TATCHA Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder

TATCHA Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder

2.3

on 9/3/2015 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Gorgeous packaging. I love the idea of a powder wash/exfoliant. I've tried a few Tatcha products in the past and didn't have good results but that packaging and all the rave reviews... I'm back, giving it another try. I purchased the full-size Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder and have used it numerous times, and every time my skin is left feeling extremely tight and dry. I have oily/dehydrated skin that's also quite reactive/sensitive and clog prone. There's a reason the directions say to use for only 10-20 seconds. According to Tatcha chemists in Japan, the pH is 9! That doesn't sound gentle to me. If you have normal skin or a strong moisture barrier then this might be ok for occasional use, but I don't understand the overall benefit.

on 2/13/2015 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I wish this had worked for me since I love the idea of a gentle exfoliant, but unfortunately this was a bust. My skin is normal, with some dry areas depending on weather and allergies, and super sensitive. I bought this to use as an exfoliant a couple times a week rather than as an everyday cleanser.

The jar is nice and makes it easy to dispense the powder without a big mess, and I like the mobile closure over the pour spout so it's extra secure if traveling. After washing with my regular facial cleanser to remove makeup, I used the suggested half teaspoon amount in the palm of my hand and added some water to make a foam. It doesn't foam up a ton, it's more of a minimal foam that doesn't last very long once it's applied to my face. Nearly all traces of the foam disappears after a moment of rubbing in and it feels almost difficult to spread it around. Then it completely disappears and I feel like I'm massaging water into my skin. I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to remove makeup with this as I doubt it would take off anything.

Honestly, this doesn't make my skin feel softer or better at all. It doesn't feel like it's doing much of anything, even providing a gentle exfoliation. And afterwards my skin feels stripped in a way, like that squeaky clean type of sensation that isn't comfortable for skin that's as sensitive as mine is. Typically I dislike exfoliants because I tend to take a very gentle approach to my skincare, but I do like plain Adzuki bean powder mixed in with my regular cleanser twice a week. So it's not as if I'm unused to exfoliants. But I've never had one that makes my skin feel so odd afterwards.

The pros are that it didn't turn my skin pink or make it sting, and the very light scent was pleasant. But otherwise I didn't like this at all and I'm returning it.

on 1/16/2015 7:41:00 PM

One of my biggest skin care issues is getting exfoliation right. My skin is both sensitive and clog prone -- I swing between bumpiness under the skin if I neglect exfoliation, and irritation from over-exfoliating. Even if something works well, I have a problem with finding the right schedule for it. I haven't been long-term successful with the Clarisonic or konjac sponges, and former HG Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Liquid is now a bit much. Dermatologica Microfoliant became a body scrub pretty quickly for me. I love Evan Healy products, but relying exclusively on them swung me to the clog-prone side after awhile.

So I got a travel-sized version of this for $15. And it's good! It does the job without irritating my skin, and somehow I find it easy to look at product like this and ask, "Do I need it today or not?" It's quite pleasant to use and my skin looks and feels wonderfully smooth afterward. I use even less than the recommended half teaspoon and it seems like it will last awhile.

UPDATE: Yes, the trial size does last and last! The reason being, I like this for occasional use but really can't imagine using it daily. Also, I have since read reviews suggesting that the pH is quite high, and therefore it can't be as gentle as it claims to be.