Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

Filtered by age: 19-24
Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder
Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder

4.7

Silica, Talc, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone, Kaolin.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use this to set my makeup for the day. This is something to instantly lock in your makeup before leaving home, not something to touch up with on the go. It's so fine and makes your foundation/concealer instantly matte and smooth. If any liquid products are a little sticky and hard to set on their own this is a good product. If you use too much it can look a little chalky or white but after melting into my skin for a few minutes it goes away completely. A little messy as well (what kind of loose powder isn't though lol) but is a really good product for any girls out there that like to bake. Expensive, yet so worth it.

on 11/4/2016 2:43:00 PM

This is amazing! I like light coverage, so I use this with the Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Cream, and it doesn't look powder-y at all. It just kind of sets the BB cream underneath and gives it more of a matte finish. It also makes my makeup last longer!

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is probably the best powder I've used for my mostly oily, sensitive skin. I've been using this powder for almost 4 years now and the formula has changed but it's still the best in terms of oil-control and one of the best for smoothing out my large pores.

Pros:
-best oil-control I've used in a powder (old formula was even better at oil-control but still beats other powders in the new formulation)
-smooths out texture, lines and pores very nicely (I see a huge difference in the way my pores look when I use this versus other powders, one of the best powders for this purpose)
-gives a super smooth and silky feel to your skin. bronzer, blush and highlight glide and blend over it nicely
-sets foundation really well even with a small amount, leaves no tackiness behind from foundation
-lightweight
-very finely milled
-non-irritating, doesn't break me out
-makes makeup last amazingly (does this better than other powders. makes it very resistant to water and sweat)
-gives an airbrushed almost flawless, soft-focus effect
-cruelty free, vegan

Cons:
-can be drying/dehydrating (but not as much as the old formula. This powder is much better for oily, combo skin)
-not the best for setting concealer around your eyes (only due to it being a bit too mattifying, I prefer Nars Light Reflecting loose powder for my undereyes)
-cannot "bake" with it (you should avoid baking with all silica-based powders to prevent flash back)
-can leave behind a somewhat powdery look if not blended in properly
-can emphasize dryness and flakiness (if you prep the skin well it won't happen)

Back when my skin was very dry, I disliked this powder because it was way too mattifying on my skin. Now, that my skin is mostly oily again, I love it. I try a lot of powders from high end to drugstore, both silica and talc based and I always come back to this. It's smooth, lasts and controls oil, blurs pores, lightweight, sets foundation perfectly and gives a really nice finish. It does everything I need in a powder. Most powders either look really beautiful on the skin but it doesn't last or it controls oil and lasts well but doesn't look very nice on. This does it all.

on 10/16/2015 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been looking for a good powder for a while now, and I decided to splurge on this one. It's the first time I bought a higher end powder, and I am so glad I did. I use this powder over my liquid foundation (Benefit's Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow), and it keeps me matte all day. I put it on at 6:30AM and it lasts until I take it off at 9:30PM. It looks natural and feels weightless on my face. Plus it makes my skin feel so soft!
I'm still hurting a little from the cost of this. I expect I could find a similar product for a few dollars less, but I haven't yet. Also, the packaging isn't great. I haven't had any spills, but the cap sort of creaks when I close it. I think I might break it if I'm not careful.

on 9/2/2015 2:20:00 AM

i was so disappointed because I love this product so much but unfortunately the packaging was what killed this for me. The powder got everywhere to the point that I couldn't use it anymore.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my HG powder and I have been using it for about 5 years now. My skin has dry patches but can also get oily and this powder really evens out both textures without emphasizing the dry skin. It also feels really good on the skin and I don't really find that I need to re-apply during the day. Even on days where I'm staying in sometimes I will apply this to control my oil and keep pimples from developing. One thing that sucks is that they changed the packaging since I started using it, before it just had one little hole in the middle and you had to smack the container to get the product out but at least it made it last forever. Now whenever I open the lid I always end up spilling some or putting too much on my brush which drives me mad because it's so damn expensive in Canada and a little works better than too much.

on 3/5/2014 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Really like the finish, packaging and feel of this product.

1. Finish- matte and natural but not cakey. Looks good in photos.

2. Packaging- screwtop lid with the shaker top. I upside down the container to tap the bottom lightly and then open it. There is a suitable amount of product on the underside of the lid which also gives me room to swirl it around to distribute on the brush. Really convenient especially when you have 8am lectures.

3. Feel- OH MAN GUYS the finish is so silky and smooth its fantastic.

Didn't like the lasting power:

4. Lasting power- when I get home from school only my nose will be some degree of shiny but I don't reapply during the day so that is somewhat expected. My skin is combination so that might be why.

Forgot to mention a little goes a long way so the price is actually okay.
Would rebuy if I lost or used up.