Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

3.8

Silica, Talc, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Kaolin.

on 5/28/2017 11:29:00 PM

I'm disappointed in Tarte cosmetics. I have religiously used their Amazonian Clay Waterproof foundation circa 2011-2012 along with the Smooth Operator loose powder and it was always absolutely flawless. The powder did soften my skin over time and I was impressed. I have combination dry skin and I needed a powder that was gentle on my dry areas. I purchased and repurchased and repurchased until recently.

Back in 2012, the cover of the powder was clear with green leaves surrounding the logo. The powder was very fine in appearance and soft to the touch. I checked the ingredients before I purchased and they were:
Silica, Dehydroacetic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Kaolin, Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride

Recently I repurchased another powder with the new Tarte design on the lid. I never bothered to notice the new texture in the powder but it was much thicker in appearance compared to the old formula. I've purchased the powder several times since the redesign and I never checked the ingredients until a few weeks ago and found out that there's a good amount of talc in the ingredients as well as ingredients I've never seen before:
Silica, talc, polymethylsilsesquioxane, phenoxyethanol, dimethicone, kaolin

Before I realized the new ingredients existed, I tried the pressed powder version for fun and it was incredibly drying. If I remember correctly, it contained talc at the time (currently does not) and I returned it.

Could they be sellouts?

I got this in Ipsy and I liked it. I have found a duplicate which is ELF translucent mineral powder. I used this to set my concealer and it did the job however not liking the price and I will not repurchase because of the price. I do understand this is a high end product though, so maybe high end just isn't for me considering I am a cheapo. This was a good product and for anyone who doesn't mind spending a decent amount of money on makeup, this is the product for you if you are wanting a translucent loose powder.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This product is something magical. My face is usually drenched in oil after 4 hours, but with this I'm at hour 6 and I don't have any oil peeking through my foundation. It has also kept my foundation in place, no clumping here! Definitely replacing this with my MAC Blot Powder!

on 2/25/2016 12:10:00 PM

I've only ever tried this and one other loose finishing powder. My first was ELF HD Loose powder and it lasted me well over a year and costed $3.

Tarte (also being my first MID end powder) cost $36 (i think) and although its generous in size its a bit smaller than the ELF one. I feel the Tarte was much more finely milled and the packaging is much more attractive. I didn't notice a scent. It does a good job at mattifing but not mask like, it leaves more of a natural finish. Like if i use a dewy foundation i still look glowy after applying this. I'm not too oily but my forehead can be at times and this does a good job at controlling oils. It also does a good job at setting my under eye concealer.

I'm also obsessed with using this to set my eyeshadow primer and my eyeshadows don't budge and last all day (12 hours +) and thats using ANY eye shadow formula or primer.

i really like this stuff. Not sure if i would repurchase, as i might want to try a HE loose powder just to compare next time. But if HE gives me the same results i would just use this because of the $.