John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss

John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss

3.2

All Shades: Water, Propylene Carbonate, Alcohol Denat., Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone, Fragrance, Sodium Hydroxide, Dimethiconol, Malic Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone. Cool Blondes: Ext. Violet 2 Warm Blondes: Ext. Violet 2, Orange 4 Cool Brunettes & Warm Brunettes: Ext. Violet 2, Orange 4, Yellow 10 Cool Reds: Red 33, Ext. Violet 2 Warm Reds: Orange 4, Red 33, Ext. Violet 2

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Love this product! It leaves my color treated black hair so silky, shiny & revamped between colorings as I aim to use this once a week. I use Ion Color Brilliance's Jet Black from Sally's Beauty Supply & although this says it can be used with any "drugstore" box color it works perfectly fine with my Ion Color. My one & only con, which is why I take one lippie off is because they recommend that you use so much product at every application of this & if used once a week like I do it will run out very quickly.

on 3/24/2016 10:59:00 AM

Yes, this works well for making my normally fading brown hair look refreshed and the color brighter in between dying it. However, I prefer the clear glaze because this seems to make my hair crunchier and more tangled whereas clear glaze left it in a much much better condition-silky, shiny, and not tangled.

To Read all 37 Reviews, Login or Join

It appears that John Frieda is dropping products for dark to medium honey gold blondes and concentrating on much lighter shades. I purchased John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss for warm blonds, hoping it would add a touch of honey to my medium blonde hair. Luckily, I decided to test an area first after reading a review on another site of how dissatisfied another woman was with this product. The result was a lovely shine which was a bit glossier than my hair, but it actually lifted the color into a lighter range. Am I ever glad I tested this first! Looked like it took a level 8 to a level 9.

Why John Frieda has decided that we all want lighter blonde hair and nobody wants a true honey gold is beyond me. This company has lost me as a customer after many, many years. They have just revamped their entire line, and IMO, not for the better.

on 1/23/2016 3:00:00 AM

I really like this color refresh gloss, I think it really livens up the color/extend your dye job.

I like to dye my hair a medium brown shade, as that's the most flattering for my skin tone. this plus the JF deep conditioner really makes a difference in extending imo. I use this about 3 weeks into a fresh color session as around that time it starts to fade bc I do have to wash my hair everyday bc I have fine hair and if I don't, it just becomes a great mess, but back on track

I like to dye my hair a cool tone brown even tho my undertone might be warm? I still can't really figure that out even after watching countless yt vids on it.

this helps to take out /eliminate the coppery tones that appear when color starts to fade, and if u add the shampoo and conditioner system in the brilliant brunettes line as a daily thing + the weekly deep conditioner for color 👆 that whole system can extend your color and keep it fresh a good 3 months imo.

on 1/13/2016 11:55:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This product is a miracle in a bottle for my hair. I have very fine, med. ash blonde hair, which I color myself every month. I think I color my hair just as much for the "lift" that it gives my hair as I do for the actual color which is probably 40% grey and becomes very limp and floppy even about a week after coloring. It also tends to become very brassy even though I use an ash tone which is my natural color. I was at my wits end until I tried this product. The first time I used it I was amazed. The brassiness is gone and the more I use it til the next coloring the more I love it...and no more floppy hair! It feels like freshly colored hair with body and shine! I love it! And, there is enough in the bottle to last for a couple of months if you have a shorter style like I do. John Frieda, where have you been all my life?

This product in cool brown worked well for my brown hair with a bit of brassiness, toned it nicely. I have 60% grey hair which I color myself, my hair also tends to dryness and is porous. This may not work so well on really strong healthy hair which can be less porous.

on 8/29/2015 6:29:00 AM

I tried this years ago when I had a rich, deep, bright red color in my hair. Much to my chagrin, this product failed to deposit color in my hair. I had much more like with Aveda's color-depositing products, but in truth, I do not think that any of these products lives up to their claims. This has a very jelly-like consistency and does not smell pleasant. I also found it to be a bit drying on my hair. I would not repurchase this.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The product for cool brunettes is a waste of money. This de-conditions my hair and does nothing for the color. If anything, I feel like my color looks more faded after using. I purchased this at the same time as I purchased a box of John Frieda color. (I've been using the color for a couple of years now and I am perfectly happy with it.) No point in adding the gloss. Save your money and your time.

on 7/22/2015 6:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Well, no. I have dark brown hair but underneath i have bleached/dyed red hair so my hair is brassy. I thought this would be perfect until my next coloring. I washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo (as you should do if you do a gloss or a toner) and left the gloss for 5 minutes. It did NOTHING. Nada, zero. My hair looks exactly the same as before. I am disappointed. Fortunately it was on sale so i only paid 5$ but still...Oh well.

on 4/27/2015 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I have dark black hair with brunette highlights that were getting brassy. I didn't want to have to go into the salon and pay for toner, so I bought this gloss in cool brunette. It worked perfectly! My highlights were returned to their non-orange state (and may even look better/more natural than when I first got the highlights). As for the "glossing" aspect of the product, I didn't notice much change except that my hair was very soft right after I used it. Though my hair is fairly healthy normally, so that didn't bother me too much. This product is definitely worth a try for those who want to avoid those awful orange streaks in their hair.