Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Filtered by age: 19-24
Guerlain Vol de Nuit

3.8

on 11/26/2008 9:14:00 AM

What is it about Jacques Guerlain's classic perfumes that makes them so difficult, yet so compelling? For so long, I dismissed Vol de Nuit as too dark, gamey, and weird. I even compared it to a barnyard, animals included. But when I tried it at the Waldorf-Astoria's charming little Guerlain space yesterday evening, something happened. I finally started to get it. The wood notes, so smooth that they seemed polished, came out, as did vanilla and some notes that reminded me of old-fashioned face cream and powder. It was still dark, but no longer impossible. Now, instead of a barnyard, I think of a 1930s femme fatale's dressing table, upon which Vol de Nuit's beautiful, Art Deco extrait bottle would go perfectly.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

When i read reviews on this i thought that all the MUAr's were going mad, due to all the poetry, but when i received a sample of this from ebay i understood why. This scent reminds me of some woman my grandmother new, and i always admired how she smelled and how classy she was. Lovely scent.

Seeing as I'm isolated in in Northern Ontario, Canada, I don't get to experiment much with makeup and fragrances. I went "down south" last week (to the great city of Toronto!), walked into The Bay and stumbled accross Guerlain. I sampled pretty much all of their perfumes and when I was introduced to Vol de Nuit, I fell in love. Just the thought of that acquaintance makes me weak in the knees. I asked the salesperson what the name of the fragrance was but was couldn't make out her commendable attempt at pronouncing the french name. I walked away from Guerlain but went back quickly. "Vol de Nuit" de Saint-Ex... Je l'ai lu il y a quelques mois. Une histoire d'aventure, de courage, de force et de devoir... Le roman de la grandeur de l'homme (et de la femme!)... I took this fragrance home and have absolutely no regrets...
QUESTION: Do I smell celery in this?

on 4/14/2005 11:50:00 PM

One of the most timeless soft orientals, if any perfume should inspire, Vol de Nuit would. It's classy, as in confidence and self-possession, not restricted to matters of taste or decorum. And it's romantic, not necessarily dinner for two or feminine chiffon, but the romance of imagination. It makes me think of Henry James' heroine Isabel Archer (not, I repeat, not the Archer of Campion's film adaptation), whom I fondly remember as being unable to contain her imagination's flighty impulses.

Without a doubt, my favorite is the parfum, which is a seamlessly blended composition that gently soars with each successive hour. It opens with bergamot that quickly merges with softly tangy citrus notes that segue into a plush heart of jasmine, iris, and dry woods. As the base notes of translucent amber and silky vanilla waft up, they transfer a serenely sweet quality and an immaculate sensation that is as soft as goosedown, as powdery as stardust, and as polished as '40s celluloid. Simply a masterpiece, Vol de Nuit captures the essence of what makes the House of Guerlain so special -- quality that takes you back to a time when beauty went hand in hand with evocative luxury. continued >>

This fragrance fully encompasses what I believe to be a vintage, old fashioned scent you'd find tucked away in your grandmother's attic. It smells old yet powdery, synthetic and strong. Not for me.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This product smells like dust to me. I have a very sensitive nose, and even if I was under the duress of torture, I still couldn't actually distinguish the bland notes in this.

I purchased this from another MUAer after the reviews on here, but I got it, and don't like it! It smells very old ladyish/powdery to me. Hopefully I got the right scent.

I have worn vol de nuit for years in EDT version and tried the parfum today and was really impressed by it- smells gorgeous and much more so! Must have the beautiful parfum soon - the bottle is stunning.

on 12/25/2002 1:48:00 PM

Vol de Nuit is one of the few true loves that I hope to never be without. As I have professed admiration for Antoine de Saint-Exupery since I was a child AND am an aviation enthusiast, I was immediately attracted by the story behind the name of the fragrance and first purchased a huge bottle of the EDT unsniffed...One heartbreak later, this fragrance that I wore through it had come to mean too much, and after storing it in the back of the closet for months, I sold it off into good hands. Part three of this long story: Vol de Nuit and I are happily reunited--I've been enjoying the soft, full, amazing parfum. :-) It is a dry, woody oriental with a myriad facets, a fragrance of the intimate nature that is not a crowd-pleaser, just a romantic and generous gesture towards yourself, your personal aura of warmth and dreams.

Popular Fragrances