Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

4.5

Silica, Talc, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Kaolin.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use this to set my makeup for the day. This is something to instantly lock in your makeup before leaving home, not something to touch up with on the go. It's so fine and makes your foundation/concealer instantly matte and smooth. If any liquid products are a little sticky and hard to set on their own this is a good product. If you use too much it can look a little chalky or white but after melting into my skin for a few minutes it goes away completely. A little messy as well (what kind of loose powder isn't though lol) but is a really good product for any girls out there that like to bake. Expensive, yet so worth it.

on 9/11/2016 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I got a deluxe sample of this product as part of a 500 pt perk and it lasted me about two years of using it to set my under eye concealer.

This is a really great product. I don't have a lot of experience with setting powders but this one did a great job preventing my concealer from caking and settling into the fine lines underneath my eye. It also never looked powdery on my tan skin, but deftly took care of any shiny-ness if I was oily or happened to over apply the highlighter.

The only problem with it is that it's messy. If I repurchased, I would probably get the compact rather than the loose powder and see if that works better for me. Right now, however, I'm using a beige urban decay eyeshadow to set my under eye and that's working just fine.

on 2/24/2016 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

OMG YES. This works so well. I can't believe I ever used other powders. This is so matte and the coverage is so good. It balances out my foundation flawlessly. I just bought another and when the dude at Sephora said he thinks they may have ran out, I was like "oh girl, no. not today. I need this powder" He went in the back and found me one. CRACK!

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is probably the best powder I've used for my mostly oily, sensitive skin. I've been using this powder for almost 4 years now and the formula has changed but it's still the best in terms of oil-control and one of the best for smoothing out my large pores.

Pros:
-best oil-control I've used in a powder (old formula was even better at oil-control but still beats other powders in the new formulation)
-smooths out texture, lines and pores very nicely (I see a huge difference in the way my pores look when I use this versus other powders, one of the best powders for this purpose)
-gives a super smooth and silky feel to your skin. bronzer, blush and highlight glide and blend over it nicely
-sets foundation really well even with a small amount, leaves no tackiness behind from foundation
-lightweight
-very finely milled
-non-irritating, doesn't break me out
-makes makeup last amazingly (does this better than other powders. makes it very resistant to water and sweat)
-gives an airbrushed almost flawless, soft-focus effect
-cruelty free, vegan

Cons:
-can be drying/dehydrating (but not as much as the old formula. This powder is much better for oily, combo skin)
-not the best for setting concealer around your eyes (only due to it being a bit too mattifying, I prefer Nars Light Reflecting loose powder for my undereyes)
-cannot "bake" with it (you should avoid baking with all silica-based powders to prevent flash back)
-can leave behind a somewhat powdery look if not blended in properly
-can emphasize dryness and flakiness (if you prep the skin well it won't happen)

Back when my skin was very dry, I disliked this powder because it was way too mattifying on my skin. Now, that my skin is mostly oily again, I love it. I try a lot of powders from high end to drugstore, both silica and talc based and I always come back to this. It's smooth, lasts and controls oil, blurs pores, lightweight, sets foundation perfectly and gives a really nice finish. It does everything I need in a powder. Most powders either look really beautiful on the skin but it doesn't last or it controls oil and lasts well but doesn't look very nice on. This does it all.

on 10/16/2015 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been looking for a good powder for a while now, and I decided to splurge on this one. It's the first time I bought a higher end powder, and I am so glad I did. I use this powder over my liquid foundation (Benefit's Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow), and it keeps me matte all day. I put it on at 6:30AM and it lasts until I take it off at 9:30PM. It looks natural and feels weightless on my face. Plus it makes my skin feel so soft!
I'm still hurting a little from the cost of this. I expect I could find a similar product for a few dollars less, but I haven't yet. Also, the packaging isn't great. I haven't had any spills, but the cap sort of creaks when I close it. I think I might break it if I'm not careful.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my HG powder and I have been using it for about 5 years now. My skin has dry patches but can also get oily and this powder really evens out both textures without emphasizing the dry skin. It also feels really good on the skin and I don't really find that I need to re-apply during the day. Even on days where I'm staying in sometimes I will apply this to control my oil and keep pimples from developing. One thing that sucks is that they changed the packaging since I started using it, before it just had one little hole in the middle and you had to smack the container to get the product out but at least it made it last forever. Now whenever I open the lid I always end up spilling some or putting too much on my brush which drives me mad because it's so damn expensive in Canada and a little works better than too much.

on 1/29/2015 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

MY HG FINISHING POWDER!!!

ok so at first, when im on prescription my skin is normal-light dry so when i put on makeun (read bb creams and foundation) no shine at all... im pleased.
but i know i cant count on the pills forever so i decide to stop the precription and my skin becomes nomal-oily. which i quite like cuz u know, the heatlhy glow kind of thing. BUT when you put on makeup...trust me..THE SHINE was extremetly disturbing, not healthy at all i promsie. sooo i come to suf the internet searching for the best finishing powder to oily skin that most likely wouldn.t clog pores. and i come across a beauty blogger which i subscribe on for quite a long while ago and she said this one is her HG. thats more than enough to convince me to buy the sample size of this.
the sample size is veryyy tiny with two little dots, so i couldn't use the lid yo swirl my Sigma tapered face on it to get the product, im using the lid from bread instead. tap on my Tzone...and i reall2 suprise when im at work and go back at all wihout feeling cakey or heavy on my face. this one absorb my natural oil and set my bb cream really really well!!!

i would suggest this to normal-oily skin type. nif you are to the oily-ver oily zone of sin type, i suggest to use silica powder from coastal scents or MUFE, they're doing the best during the heat of my vacation whereas my face matte and photo friendlyyyyy yaay~

as for the price of full size i would say its reasonable cuz this product will last you for a while. the trial size alone is enough for 1 month +1-2weeks.
yeah, you just need so little of this product i believe.

will defenitely repurchase this if im run out, wbut im keeping my option open for better loose finishing powder eventho i think it wont cbe for quite a while :)))))))))

on 9/18/2014 10:14:00 PM

I really like this powder. It's very finely milled and feels silky on my skin. It doesn't feel or look cakey, just gives a nice matte finish. It does a decent job of controlling shine, so long as I'm using the right moisturizer under my foundation. It also does a nice job of concealing my large pores.

Since I have combination skin, I like to powder my T-zone with a puff, but use a brush to dust it on very lightly on my cheeks. It's for this reason I gave the packaging 1 star--I have to transfer it into another container so I can use the puff effectively.

I have noticed that it does lighten my foundation just a smigde, which works well for me because I can't quite seem to find a perfect match for my bottle-tanned skin in the summer, so using a slightly darker shade and offsetting with this works just fine. I have to wonder, though, if I only dusted with a brush instead of using a puff, would it still lighten the color? I'll have to try that.

I should also mention that I tried using the recommendation to tip it over on its lid and tap it a couple of times. I don't know what the problem was with that particular container, but the top came off so when I opened the container after tapping, I was met with an avalanche of powder. Fortunately, I was able to rescue a good portion of it that was magically balanced in a mountain on the container and transfer it to another container.

In terms of staying power, for me, it all depends on which moisturizer and primer I'm using. I've found lately that using Mac Prep + Prime Moisture Infusion instead of moisturizer and primer is proving to be a good route to go in terms of keeping everything matte throughout the day.

on 7/26/2014 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I only have the small jar but let me tell you this small container will last your forever. I wanted a untinted powder that will set my makeup for all day. The powder is softly milled to the touch and so it made my skin velvety. It sets to a matte finish and keeps your makeup lasting for several hours but you may have to set it a couple of times throughout the day. Your makeup won't be looking nice as it you first applied it. If you have dry skin it will cling on to dry patches and creases into the fine lines making them looking worse than it was before. It also lightens your foundation and makes it look grayish looking? Whenever you use white powder over darker skin tones there is a white film laying on top and this is what it does. So no it's not good for camera and photo taking.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I got a mini size of this loose powder in some value kit so my rating of the packaging (not terrific) may not apply to the full size powder that is sold in stores.

I've been impressed beyond belief with pretty much everything I've purchased from Tarte and this powder is no exception. It leaves no trace of itself once applied except perhaps for a bit of a luminous glow. It's great for controlling oil breakthrough on my nose without making the rest of my face look dry. The only "downside" is that it's a loose powder and, like any loose powder, it can be messy to use, especially if you're in a hurry and not paying attention and it's not great for taking along in your bag for touch-ups.