E.L.F. Studio Baked Highlighter

Filtered by skin tone : Fair

3.6

I'm starting to wonder with e.l.f. if they have some bad batches of a product and some good batches. I bought this product online from Target on a whim. When it arrived, I swatched it on my finger and nothing showed up. I tried pushing as hard as I could into the pan, but still could not get more than a sheer layer of glitter with a hint of gold to transfer on my finger. This was extremely disappointing. The reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive and viewing the swatches that others have taken, it doesn't even look like the same product. I feel like e.l.f. products are very hit or miss. Some of their products have amazing pigment, and others are trash. I SO wanted to love this highlighter, but this was a complete miss for me.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

After I removed the top later of the product, the pigment and shine was very nice. I really like the champagne tone of this highlighter, however it does have a few distinct glitters in it and I find some of them throw an unconventional tone such as green or red. The powder is a little chalky and powdery sometimes but it looks very pretty in the light.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought the pink toned one, "Pink Diamonds" at walmart and thought it was a bit too unnaturally pink. Picked up "moonlight pearls" at the elf store after hearing it's a dupe for the becca/laura mercier highlighters and i'm officially obsessed. It's "baked" so it has that weird hard/matte layer on the top, but i just rubbed it off. Such a gorgeous, natural color for 3 bucks. Since it's allegedly "baked" if you wet your finger/brush with water/setting spray (or your own saliva... gross but I've done it in a pinch, leave me alone), you can build this to be more dramatic.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Shade - moonlight pearls

When I first opened and swatched with my finger there was decent color payoff. When I put the brush to it I had a problem. None of my brushes picked up enough product. I even went in full bore with a slanted blush brush and nope! I had bought in on sale for like $1.20 from the website so I wasn't awfully mad that it wasn't performing. A few days later I happened to be watching a YouTube video that adressed this issue. They recommended scraping the top layer off. Ok that's a little weird but I'm probably just going to throw it away so why not. I grabbed some gloves and set up a "clean" area to do this. With a sanitized new razor blade I gently scraped off the top layer as suggested. Cleaned everything up and broke out my fan brush again. Swipe swipe apply. Whoa! Hello beautiful! I blended it out and it was a great highlight.

It's just so damn dry man! I scraped off the top layer...several times...and I still don't get much color payoff so I don't really feel it's worth my time. If you want a similar shade of highlighter at a similar price point that's way more pigmented and buttery...try Wet n Wild Crown of My Canopy instead, and save yourself the hassle
EDIT: This is a review for the shade Blushed Gems. I also have the shade Moonlight Pearls and am equally unimpressed...

I have this in moonlight pearls and I really like it! I did use a qtip and gently rubbed off the top layer as others suggested and the product is very silky and great quality! This provides a very blendable, shimmery sheen of highlight on the face! It blends into the skin and doesnt accentuate any pores or texture. It isnt glitty or chunky. I really like this!

Worth a try, its very inexpensive! I reach for this alot!

I only bought this because I kept hearing how amazing it was.... Especially at this price point. . I'm very fair skinned so I cannot pull off the given color highlighters but I decided to try. After spending 20 minutes removing enough of the product (which I store in a reusable 5gram plastic container), I was finally able to pick up enough on my brush to try it on and I must say, it looked beautiful on me. The perfect shade of gold. It is one of the sparklier highlights I own and even more is difficult to get enough into the brush, but it is very flattering and instead of having to carry the whole compact in my makeup bag, I just take along the little plastic container with the excesse product I had to scrape off fortouchups

I like this product. isn't In my daily make routine tho.

I got this highlighter in blush gems and I absolutely love it! It is my favorite highlighter I have ever had. You can scrape off the top layer if you want but you don't have to. I like the slight pinkness of it ( I don't even need blush!) and the price is wonderful! I really hope you choose to buy this highlighter and if you end up not liking it it's okay because it's only three dollars!!

You do not have to scrape off the top layer to get to the product and even if you did the price is so cheap it's worth the effort.

Just remember all baked items have a crust and makeup is no different.

Just give it a little all over scratch with your finger nail and you can use the powder you have scratched up to apply to your skin. After that initial scratch the highlighter is good to go and a pan will last you a long long time.

Very similar to Champagne Pop and Jeffree Star Eclipse without the price tag.

Applies gently and is buildable. This is my favourite highlighter.

If you live in Australia, open an iHerb account, it is cheaper to purchase most products from there including ELF and you get free postage according to weight and how much you spend. Even with a gloomy dollar you are still saving money. I have a discount code to save you even more money but I don't think I am allowed to add it to a review please contact me through my profile and I will gladly share it with you.