Guerlain Vol de Nuit

Guerlain Vol de Nuit

3.5

on 1/16/2015 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I wrote the composition notes of. VdN. Vintage extrait (along with Vintage Miss Dior and Vintage caron NdN) in my Avon Bird of. Paradise review. In summary, balsamic woody oriental chypre 1933, including hesperedic notes: bergamot, petit grain; Galbanum, narcissus/daffodil; jasmine, iris/orris root; sandalwood, vanillin (guerlain and, I think, caron, famously insisted on synthetic, adulterated vanillin, a component in caron Mousse de Saxe), amber, oakmoss, benzoin, ambergris, musk, castoreum. (Caron is most famous for using mousse de Saxe; I don't know if Guerlain did as well, but there were numerous premade concoctions: mousse de Saxe, mousse de Chene, etc., by De Laire and other companies). Off topic, I read somewhere that E. Routnitska was known to perform his own personal oxidation of DeLaire compound, in Rochas Femme and other creations.

I had a quarter ounce of VdN vintage extrait; I don't know if I would buy vintage extrait again, but I have ordered VdN vintage clock or disc bottle, new old stock, Edc, circa 1960s-1980s? It has a glass stopper, not a metal screw cap. I also ordered VdN current modern edition (2013 or latter) extrait (presumably with Theirry Wassers reengineered oak moss?)

Was going to update comparisons later, but then I realized that the reviews by flame dancer and Ella 343 belie say it best. I do think vol du nuit is less warm in tone and a bit more four season friendly than caron NdN, but I would wear caron NdN year round too, depending on my mood. VdN is more austere. I should also state that I under apply fragrance and prefer to dab it, not spray which affects outcome and eliminates or reduces sillage.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Strict, strong, confident, assertive and mature. Very noble scent, like a cold glance, a slap on the cheek with a leather glove, a sharp remark, a wise advice, a pencil skirt, black heels and a starched white shirt with an art deco broach. This Madame requires a certain kind of owner, someone I am not but perhaps will be in the future. I love smelling it on my skin as it takes me back to my grandmaís home furnished with antiques and filled with African violets, but I just canít wear it. For now this is a little too magisterial for me.

Popular Fragrances