Clairol Expert Age Defy Light Brown #6

Clairol Expert Age Defy Light Brown #6

2.8

on 4/12/2016 3:59:00 PM

I used Dark Blonde 7 on medium brown with highlights that were done in July 2015, which were quite grown out.

I have shoulder length, layered hair and there wasn't enough of the pretreatment to do my whole head. The consistency is like hair gel and it leaves your hair stiff just like it.

Now, the color creme and activating creme once mixed together does not thicken up, no matter how much you shake it. And it is like applying water to your hair. My walls, bathroom sink, and floor now look like a leopard. Not to mention this stuff just drips all over your face, neck, and ears. Luckily I have been dying my own hair for at least 20 years, so I know a trick or two to get the dye off that stains your skin.

As for grey coverage, that is laughable at most. I only have a few greys and they happen to be right in the front on top. Started there, as per the directions, and it didn't even touch them. I even left the dye on for the extra 10 minutes as the directions suggest. Nope still there and very much noticeable because, and this is the kicker of it all, it turned my roots red. It didn't even change the color of the length of my hair. I had done highlights months ago(July 2015), which this stuff didn't even do anything to.

The worst part is, I now have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to fix this mess. I will be walking around with red roots and brown and blonde length from my previous highlights.

So, in conclusion, I am sorry I wasted my $10 on this product and I will make sure that all my friends know not to use it, as it would just be a waste of money. I will just go back to the product that has never done me wrong.

I wanted light brown roots, but unfortunately the medium brown works better. This is about the 3rd or 4th time that I tried this shade hoping that with strict adherence to the directions, it would cover the few grey hair that I have. It didn't work. Now I have to redo my hair again with the medium brown. What a waste of time.

To Read all 15 Reviews, Login or Join

on 5/1/2015 5:19:00 AM

Age Defy user for a year, best gray coverage I've found. I have thick dark auburn hair and a lot of it, started going gray slowly at 30. Now the very front is coarse white which goes to mixed then brown in back. My hair is strong and dye resistant, but once colored stays colored. I get three root touch ups per box. If I have time I let the pre-treatment dry so color application is less drippy. I'd read Age Defy colors are dark, they are. I usually mix two shades of dye to get more dimension, but the color still seems a bit flat. Even so, very pretty color and leaves my hair in good condition.

on 2/14/2015 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Tried it twice in shade #6 (Light Brown), and I'm done. Ugh! The only nice things I have to say about this hair color is- 1) It doesn't have a strong odor and; 2) the results are natural-looking and; 3) the color IS pretty. Now here is what I did NOT like about this product and why I will not repurchase:

This is more expensive than your typical boxed hair color. I paid about $5 more for this Clairol Expert Age Defy, and mistakenly thought it would be a superior product. Boy was I wrong! There are so many things I do not like about it. I don't like the pre-treatment gel that comes with this. I don't know if you can skip using it, so I followed the directions both times and bit the bullet. It made my hair hard and stiff, and I don't think it made the hair color go on any easier or covered the grays any better like it claims to. As for the color, the formula is horrible as far as applying it goes. Drippy, drippy, and MORE drippy! Comes out like mustard that's been left out in the hot sun! I went thru a half-of-a-roll of paper towels applying this junk! It kept dripping down my face, on my back, around my ears; and I kept getting random splashes on my bathroom floor, sink, and fixtures. (Good thing I rolled up my bathroom rugs and pushed them to a far corner before starting application.) Such an annoying mess this makes! I left this on for more than 25 minutes because I spent so much time stopping in between to wipe up the messes. After all that, I noticed I had staining on certain areas of my face after the color was rinsed out and my hair was blow-dried. When I rubbed off the obnoxious-looking stains that would have been embarrassing to walk around in public with, I noticed some of the hair color around the staining was removed, too! So after all that, now I had gray hairs shining thru as if I never colored! Ugh! I also did not like the conditioner in the tube that comes with this. For whatever reason, it makes my hair too soft and very flat. Typically, I love those after- coloring conditioners that come in the tubes, and I use them randomly throughout the month. But NOT this one. Could be just my hair or my type of water, I don't know for sure. All I know is, the ones that come with the regular Clairol hair color or even with the L'Oreal hair color have always been wonderful for my hair. This one makes my hair feel too soft and sucks all the body out of it (and I don't have much to begin with), so I just threw the tube in the garbage this time.

I would never buy this Clairol AgeDefy garbage again. From now on, I will stick with what I know is good for me. And just for the record, I have short, fine, layered hair.

on 1/30/2015 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Absolute rubbish. Failed utterly to do what it promised. Do not buy.

I have about 20 grey hairs total in my fine, silky, baby-thin hair. Should not be a problem to cover. My greys are neither plentiful nor thick and frizzy.

I bought shade 8A for my 6N hair, which is what I usually buy. I followed the directions and left the mixture on for forty minutes not twenty-five. Not only that, I made sure it was combed through thoroughly.

After colouring and drying, I inspected my hair under bright light. Were my greys covered? Were they hell!

The greys were still there. Not as many, but this product failed to completely cover my small handful of fine greys. God knows where I'll be in 6-8 weeks. I'm not expecting this product to last at all, given that it couldn't even cover my greys in the first place. Like L'Oreal, I expect I'll end up re-colouring in 4 weeks and exposing myself to ever more chemicals.

Other cons: Thin, dripping liquid, weird pre-treatment that extended the chore and resulted in uneven coverage, expensive for boxed home colour.

Pros: Nice colour, as shown on the box, and lack of smell. Did not pull any red, unlike most home colours.

P.S. One star for packaging. Who the hell cares about the packaging of home hair colour? It could come wrapped in fish and chip paper for all I care. One star for a useless, pointless question.

on 10/12/2014 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Always used semi perm colr so I was a bit nervous to try but love love the results. The color is exactly what the box shows and covered the grays nicely. I will wait to see how long the color hold up but would def use this product again.

I've been home coloring my medium/dark brown hair for years. I'm 47 and have maybe 20% gray, so I've used every single brand on the market and found some to be better than others. I purchased this product in "Medium Brown." I'm definitely pleased at the gray coverage and the color. It looks completely natural and was easy to use and smelled pleasant. To me it seems "Darker Medium Brown" -- which is my natural hair color -- than "Medium Brown." So keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that often what you get on the first day isn't what it will look like in a week! Sometimes having it darker for a few days is worth it to avoid the eventual wash out you sometimes get with lighter colors. I'll definitely buy this again!!

on 8/29/2014 10:04:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I used medium ash brown. The color is gorgeous. A lighter dark brown. It's blends perfectly with my med brown hair. The problem is the gray coverage. I only kept it on 25 mins as directed. It's been a week since I used it and the grays are still there. I noticed them the minute I washed out the color. I am not fully gray, but still I color every 5-6 weeks at home to cover my roots. I typically use L'oreal excellence cream. I tried this because other reviews were great! If u don't have resistant grays this may be fine. My hair feels great and the product is great, but for me, the grey coverage was not enough and I will not repurchase. It makes me sad because I did love the way it made my hair feel and I can't say enough about the pretty, bright, glossy color!!!

on 7/13/2014 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I bought this in 5 which is a medium brown. I always use a medium brown. For some reason, this color came out much darker than I expected. It was a very dark brown almost black. I was very disappointed. The only good thing that I liked about it was how it made my hair feel when the process was completed.

on 7/3/2014 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I got this hair dye on sale so I wasn't too bothered by the price. The colour came out fine, just what I had wanted BUT!... Here are a few things that you might wanna know before purchasing this one. 1. There's an extra step before you go forwards in dying your hair - some pre-treatment thing they make you slather on you hair, it just looks like hair gel... Don't know what it's good for, just a nuisance if you ask me. 2. The consistency after you've mixed the colour and activating creme is really watery, it's like your squirting creamy yellow water on your hair - I dyed my hair by myself and it was a total mess! If you have someone else dying your hair for you - that's great but if you're in a situation like me - just get another brand. 3. The smell is especially strong with this one, I had to step out of my washroom for a bit cause the fumes were getting to me and I've tried other hair dyes like feria or nutriesse - it's never happen to me until now. Overall I'm happy with my colour, just wouldn't buy it again.