TATCHA Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder

TATCHA Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder

3.3

on 9/3/2015 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Gorgeous packaging. I love the idea of a powder wash/exfoliant. I've tried a few Tatcha products in the past and didn't have good results but that packaging and all the rave reviews... I'm back, giving it another try. I purchased the full-size Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder and have used it numerous times, and every time my skin is left feeling extremely tight and dry. I have oily/dehydrated skin that's also quite reactive/sensitive and clog prone. There's a reason the directions say to use for only 10-20 seconds. According to Tatcha chemists in Japan, the pH is 9! That doesn't sound gentle to me. If you have normal skin or a strong moisture barrier then this might be ok for occasional use, but I don't understand the overall benefit.

on 1/16/2015 7:41:00 PM

One of my biggest skin care issues is getting exfoliation right. My skin is both sensitive and clog prone -- I swing between bumpiness under the skin if I neglect exfoliation, and irritation from over-exfoliating. Even if something works well, I have a problem with finding the right schedule for it. I haven't been long-term successful with the Clarisonic or konjac sponges, and former HG Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Liquid is now a bit much. Dermatologica Microfoliant became a body scrub pretty quickly for me. I love Evan Healy products, but relying exclusively on them swung me to the clog-prone side after awhile.

So I got a travel-sized version of this for $15. And it's good! It does the job without irritating my skin, and somehow I find it easy to look at product like this and ask, "Do I need it today or not?" It's quite pleasant to use and my skin looks and feels wonderfully smooth afterward. I use even less than the recommended half teaspoon and it seems like it will last awhile.

UPDATE: Yes, the trial size does last and last! The reason being, I like this for occasional use but really can't imagine using it daily. Also, I have since read reviews suggesting that the pH is quite high, and therefore it can't be as gentle as it claims to be.

on 5/7/2014 8:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have been using the Tatcha line of skincare products for over six months now and I am quite pleased with how beautiful, refined and soothed my skin has become. For reference, my skin is sensitive, prone to redness and becoming drier over time as I progress through perimenopause. What used to work for my skin before when it was an oil slick, now results in redness and irritation. Tatcha Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder is very effective at exfoliating my skin without irritation. I use it twice a day and have not had any reactions, blemishes or irritations of any sort. I use it after cleansing with the Tatcha Cleansing Oil. A little of this product goes a very long way: just sprinkle a half a teaspoon onto the palm of your wet hands (make sure your face is still very wet) and rub your palms together to create a foamy lather and lightly massage over your fact for 10-20 seconds and rinse. It's that simple and your skin is left baby soft and smooth. While the product may appear pricey as does the whole Tatcha line, a little goes a long way with all of their products. I find that the rice powder and the other products last for months. And the results are worth it. Highly recommend!