e.l.f. Cosmetics Baked Highlighter

Filtered by skin tone : Fair

3.7

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Moonlit Pearl is my favourite drugstore highlight.

I LOVE THIS HIGHLIGHTER SO MUCH!!! I am fair skinned and this is the perfect champagne shade to give me a very blinding glow (or natural if im lighthanded). Just scratch off the very top layer and the product is SO pigmented. Like. SOOOO PIGMENTED. Ive had it for a long time and havent run out yet, but i will DEFINITELY be repurchasing.

Even after scraping off the top layers I still think this stuff is overhyped. It extenuates the texture of my skin to a ridiculous degree... and I don't even have much texture in the areas I put it to begin with. it's just not flattering. I also find it difficult to blend out or even pick up with a brush to begin with. If you're looking for an inexpensive highlighter I feel like there's far better options out there especially now when it's Highlighter-palooza

I overall do not care for ELF's powdered products in general.

I'm starting to wonder with e.l.f. if they have some bad batches of a product and some good batches. I bought this product online from Target on a whim. When it arrived, I swatched it on my finger and nothing showed up. I tried pushing as hard as I could into the pan, but still could not get more than a sheer layer of glitter with a hint of gold to transfer on my finger. This was extremely disappointing. The reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive and viewing the swatches that others have taken, it doesn't even look like the same product. I feel like e.l.f. products are very hit or miss. Some of their products have amazing pigment, and others are trash. I SO wanted to love this highlighter, but this was a complete miss for me.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

After I removed the top later of the product, the pigment and shine was very nice. I really like the champagne tone of this highlighter, however it does have a few distinct glitters in it and I find some of them throw an unconventional tone such as green or red. The powder is a little chalky and powdery sometimes but it looks very pretty in the light.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought the pink toned one, "Pink Diamonds" at walmart and thought it was a bit too unnaturally pink. Picked up "moonlight pearls" at the elf store after hearing it's a dupe for the becca/laura mercier highlighters and i'm officially obsessed. It's "baked" so it has that weird hard/matte layer on the top, but i just rubbed it off. Such a gorgeous, natural color for 3 bucks. Since it's allegedly "baked" if you wet your finger/brush with water/setting spray (or your own saliva... gross but I've done it in a pinch, leave me alone), you can build this to be more dramatic.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Shade - moonlight pearls

When I first opened and swatched with my finger there was decent color payoff. When I put the brush to it I had a problem. None of my brushes picked up enough product. I even went in full bore with a slanted blush brush and nope! I had bought in on sale for like $1.20 from the website so I wasn't awfully mad that it wasn't performing. A few days later I happened to be watching a YouTube video that adressed this issue. They recommended scraping the top layer off. Ok that's a little weird but I'm probably just going to throw it away so why not. I grabbed some gloves and set up a "clean" area to do this. With a sanitized new razor blade I gently scraped off the top layer as suggested. Cleaned everything up and broke out my fan brush again. Swipe swipe apply. Whoa! Hello beautiful! I blended it out and it was a great highlight.

It's just so damn dry man! I scraped off the top layer...several times...and I still don't get much color payoff so I don't really feel it's worth my time. If you want a similar shade of highlighter at a similar price point that's way more pigmented and buttery...try Wet n Wild Crown of My Canopy instead, and save yourself the hassle
EDIT: This is a review for the shade Blushed Gems. I also have the shade Moonlight Pearls and am equally unimpressed...

I have this in moonlight pearls and I really like it! I did use a qtip and gently rubbed off the top layer as others suggested and the product is very silky and great quality! This provides a very blendable, shimmery sheen of highlight on the face! It blends into the skin and doesnt accentuate any pores or texture. It isnt glitty or chunky. I really like this!

Worth a try, its very inexpensive! I reach for this alot!

I only bought this because I kept hearing how amazing it was.... Especially at this price point. . I'm very fair skinned so I cannot pull off the given color highlighters but I decided to try. After spending 20 minutes removing enough of the product (which I store in a reusable 5gram plastic container), I was finally able to pick up enough on my brush to try it on and I must say, it looked beautiful on me. The perfect shade of gold. It is one of the sparklier highlights I own and even more is difficult to get enough into the brush, but it is very flattering and instead of having to carry the whole compact in my makeup bag, I just take along the little plastic container with the excesse product I had to scrape off fortouchups