we have, the ability to weather horrible, mindless, meaningless adversity, to face that endless night, know it is there, and still live. If that isn't bittersweet, I don't know what is.

on 10/1/2010 8:39:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I was all set to love this. Firstly, it's a Guerlain. Secondly, the bottle is strikingly beautiful, and the name reminds me of a Howard Hughes movie (only if Howard Hughes was French). However, this is one of those Guerlains that doesn't develop on me. It smelled exactly as aldehydic and synthetic on my skin after hours of wear as it did straight from the sample...pretty much as if I rubbed fancy nail polish remover on my skin. Also it gave me a bit of a rash. So sad!

I don't like the Guerlinade that starts it off -- that fusty complex sweetish note. But after a couple of hours, it turns into the most incredible soft dark leather -- like the most luxurious library you can imagine. I will be searching for that note in another perfume.

on 7/15/2008 12:39:00 AM

I'm reviewing the EDT only, and my bottle is from a swap, so I don't know it's true age, and I surmise the EDT must differ from the perfume as I've noticed in other Guerlin fragrances. I have avoided this scent for a while after my first initial spritz (over a year ago) left me with an aldeydic mess. But now, the urge hit me again to sample it, and I sustained the initial aldehydes long enough to settle, and acclimate to the powdery dryness of the woods (?). It is lovely, and familiarly related to L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar, sans their sweetness. I so want to sample the parfum to see if I can distinguish the notes better. Even the Edt, which is fleeting, has a lovely sillage, as do my other Guerlains. I suspect there will be a notable distinction that may lead to love. At this point, I'm enjoying the EDT, and want to try it as an all-day trial (as opposed to a hefty forearm spray) to see how it evolves. I hope to add more to this review pending my all day experience and sampling the parfum, if I can get my hands on it!

on 12/30/2007 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This review is for the parfum version of Vol de Nuit. It is unfortunate for me that the Guerlains in general all appear to have quite a bit of trouble rising and evolving on my skin into anything more than a mishmash of notes. Vol de Nuit is no exception, which is so unfortunate for me, and will certainly end my quest into the depths of the Guerlain collection. I am able to pull out of the whole thing a warm leather, and an impression of a powdery iris, but other than that the whole thing has a green, sharp tone to it as well that clouds out the rest of the scent. It is, as I have noticed with the other Guerlains, a powdery Emeraude-esque feel that is a turn off in general.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Other

I'm trying hard to square my experience of Vol de Nuit with some of the descriptions you ladies give, but it just isn't happening... To me it's not vintage glamour, or taupe velvet, or austere and magisterial; to me Vol de Nuit smells of babies - whisper-soft lemon and lavender, with a gentle dusting of powder. Ladies, you know when men say things like "I hate perfume" but you can't bear the thought of not wearing any when you're with him? Reach for this. He won't think "perfume", he'll just think clean, soft and snuggleable. I love this right out of the shower and into bed, it's so comforting and cozy, like a favourite blanket. And "snuggleable" IS so a word. ;-)

on 9/8/2006 10:21:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Beautiful fragrance. The kind of luxury that you like to keep for yourself. A bit like silk pyjamas to me.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Strict, strong, confident, assertive and mature. Very noble scent, like a cold glance, a slap on the cheek with a leather glove, a sharp remark, a wise advice, a pencil skirt, black heels and a starched white shirt with an art deco broach. This Madame requires a certain kind of owner, someone I am not but perhaps will be in the future. I love smelling it on my skin as it takes me back to my grandmas home furnished with antiques and filled with African violets, but I just cant wear it. For now this is a little too magisterial for me.

Popular Fragrances