Clairol Expert Age Defy Light Brown #6

Clairol Expert Age Defy Light Brown #6

3.0

on 8/2/2017 1:05:00 AM

Review with Updates!
1. 8/1/17 - Light Ash Brown Kit - I wanted to cover the very stubborn (pretty much translucent white) grays as well as slightly lighten overall to my original color of Light Ash Brown after using Claurol Nice n Easy in Medium Ash Brown for the past 2 years.

So some history - The Nice n Easy had been giving me some rashes on my neck and at least one cystic acne on my face every time I colored, and I hate how runny the formula is and how difficult it is to rinse fully out of my hair. The Root Touch Up has been great but one box is just not enough for an entire head. It is quick {10-20 min) and the formula is thicker so it is easier to work with. Because I like the Root Touch Up, I thought I would love the Perfect 10. However, if you see my review, you will see I had horrible results. ThePerfect 10 Medium Ash Brown ended up super dark brown all over my hair EXCEPT my roots which became Light Brown to almost Blond. Just awful.

AGE DEFY First Impression today - I did a lot of research and asked both Clairol at their 800 number and some youtubers who had reviewed Age Defy for some advice. Basically Clairol said to go ahead and do an overall recolor, and I knew from the youtubers that it's not easy to go lighter with box colors, even if just one shade. I found the kit to contain primo gloves like the ones from the doctors office, and there is also a pretreatment gel. I applied pretreatment gel all over except the roots, as instructed. Then I mixed everything into a bowl and applied with my own brush. So I did not use the applicator. I did all the roots first, then I immediately went back and painted the mixture into the rest of my hair. I waited 45 minutes (15 minutes over the instructed 30 min), then I rinsed. Even though reviewers said they were shocked at how quickly it rinsed clear, I was shocked and couldn't believe it took like a minute for the water to run clear. Usually for me it takes 30 minutes, and the water never rinses clear, and the towel usually gets dye residue when I wrap it around my head post-shower. So I rinsed, then took shower during which I used the very nice Age Defy conditioner. Everything looks pretty good. The roots and my overall hair color look the same and it is like a barely lighter chocolate brown. Hair is soft and doesn't feel or look damaged. FYI, Perfect 10 and Nice n Easy usually made my hair overall a darker brown than Medium Brown. I'll report back after I wash my hair in 2 days.

8/4/17 - I washed my hair 1st time post-color last night with Matrix Biolage Color Last and conditioned again with the conditioner that came with the Age Defy kit. I'm happy the hair color is the same as right after coloring. Often, I find after the first shampoo that a lot of color rinsed out, but not this time. Perfect 10 was especially horrible. I always use barely warm water to shampoo (not a problem at the moment since it's August in the DC area, aka former swampland). Afterwards I applied Garnier Oil treatment Serum (mostly silicones and some argan oil) mostly just to the ends. I let my hair air dry, and it is very soft today. I'll be checking again in 3 or so weeks. Right now, I would definitely recommend Clairol Age Defy. I gave it 5 stars.

8/9/17 - It's been a little over a week, and I have washed my hair at least 4-5 times, alternating between Pureology for Dry Hair and Matrix Biolage Color Last, and I have used the Age Defy conditioner afterwards every time except once. I noticed in the sunlight today that the light does reflect differently off the previously virgin hair (the gray roots) and the rest of my hair. It is not noticeable in other lighting. Overall, I am pretty happy with how the color has been staying in and overall condition of my hair. I like how the Light Ash Brown pigment has been deposited into the previously colored Medium Ash Brown and there is some depth and dimension, as the Medium Ash Brown has not been removed, although prior to coloring with Age Defy last week I had been using a regular shampoo with sulfates for 2-3 weeks to try to fade the Medium Ash Brown color.

9/29/17 - I colored my hair again with the same Light Ash Brown shade in the Age Defy on 9/1/17 (almost a month ago). I am not sure why, but it didn't do as great a job coloring the new grays (whites) as the first time. So in a few days and definitely after a week, there were a lot of clear/white hair around my temples and in the "sideburns" (lol) area. They seem to be more noticeable in certain lighting. After 2 weeks, I was really tempted to do a root touch up, but instead bought Style Edit when I heard Whitney A talk about it in her Instagram story (she says she's only 35 but has lots of grays and colors 4 weeks on the dot, but in between she uses Style Edit to cover her grays). So I used Style Edit to nicely cover the grays until I did a massive root touch up to my hair again 2 days ago on 9/27/17. I used Clairol Nice N Easy Root Touch Up in 2 different shades: 1 box of Medium Ash Brown and 1 box of Light Ash Brown, leaving it in for 25 minutes. My hair turned out perfectly, and there is such a big difference in how much gray was covered that after I finish my remaining boxes of Age Defy, I might not buy it again. Right now, I'm changing my rating to 3 stars. I'll update when I use the other boxes in the upcoming months.

I've used this hair color in dark neutral blonde a few times, and it is probably one of the better colors I've used in my hair. It is quite thick, which can make it difficult to mix, however the results are always natural. It covers my stubborn greys very well.

I am not sure what the pre-treatment does, but it is a clear, silicone-y gel substance. I will probably skip the pre-treatment next time, because I don't think it does much and seems to be a waste of time and effort.

The color has a light smell, not as bad as nice 'n easy, and doesn't drip.

I plan to use this every time I need a break from heavy lightening. It makes my hair a natural, pretty blonde that is quite flattering.

on 2/12/2017 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Not sure what the pre liquid is suppose to do but after it was all done, colouring my hair, it turned out beautifully. Natural and gorgeous

I wanted light brown roots, but unfortunately the medium brown works better. This is about the 3rd or 4th time that I tried this shade hoping that with strict adherence to the directions, it would cover the few grey hair that I have. It didn't work. Now I have to redo my hair again with the medium brown. What a waste of time.

on 5/1/2015 5:19:00 AM

Age Defy user for a year, best gray coverage I've found. I have thick dark auburn hair and a lot of it, started going gray slowly at 30. Now the very front is coarse white which goes to mixed then brown in back. My hair is strong and dye resistant, but once colored stays colored. I get three root touch ups per box. If I have time I let the pre-treatment dry so color application is less drippy. I'd read Age Defy colors are dark, they are. I usually mix two shades of dye to get more dimension, but the color still seems a bit flat. Even so, very pretty color and leaves my hair in good condition.

on 4/12/2016 3:59:00 PM

I used Dark Blonde 7 on medium brown with highlights that were done in July 2015, which were quite grown out.

I have shoulder length, layered hair and there wasn't enough of the pretreatment to do my whole head. The consistency is like hair gel and it leaves your hair stiff just like it.

Now, the color creme and activating creme once mixed together does not thicken up, no matter how much you shake it. And it is like applying water to your hair. My walls, bathroom sink, and floor now look like a leopard. Not to mention this stuff just drips all over your face, neck, and ears. Luckily I have been dying my own hair for at least 20 years, so I know a trick or two to get the dye off that stains your skin.

As for grey coverage, that is laughable at most. I only have a few greys and they happen to be right in the front on top. Started there, as per the directions, and it didn't even touch them. I even left the dye on for the extra 10 minutes as the directions suggest. Nope still there and very much noticeable because, and this is the kicker of it all, it turned my roots red. It didn't even change the color of the length of my hair. I had done highlights months ago(July 2015), which this stuff didn't even do anything to.

The worst part is, I now have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to fix this mess. I will be walking around with red roots and brown and blonde length from my previous highlights.

So, in conclusion, I am sorry I wasted my $10 on this product and I will make sure that all my friends know not to use it, as it would just be a waste of money. I will just go back to the product that has never done me wrong.

I've been home coloring my medium/dark brown hair for years. I'm 47 and have maybe 20% gray, so I've used every single brand on the market and found some to be better than others. I purchased this product in "Medium Brown." I'm definitely pleased at the gray coverage and the color. It looks completely natural and was easy to use and smelled pleasant. To me it seems "Darker Medium Brown" -- which is my natural hair color -- than "Medium Brown." So keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that often what you get on the first day isn't what it will look like in a week! Sometimes having it darker for a few days is worth it to avoid the eventual wash out you sometimes get with lighter colors. I'll definitely buy this again!!

on 2/14/2015 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Tried it twice in shade #6 (Light Brown), and I'm done. Ugh! The only nice things I have to say about this hair color is- 1) It doesn't have a strong odor and; 2) the results are natural-looking and; 3) the color IS pretty. Now here is what I did NOT like about this product and why I will not repurchase:

This is more expensive than your typical boxed hair color. I paid about $5 more for this Clairol Expert Age Defy, and mistakenly thought it would be a superior product. Boy was I wrong! There are so many things I do not like about it. I don't like the pre-treatment gel that comes with this. I don't know if you can skip using it, so I followed the directions both times and bit the bullet. It made my hair hard and stiff, and I don't think it made the hair color go on any easier or covered the grays any better like it claims to. As for the color, the formula is horrible as far as applying it goes. Drippy, drippy, and MORE drippy! Comes out like mustard that's been left out in the hot sun! I went thru a half-of-a-roll of paper towels applying this junk! It kept dripping down my face, on my back, around my ears; and I kept getting random splashes on my bathroom floor, sink, and fixtures. (Good thing I rolled up my bathroom rugs and pushed them to a far corner before starting application.) Such an annoying mess this makes! I left this on for more than 25 minutes because I spent so much time stopping in between to wipe up the messes. After all that, I noticed I had staining on certain areas of my face after the color was rinsed out and my hair was blow-dried. When I rubbed off the obnoxious-looking stains that would have been embarrassing to walk around in public with, I noticed some of the hair color around the staining was removed, too! So after all that, now I had gray hairs shining thru as if I never colored! Ugh! I also did not like the conditioner in the tube that comes with this. For whatever reason, it makes my hair too soft and very flat. Typically, I love those after- coloring conditioners that come in the tubes, and I use them randomly throughout the month. But NOT this one. Could be just my hair or my type of water, I don't know for sure. All I know is, the ones that come with the regular Clairol hair color or even with the L'Oreal hair color have always been wonderful for my hair. This one makes my hair feel too soft and sucks all the body out of it (and I don't have much to begin with), so I just threw the tube in the garbage this time.

I would never buy this Clairol AgeDefy garbage again. From now on, I will stick with what I know is good for me. And just for the record, I have short, fine, layered hair.

on 1/30/2015 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Absolute rubbish. Failed utterly to do what it promised. Do not buy.

I have about 20 grey hairs total in my fine, silky, baby-thin hair. Should not be a problem to cover. My greys are neither plentiful nor thick and frizzy.

I bought shade 8A for my 6N hair, which is what I usually buy. I followed the directions and left the mixture on for forty minutes not twenty-five. Not only that, I made sure it was combed through thoroughly.

After colouring and drying, I inspected my hair under bright light. Were my greys covered? Were they hell!

The greys were still there. Not as many, but this product failed to completely cover my small handful of fine greys. God knows where I'll be in 6-8 weeks. I'm not expecting this product to last at all, given that it couldn't even cover my greys in the first place. Like L'Oreal, I expect I'll end up re-colouring in 4 weeks and exposing myself to ever more chemicals.

Other cons: Thin, dripping liquid, weird pre-treatment that extended the chore and resulted in uneven coverage, expensive for boxed home colour.

Pros: Nice colour, as shown on the box, and lack of smell. Did not pull any red, unlike most home colours.

P.S. One star for packaging. Who the hell cares about the packaging of home hair colour? It could come wrapped in fish and chip paper for all I care. One star for a useless, pointless question.

on 10/12/2014 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Always used semi perm colr so I was a bit nervous to try but love love the results. The color is exactly what the box shows and covered the grays nicely. I will wait to see how long the color hold up but would def use this product again.