E.L.F. Cosmetics Baked Highlighter

3.6

Even after scraping off the top layers I still think this stuff is overhyped. It extenuates the texture of my skin to a ridiculous degree... and I don't even have much texture in the areas I put it to begin with. it's just not flattering. I also find it difficult to blend out or even pick up with a brush to begin with. If you're looking for an inexpensive highlighter I feel like there's far better options out there especially now when it's Highlighter-palooza

I overall do not care for ELF's powdered products in general.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This highlighter is very light and I mean it’s not super pigmented. However, I do like this for everyday. I’m not trying to be a super huge baller at work or anything but I do like to look put together and professional with a hint of sexy. I’m not sure what everyone is talking about with the top layer of this but it’s been the same throughout for the 7-10 times I have used it. I tried a brush but it’s too light so I use my finger and build as much as I could before i call it quits lol would I buy it again? No. Recommend to friends no unless they are on a super tight budget and have hear my whole explanation lol oh and i have the Moonlight Pearls.

I'm starting to wonder with e.l.f. if they have some bad batches of a product and some good batches. I bought this product online from Target on a whim. When it arrived, I swatched it on my finger and nothing showed up. I tried pushing as hard as I could into the pan, but still could not get more than a sheer layer of glitter with a hint of gold to transfer on my finger. This was extremely disappointing. The reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive and viewing the swatches that others have taken, it doesn't even look like the same product. I feel like e.l.f. products are very hit or miss. Some of their products have amazing pigment, and others are trash. I SO wanted to love this highlighter, but this was a complete miss for me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This highlighter is bomb when used correctly (i.e scraping the top layer off). I prefer this over my Becca Moonstone highlight. I like to apply the highlighter directly to my cheeks from the compact (soo unhygienic I know!) and use my fingers to disperse the product onto my nose and cupids bow. The result is a dewy wet-looking glow that is perfect for light skintones no crazy orange pigment here, just glow. Also it's only $3.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Packaging is sort of cheap and plastic-y, but it was four dollars and it's simple and easy to use. Like people are saying, there's a hard layer of product that's just sort of a scratchy top coat from being baked. When you scratch it off, it becomes beautiful, soft, and pigmented. I got the shades Blush Gems and Pink Diamonds: dupes for JS's Skin Frosts I would say. My go-to highlighters for a more natural but not completely subtle look. If I want glow but not blind, I'll reach for these, which I do on a daily basis. Got shades for every skin tone. Into it. Almost down completely to pan on my Blush Gems. BG also makes for a beautiful shadow as well.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

After I removed the top later of the product, the pigment and shine was very nice. I really like the champagne tone of this highlighter, however it does have a few distinct glitters in it and I find some of them throw an unconventional tone such as green or red. The powder is a little chalky and powdery sometimes but it looks very pretty in the light.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought the pink toned one, "Pink Diamonds" at walmart and thought it was a bit too unnaturally pink. Picked up "moonlight pearls" at the elf store after hearing it's a dupe for the becca/laura mercier highlighters and i'm officially obsessed. It's "baked" so it has that weird hard/matte layer on the top, but i just rubbed it off. Such a gorgeous, natural color for 3 bucks. Since it's allegedly "baked" if you wet your finger/brush with water/setting spray (or your own saliva... gross but I've done it in a pinch, leave me alone), you can build this to be more dramatic.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This is a great highlighter, but as many people have recommended, I had to scrape the top layer off to allow my brushes to pick up the pigments. But for such a beautiful highlight at such an affordable price, I definitely didn't mind doing this! Just try it out, it's just as good as my Mary Louminizer but far more affordable

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a lovely highlighter for everyday. I have Blushed Gems. And as this product is notoriously known for scraping the top layer off to get to the product, it's actually worth it in my opinion. If you don't mind the fuss, this is good for work or lighter makeup days and even safe for a light dusting all over the face. You'll be disappointed if you expect a beaming glow that lasts all day.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Shade - moonlight pearls

When I first opened and swatched with my finger there was decent color payoff. When I put the brush to it I had a problem. None of my brushes picked up enough product. I even went in full bore with a slanted blush brush and nope! I had bought in on sale for like $1.20 from the website so I wasn't awfully mad that it wasn't performing. A few days later I happened to be watching a YouTube video that adressed this issue. They recommended scraping the top layer off. Ok that's a little weird but I'm probably just going to throw it away so why not. I grabbed some gloves and set up a "clean" area to do this. With a sanitized new razor blade I gently scraped off the top layer as suggested. Cleaned everything up and broke out my fan brush again. Swipe swipe apply. Whoa! Hello beautiful! I blended it out and it was a great highlight.