E.L.F. Studio Baked Highlighter

3.7

I'm starting to wonder with e.l.f. if they have some bad batches of a product and some good batches. I bought this product online from Target on a whim. When it arrived, I swatched it on my finger and nothing showed up. I tried pushing as hard as I could into the pan, but still could not get more than a sheer layer of glitter with a hint of gold to transfer on my finger. This was extremely disappointing. The reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive and viewing the swatches that others have taken, it doesn't even look like the same product. I feel like e.l.f. products are very hit or miss. Some of their products have amazing pigment, and others are trash. I SO wanted to love this highlighter, but this was a complete miss for me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This highlighter is bomb when used correctly (i.e scraping the top layer off). I prefer this over my Becca Moonstone highlight. I like to apply the highlighter directly to my cheeks from the compact (soo unhygienic I know!) and use my fingers to disperse the product onto my nose and cupids bow. The result is a dewy wet-looking glow that is perfect for light skintones no crazy orange pigment here, just glow. Also it's only $3.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Packaging is sort of cheap and plastic-y, but it was four dollars and it's simple and easy to use. Like people are saying, there's a hard layer of product that's just sort of a scratchy top coat from being baked. When you scratch it off, it becomes beautiful, soft, and pigmented. I got the shades Blush Gems and Pink Diamonds: dupes for JS's Skin Frosts I would say. My go-to highlighters for a more natural but not completely subtle look. If I want glow but not blind, I'll reach for these, which I do on a daily basis. Got shades for every skin tone. Into it. Almost down completely to pan on my Blush Gems. BG also makes for a beautiful shadow as well.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

After I removed the top later of the product, the pigment and shine was very nice. I really like the champagne tone of this highlighter, however it does have a few distinct glitters in it and I find some of them throw an unconventional tone such as green or red. The powder is a little chalky and powdery sometimes but it looks very pretty in the light.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought the pink toned one, "Pink Diamonds" at walmart and thought it was a bit too unnaturally pink. Picked up "moonlight pearls" at the elf store after hearing it's a dupe for the becca/laura mercier highlighters and i'm officially obsessed. It's "baked" so it has that weird hard/matte layer on the top, but i just rubbed it off. Such a gorgeous, natural color for 3 bucks. Since it's allegedly "baked" if you wet your finger/brush with water/setting spray (or your own saliva... gross but I've done it in a pinch, leave me alone), you can build this to be more dramatic.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This is a great highlighter, but as many people have recommended, I had to scrape the top layer off to allow my brushes to pick up the pigments. But for such a beautiful highlight at such an affordable price, I definitely didn't mind doing this! Just try it out, it's just as good as my Mary Louminizer but far more affordable

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Shade - moonlight pearls

When I first opened and swatched with my finger there was decent color payoff. When I put the brush to it I had a problem. None of my brushes picked up enough product. I even went in full bore with a slanted blush brush and nope! I had bought in on sale for like $1.20 from the website so I wasn't awfully mad that it wasn't performing. A few days later I happened to be watching a YouTube video that adressed this issue. They recommended scraping the top layer off. Ok that's a little weird but I'm probably just going to throw it away so why not. I grabbed some gloves and set up a "clean" area to do this. With a sanitized new razor blade I gently scraped off the top layer as suggested. Cleaned everything up and broke out my fan brush again. Swipe swipe apply. Whoa! Hello beautiful! I blended it out and it was a great highlight.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a lovely highlighter for everyday. I have Blushed Gems. And as this product is notoriously known for scraping the top layer off to get to the product, it's actually worth it in my opinion. If you don't mind the fuss, this is good for work or lighter makeup days and even safe for a light dusting all over the face. You'll be disappointed if you expect a beaming glow that lasts all day.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

If you're looking for a natural, subtle looking affordable highlighter you need this in your life!
(Moonlight Pearls) ✨
Take in mind- u need to scratch the top layer to release the formula out with the first application.
Also, Works best with a large crease brush, not with a fan brush since it's so refined.

It's just so damn dry man! I scraped off the top layer...several times...and I still don't get much color payoff so I don't really feel it's worth my time. If you want a similar shade of highlighter at a similar price point that's way more pigmented and buttery...try Wet n Wild Crown of My Canopy instead, and save yourself the hassle
EDIT: This is a review for the shade Blushed Gems. I also have the shade Moonlight Pearls and am equally unimpressed...