Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Filtered by age: 25-29
Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

3.7

Silica, Talc, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Kaolin.

on 5/28/2017 11:29:00 PM

I'm disappointed in Tarte cosmetics. I have religiously used their Amazonian Clay Waterproof foundation circa 2011-2012 along with the Smooth Operator loose powder and it was always absolutely flawless. The powder did soften my skin over time and I was impressed. I have combination dry skin and I needed a powder that was gentle on my dry areas. I purchased and repurchased and repurchased until recently.

Back in 2012, the cover of the powder was clear with green leaves surrounding the logo. The powder was very fine in appearance and soft to the touch. I checked the ingredients before I purchased and they were:
Silica, Dehydroacetic Acid, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Kaolin, Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride

Recently I repurchased another powder with the new Tarte design on the lid. I never bothered to notice the new texture in the powder but it was much thicker in appearance compared to the old formula. I've purchased the powder several times since the redesign and I never checked the ingredients until a few weeks ago and found out that there's a good amount of talc in the ingredients as well as ingredients I've never seen before:
Silica, talc, polymethylsilsesquioxane, phenoxyethanol, dimethicone, kaolin

Before I realized the new ingredients existed, I tried the pressed powder version for fun and it was incredibly drying. If I remember correctly, it contained talc at the time (currently does not) and I returned it.

Could they be sellouts?

Unfortunately, this powder made my undereyes look dry and cakey. I have combo skin. My nose and undereye can get a bit oily while everywhere else is normal. I look for a smooth, creamy powder that won't crease. This powder was chalky, dry, and left a weird residue on my skin. The packaging is also quite messy. Every time I open it, powder goes everywhere. I love other tarte products, but this one did not work for my skin type.

on 9/11/2016 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I got a deluxe sample of this product as part of a 500 pt perk and it lasted me about two years of using it to set my under eye concealer.

This is a really great product. I don't have a lot of experience with setting powders but this one did a great job preventing my concealer from caking and settling into the fine lines underneath my eye. It also never looked powdery on my tan skin, but deftly took care of any shiny-ness if I was oily or happened to over apply the highlighter.

The only problem with it is that it's messy. If I repurchased, I would probably get the compact rather than the loose powder and see if that works better for me. Right now, however, I'm using a beige urban decay eyeshadow to set my under eye and that's working just fine.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This product is something magical. My face is usually drenched in oil after 4 hours, but with this I'm at hour 6 and I don't have any oil peeking through my foundation. It has also kept my foundation in place, no clumping here! Definitely replacing this with my MAC Blot Powder!

on 1/29/2015 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

MY HG FINISHING POWDER!!!

ok so at first, when im on prescription my skin is normal-light dry so when i put on makeun (read bb creams and foundation) no shine at all... im pleased.
but i know i cant count on the pills forever so i decide to stop the precription and my skin becomes nomal-oily. which i quite like cuz u know, the heatlhy glow kind of thing. BUT when you put on makeup...trust me..THE SHINE was extremetly disturbing, not healthy at all i promsie. sooo i come to suf the internet searching for the best finishing powder to oily skin that most likely wouldn.t clog pores. and i come across a beauty blogger which i subscribe on for quite a long while ago and she said this one is her HG. thats more than enough to convince me to buy the sample size of this.
the sample size is veryyy tiny with two little dots, so i couldn't use the lid yo swirl my Sigma tapered face on it to get the product, im using the lid from bread instead. tap on my Tzone...and i reall2 suprise when im at work and go back at all wihout feeling cakey or heavy on my face. this one absorb my natural oil and set my bb cream really really well!!!

i would suggest this to normal-oily skin type. nif you are to the oily-ver oily zone of sin type, i suggest to use silica powder from coastal scents or MUFE, they're doing the best during the heat of my vacation whereas my face matte and photo friendlyyyyy yaay~

as for the price of full size i would say its reasonable cuz this product will last you for a while. the trial size alone is enough for 1 month +1-2weeks.
yeah, you just need so little of this product i believe.

will defenitely repurchase this if im run out, wbut im keeping my option open for better loose finishing powder eventho i think it wont cbe for quite a while :)))))))))

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is a great finishing and pore refining powder. I really liked the Make Up Forever finishing powder but I had to use a lot so the value wasn't very good. This one recquires less and really lasts on the skin. I have oily skin and enlarged pores so this works very well for me.
I apply with a small mineral foundation brush under my eyes and with a large kabuki brush for my whole face and I don't need to reapply or anything, it has a really awesome blurring affecting for any skin imperfections and feels really good on, like a soft veil rather than a heavy powder. I will be repurchasing when I run out, I only have the trial size that came in the Bon Voyage set but at this rate I will not be needing to rebuy for a while!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This was a pretty mediocre powder in my opinion. It isn't cheap and only works like any average powder. My key use of applying powder is to keep my skin matte but this doesn't do much for my oily skin in hot summer weather. I had bought it due to raves from beauty youtuber frmheadtotoe. She had also recommended tarte's blush in exposed and I had loved it. The packaging of putting some on the cap does not appeal to me as much. It has no scent whatsoever and does look nice when first applied to makeup. After 3hours, I need to blot my face on my T-zone. After 5-6hours, I need to blot my cheeks and rest of my face. Will not repurchase.