Tarte Cosmetics Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Tarte Cosmetics Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

4.2

Silica, Talc, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Kaolin.

on 5/23/2018 11:18:00 PM

Goes on very smooth. I buff it out with a brush and it just melts in my skin.

on 5/16/2018 10:28:00 AM

I have combination skin (around my chin gets pretty dry and sometimes flaky and my forehead turns into an oil slick) and this stuff worked great. It didn't emphasize the dry patches and it blurred out any shininess from my forehead. Made my skin feel silky smooth, kind of like a good blurring primer would. I love it! I, however, do not love the price. It is currently on the Tarte website for $33 and that's a bit steep for a gal on a budget like me. For now, I have a sample size and I think it'll last me a long while as I don't wear tons of makeup everyday.

on 5/10/2018 9:34:00 PM

This is the only loose or pressed powder I have ever used to set my under eye concealer that absolutely does not make my under eyes a dry wrinkled mess and takes down the shine of my It Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye (which I love because my eye area is so dry and that concealer is very moist). I also use it on my nose and the large pores on my cheeks right next to the sides of my nose. It's not quite as matte as the Too Faced pressed powder that used to be my favorite but the Too Faced I suspect was clogging my pores and I couldn't use it under my eyes. The Smooth Operator is perfect for me. It makes my skin, even under eyes look super smooth and poreless and clogged pores. LOVE!

I’m giving this all around different ratings: . 4: overall this is effectively excellent in keeping my face matte. I have extremely oily skin. It’s a very good product. No flashback for me in selfies, shine doesn’t seem to seep through for a few hours. I used a cheapo no name mini Beauty blender to press it into my skin. It is angled so it fits ev pore, nook, & cranny of my crater skin so I got a mini of this powder in ipsy May 2018 & it’s a lovely effective product at oil control. But R/O/P. . Price 3: this is a mid end powder. & it’s special. But it’s over $35+ for a container. I’m not cheap w my makeup but $35 seems high for this powder. I paid (cheaper?) for MAC Prep + Prime, but elf has a powder not similar at all for $3. I’m using chanel loose powder for $52. When I spend I really buy the best. I think over all chanel is higher quality & this w its cr-ppy packaging isn’t worth $35. Take it down $10 or $15 I don’t get the frills luxury brand experience from tarte’s brand. . Packaging 2: this has 2 holes. Shaking it and shaking it and shaking it (& shake it some more!!...) is annoying. I have go put in so much effort to get a little amount out. It’s not messier than any other loose powder. But I like to be generous w my loose powder & chanel fits my needs better even if it’s 1/3 more expensive. —- Verdict: no to purchase because I like the experience of makeup to be luxe or fun (eg luxury makeup or chocolate scented like too faced lol that or a really super good deal (eg LA Colors!! $!!) mid end makeup has no place in my collex it’s got to be luxury or like a dollar lol therefore I find mid end makeup to not be for me except MAC/UD I’m a chanel babeez)

on 10/14/2017 2:14:00 PM

Makes skin look flawless.

on 5/28/2017 11:29:00 PM

I'm disappointed in Tarte cosmetics. I have religiously used their Amazonian Clay Waterproof foundation circa 2011-2012 along with the Smooth Operator loose powder and it was always absolutely flawless. The powder did soften my skin over time and I was impressed. I have combination dry skin and I needed a powder that was gentle on my dry areas. I purchased and repurchased and repurchased until recently.

Back in 2012, the cover of the powder was clear with green leaves surrounding the logo. The powder was very fine in appearance and soft to the touch. I checked the ingredients before I purchased and they were:
Silica, Dehydroacetic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Kaolin, Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride

Recently I repurchased another powder with the new Tarte design on the lid. I never bothered to notice the new texture in the powder but it was much thicker in appearance compared to the old formula. I've purchased the powder several times since the redesign and I never checked the ingredients until a few weeks ago and found out that there's a good amount of talc in the ingredients as well as ingredients I've never seen before:
Silica, talc, polymethylsilsesquioxane, phenoxyethanol, dimethicone, kaolin

Before I realized the new ingredients existed, I tried the pressed powder version for fun and it was incredibly drying. If I remember correctly, it contained talc at the time (currently does not) and I returned it.

Could they be sellouts?

on 4/17/2017 5:49:00 PM

I am really liking this, but it is the first loose setting powder I have used, so there may be better out there. It does help my foundation and concealer stay, and doesn't really add too much of a matte look or too much of a glowy look. It is more of a natural finish. What I really like is how it makes adding powder products easier. When I use this, my blush and bronzer goes on so smoothly and blends super easily. This is definitely more of a high maintenance product, as it gets messy and adds time to my routine, but I do like it for when I want a done up look.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use this to set my makeup for the day. This is something to instantly lock in your makeup before leaving home, not something to touch up with on the go. It's so fine and makes your foundation/concealer instantly matte and smooth. If any liquid products are a little sticky and hard to set on their own this is a good product. If you use too much it can look a little chalky or white but after melting into my skin for a few minutes it goes away completely. A little messy as well (what kind of loose powder isn't though lol) but is a really good product for any girls out there that like to bake. Expensive, yet so worth it.

Unfortunately, this powder made my undereyes look dry and cakey. I have combo skin. My nose and undereye can get a bit oily while everywhere else is normal. I look for a smooth, creamy powder that won't crease. This powder was chalky, dry, and left a weird residue on my skin. The packaging is also quite messy. Every time I open it, powder goes everywhere. I love other tarte products, but this one did not work for my skin type.

on 3/26/2017 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Before this, I only wore translucent loose powder to mattify my makeup, which Mac does reasonably well. But Tarte takes it to a whole new level. When I wear this, my skin looks flawless and airbrushed. It also sets my under eye concealer very well and leaves it uncreased for 4 hours - no mean feat considering I have horrendous eye bags and wrinkles. This is what I call a hardworking powder.