St.Tropez Everyday Gradual Tan Body Lotion, Medium - Dark

No Image

3.8

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Word to the wise: This IS NOT a "gradual" tanner despite being labeled as such! If you're looking for subtle or foolproof, this is not for you. I actually have the Light/Medium shade, not the Medium/Dark (MUA has no exact match for that shade for me to review here.) I have experience with the regular St Tropez sunless tanners, and I love the mousse. However, I wanted to build a lighter, more gradual tan due to it still being winter...and so I gave this formula a go, thinking it would *at least* be decent. I've used many other gradual tans with no problem. After following all the normal steps - exfoliate, shave, moisturize dry areas, apply, wash hands after application, let dry forever - my tan turned out awful. One application and I am actually darker than if I used the regular dark tanning mousse! Oh, and I'm orange, too! Even worse - it's streaky and uneven, which should be virtually impossible with a "gradual" product. Yes, I let this stuff dry for 20 minutes, aided by blowdrying on the cool setting, before putting on baggy pajamas...and I was still damp/sticky for hours after. I have random dark brown streaks where too much color developed, even on my elbows, which were pre-moisturized. I did my whole back by myself, and it literally turned out better than my forearms...like, HOW? My palms are stained a dark orange-brown despite washing them twice before the lotion dried on them. I have been scrubbing my streaky spots all day and nothing is lifting them or the stains on my palms. Also, after one quick, warm-ish shower 24 hours later, I am now patchy all over from the GOOD parts of my tan coming off already. I am now trying to even things out with the tinted Instant Glow version, which is also meant to be gradual. The wash-off bronzer in it seems to have more of a green base, so I have hope for the developed color being olive, too! If all else fails, I may actually buy the tan remover. I'll probably try the St Tropez in-shower lotion next, which is reportedly foolproof and extremely gradual...but still has a bronzey color, rather than that yellow tinge other gradual tanners often have. The mousse/mitt method is still my summer go-to, though!

on 7/30/2016 7:43:00 AM

I'm right in the middle with this so I'll do a short pros and cons:

PROS:
Good colour
Doesn't transfer

CONS:
Smell. You can smell this on yourself all day
Doesn't sink in. Especially if it's hot, you can feel a greasy film on your skin.

I won't buy this again as the lingering smell is a huge factor for me.

Seems to work so far! I just received my order from eBay and got the larger size bottle 6.7 oz, the only drawback or complaint would be the overpowering perfume smell! Agh! Its strong! Having said that it really does look natural, not orange or yellow, just a nice sun kissed glow and this was after only one use! I'm liking that! I only use tanners on my legs, so keep that in mind with this review.. Will post another update after I apply a second time, it looks like it could become quite dark if I continue, and that is not the look that is desirable for me... But so far so good! I'm glad I made this purchase! Perfect for summer and avoiding sun rays!

on 9/19/2015 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Overall, this was meh for me. I snagged a travel size from my Sephora points and tried using this on my face. It feels nice going on and smells very floral, and leaves a very nice golden brown color. However, I am naturally palest of the pale and I typically despise gradual formulas because they do little to nothing on my skin. I think this would be good for those looking for a very subtle, light color. But for someone like me who much prefers St. Tropez's bronzing mousse, this was a small pass for me.

on 8/5/2015 7:02:00 PM

I'm so glad that I decided to try this gradual tan! I am the palest of the pale, literally ghostly! This tan is very natural, builable and lasts! It fades out nicely, it doesn't develope or fade out patchy at all which is a breakthrough for me as tan doesn't tend to work well with me! It doesn't smell awful either which is a huge plus! I love that it doesn't stain sheets, clothes or towel as there is no guide colour. It's also very moisturising and leaves your skin feeling beautifully soft! I like to apply this with a mit! TIP: mix with your face moisturiser, that works an absolute treat! I have cystic acne so tan on my face FREAKS the living daylights out of me but when I mix with moisturiser it doesn't aggravate my skin whatsoever.. HALLELUJAH!! The only downside is that it doesn't dry very quickly so having to prance about wearing next to nothing is a must however I can live with this! Would recommend to a friend 100%! Enjoy beautifully, naturally bronzed skin ladies!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Being a little lazy and reviewing 3 self-tanners at once (I only do my legs and always prepare by exfoliating and moisturizing many hours in advance and apply tanner at night a couple of hours before bed). I've used the 3 below at least 4 times each:

Fake Bake Flawless Self Tan Liquid - No
Best applied with Mitt
Pros: Dries quickly, best smell of all
Cons: Streaky, patchy, messy.Color guide is too dark.Color doesn't matter if it's not even! Only lasts 2 days or so. Even though it dries quickly still can get weird areas (bend behind knees or ankles) before next morning rinse.

St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse - Yes
Best applied with Mitt
Pros: Even, nice color, Dries ok. Lasts a good 4 days before fading evenly.
Cons: Doesn't smell that great but goes away after rinsing with water in morning.

St. Tropez Everyday Gradual Tan Body Lotion - Yes
Pros: Even, nice color, can apply with just disposable gloves and not mitt. Lasts a couple of days and reapplication doesn't make it too dark or streaky. Smells alright.
Cons: With use about every 3 days, can get a little yellow-y but not bad. Slower drying but no color guide so staining not as much of an issue.

on 4/28/2015 6:54:00 PM

Love this everyday tanner in light, I apply every day for a couple of days and it leaves my fair skin looking a natural golden tan, never any streaking, builds up nicely, one you have your desired co,our just use every few days to maintain. Regular exfoliation and lots of moisturiser ensure you maintain a great tan. This is a beauty staple to never be without. However I did try this on my face and it broke me out, great for a body tan though.

on 4/28/2015 12:43:00 AM

I've used this product twice. The tan it gives seems to be very nice: the color is not orange and looks natural for now. However, I did notice a few streaks.
The downfall for me is the scent: it does not smell like a self tanner, I agree - it rather smells like a strong old lady perfume, which drives me crazier than if it would smell like a tanning product. The smell is so intense that my mother even asked me what kind of stinky perfume I was wearing.
Also, the price is astonishing: $38 in Canada (whereas the Jergens one is around $10).
Overall, I do not think I will buy it again once I use this bottle up.

on 12/14/2014 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hands down.... My favorite self tanner. I don't really think of it as a gradual tanner because on my fair skin, I get a lot of streak free color from the very first application. I use it 2 to 3 times a week during the warmer months to maintain my "tan". For me, the color is very natural and fades the way a real tan would... Not splotchy at all. I have to admit, I am not very careful about application... I just apply it like a normal moisturizer and it is very forgiving. Let it dry for about 10 minutes before dressing and be sure to wash your hands. The scent is decent... I barely notice it. It is a little pricey but totally worth it in my opinion. One tube lasts me about 2 months and the color and natural fading make it well worth the price in my opinion. I buy a couple at a time when I have have a discount code. Highly recommend!

on 11/12/2014 8:40:00 PM

This is the gold standard, no odor, emollient, the best.