Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Filtered by age: 36-43
Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

4.3

Silica, Talc, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Kaolin.

on 2/24/2016 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

OMG YES. This works so well. I can't believe I ever used other powders. This is so matte and the coverage is so good. It balances out my foundation flawlessly. I just bought another and when the dude at Sephora said he thinks they may have ran out, I was like "oh girl, no. not today. I need this powder" He went in the back and found me one. CRACK!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I received this powder in a mini size from a kit. I love most all Tarte products (especially their maracuja oil). I found this powder to be meh-ok. It is too drying for skin that gets flakies... I felt it dried out my skin too much. The finish was a bit too dull-matte as well. I prefer a bit of a luminous finish. A little does go a long way with this though. The mini version's packaging is frustrating due to the holes out of which the product dispenses being a little too small.

on 9/18/2014 10:14:00 PM

I really like this powder. It's very finely milled and feels silky on my skin. It doesn't feel or look cakey, just gives a nice matte finish. It does a decent job of controlling shine, so long as I'm using the right moisturizer under my foundation. It also does a nice job of concealing my large pores.

Since I have combination skin, I like to powder my T-zone with a puff, but use a brush to dust it on very lightly on my cheeks. It's for this reason I gave the packaging 1 star--I have to transfer it into another container so I can use the puff effectively.

I have noticed that it does lighten my foundation just a smigde, which works well for me because I can't quite seem to find a perfect match for my bottle-tanned skin in the summer, so using a slightly darker shade and offsetting with this works just fine. I have to wonder, though, if I only dusted with a brush instead of using a puff, would it still lighten the color? I'll have to try that.

I should also mention that I tried using the recommendation to tip it over on its lid and tap it a couple of times. I don't know what the problem was with that particular container, but the top came off so when I opened the container after tapping, I was met with an avalanche of powder. Fortunately, I was able to rescue a good portion of it that was magically balanced in a mountain on the container and transfer it to another container.

In terms of staying power, for me, it all depends on which moisturizer and primer I'm using. I've found lately that using Mac Prep + Prime Moisture Infusion instead of moisturizer and primer is proving to be a good route to go in terms of keeping everything matte throughout the day.