Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

4.2

Silica, Talc, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Kaolin.

Unfortunately, this powder made my undereyes look dry and cakey. I have combo skin. My nose and undereye can get a bit oily while everywhere else is normal. I look for a smooth, creamy powder that won't crease. This powder was chalky, dry, and left a weird residue on my skin. The packaging is also quite messy. Every time I open it, powder goes everywhere. I love other tarte products, but this one did not work for my skin type.

on 5/28/2017 11:29:00 PM

I'm disappointed in Tarte cosmetics. I have religiously used their Amazonian Clay Waterproof foundation circa 2011-2012 along with the Smooth Operator loose powder and it was always absolutely flawless. The powder did soften my skin over time and I was impressed. I have combination dry skin and I needed a powder that was gentle on my dry areas. I purchased and repurchased and repurchased until recently.

Back in 2012, the cover of the powder was clear with green leaves surrounding the logo. The powder was very fine in appearance and soft to the touch. I checked the ingredients before I purchased and they were:
Silica, Dehydroacetic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Kaolin, Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride

Recently I repurchased another powder with the new Tarte design on the lid. I never bothered to notice the new texture in the powder but it was much thicker in appearance compared to the old formula. I've purchased the powder several times since the redesign and I never checked the ingredients until a few weeks ago and found out that there's a good amount of talc in the ingredients as well as ingredients I've never seen before:
Silica, talc, polymethylsilsesquioxane, phenoxyethanol, dimethicone, kaolin

Before I realized the new ingredients existed, I tried the pressed powder version for fun and it was incredibly drying. If I remember correctly, it contained talc at the time (currently does not) and I returned it.

Could they be sellouts?

on 8/11/2016 11:17:00 PM

Translucent setting powder that's easy to apply albeit slightly messy. I found that this didn't improve the wear time of my makeup and made my t-zone shinier faster while drying out my cheeks and forehead. I used this product for the last couple of years with better success and just recently had the above-mentioned problem. Maybe Tarte recently reformulated and I didn't realize?

on 7/26/2014 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I only have the small jar but let me tell you this small container will last your forever. I wanted a untinted powder that will set my makeup for all day. The powder is softly milled to the touch and so it made my skin velvety. It sets to a matte finish and keeps your makeup lasting for several hours but you may have to set it a couple of times throughout the day. Your makeup won't be looking nice as it you first applied it. If you have dry skin it will cling on to dry patches and creases into the fine lines making them looking worse than it was before. It also lightens your foundation and makes it look grayish looking? Whenever you use white powder over darker skin tones there is a white film laying on top and this is what it does. So no it's not good for camera and photo taking.

Don't get me wrong I love this product. It's a very light-weight powder and is amazing to bake with. But if you're going somewhere and going to take a lot of flash photography.. DO NOT USE THIS!!! The powder will show up in the flash and it will look HORRIBLE. For everyday wear when you're not going to be taking pictures, use this it's amazing. But don't use this to take flash photos. It looks horrible.

on 9/2/2015 2:20:00 AM

i was so disappointed because I love this product so much but unfortunately the packaging was what killed this for me. The powder got everywhere to the point that I couldn't use it anymore.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I received this powder in a mini size from a kit. I love most all Tarte products (especially their maracuja oil). I found this powder to be meh-ok. It is too drying for skin that gets flakies... I felt it dried out my skin too much. The finish was a bit too dull-matte as well. I prefer a bit of a luminous finish. A little does go a long way with this though. The mini version's packaging is frustrating due to the holes out of which the product dispenses being a little too small.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was a pretty mediocre powder in my opinion. It isn't cheap and only works like any average powder. My key use of applying powder is to keep my skin matte but this doesn't do much for my oily skin in hot summer weather. I had bought it due to raves from beauty youtuber frmheadtotoe. She had also recommended tarte's blush in exposed and I had loved it. The packaging of putting some on the cap does not appeal to me as much. It has no scent whatsoever and does look nice when first applied to makeup. After 3hours, I need to blot my face on my T-zone. After 5-6hours, I need to blot my cheeks and rest of my face. Will not repurchase.

on 4/17/2017 5:49:00 PM

I am really liking this, but it is the first loose setting powder I have used, so there may be better out there. It does help my foundation and concealer stay, and doesn't really add too much of a matte look or too much of a glowy look. It is more of a natural finish. What I really like is how it makes adding powder products easier. When I use this, my blush and bronzer goes on so smoothly and blends super easily. This is definitely more of a high maintenance product, as it gets messy and adds time to my routine, but I do like it for when I want a done up look.

I got this in Ipsy and I liked it. I have found a duplicate which is ELF translucent mineral powder. I used this to set my concealer and it did the job however not liking the price and I will not repurchase because of the price. I do understand this is a high end product though, so maybe high end just isn't for me considering I am a cheapo. This was a good product and for anyone who doesn't mind spending a decent amount of money on makeup, this is the product for you if you are wanting a translucent loose powder.