NYX Professional Makeup Blotting Powder

NYX Professional Makeup Blotting Powder
Blotting PowderBlotting PowderNYX Blotting Powder

4.3

Talc, Mica, Nylon-12, Silica, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane +/- (CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxides)

on 2/19/2018 3:35:00 AM

I bought this at ulta I'm 25-30 I got mine in medium dark it's not dark it's very yellow toned I like it it it keeps me matte for about 4 hrs maybe longer but I like it in LA winter it's great I keep it in my purse I would love to see how this works in the spring and summer months when it's really put to the test but so far so Good

on 2/20/2017 9:19:00 PM

I love this but where is all the product? for $12 you get barley anything. there matte bronzer has more product. anyways I stay matte and it looks nice but I don't think I will be repurchase because of the lack of product

on 11/17/2016 1:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm not one to carry powder in my handbag, mainly because on my oily skin, it tends to look cakey if I touch up during the day. That's actually why I decided to purchase this, because I was tired of having to use blotting papers all the time.

So far, I love it! I use it every day, even on days when I'm not wearing a full face, and it's definitely kept my skin looking matte (but not cakey or wall-like). I keep it in my bag along with a travel-sized Ecotools powder brush.

I like it so much that after only 1 month of use, I've already hit pan. That's actually a negative, and I've read other reviews stating that you don't get much product, and that it's easy to run out quickly. I figure I've got another 2 months of use before it needs to be replaced, and I suppose 3 months for $12 isn't bad. However, my Too Faced cocoa powder foundation lasted me MUCH longer until it oxidized. $35 got me over a year of consistent use. So NYX, you might want to step up your game with the amount of product you pack into this.

Overall, I really love this stuff and will definitely repurchase. It's really quite lovely!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Shade: Medium-Dark (BLP03)

Disclaimer: This has become sort of a rant because well, NYX isn't really a cheap brand where I live.

This guy here is kind of new to makeup, and was wanting to get something to tame his sweaty, gross, super duper oily face. (Not saying it lightly, I'm talking mixing THREE pore filling primers OILY.)

But the thing is, as a student, blotting paper is a no-no considering of how much you pay for something you need to buy so often. (This big man face can't be blotted with 1-2 sheets a day.)

Anyway, after a really good experience with the NYX Tea Tree Oil Blotting Paper and because I wanted to get the most bang for my buck, I decided to give blotting powder a try.

So I went to the nearest department store to swatch the differents shades of this, and BOY. ARE. THESE. POWDERS. LIGHT.

Because of my weird latin/mixed heritage, my skin constantly changes shades between a MAC NW15 and Donald Trump, and looking like the latter when I swatched it, I bought this shade (Medium-Dark) and I can say that it looks pretty nice whenever I'm tanned or untanned.

But, OH, SNAP! When you go to blend it, it just looks awful and sits on any dry patches left by my acne scars. It also gets "grainy" if heavily applied, so I prefer dusting it lightly over my face using a brush face brush instead of applying with the puff included. This can also work okay as a setting powder, in case you were wondering.

Finally, in my opinion, there's not much product in the compact, with only .29 oz./8.2 gr, I've already hit pan after two months, using it really sporadically.

In conclusion, I'd say look for a better one or just get one of their blotting papers instead. But if you wish to try it nonetheless, You. Do. You.

TL;DR:

PROS:
-Cheap?
-Absorbs tons of oil.
-Cruelty-free.
-Can be used as setting powder. Not the best though.

CONS:
-Wrong shade labeling. (Probably go a shade darker.)
-Weirdly soft, chalky texture.
-FALLOUT, lots and lots of fallout.
-Difficult to blend.
-Weird to apply with puff.
-Emphasizes any dry patches/scabs/acne scarring.

Me being nitpicky:
-Packaging is a scratch/fingerprint magnet.
-If you're not careful enough, the compact gets really messy.

on 8/25/2016 12:27:00 PM

I used this as a setting powder instead of a touch up during the day, so instead of a sponge or puff I used a powder brush. I can see how a puff may make for a heavy handed application but a brush deposits the perfect amount and leaves your skin looking beautifully matte but not cakey. It does tend to break up and get messy when you hit pan though. I would like to repurchase this product but i cannot find it in any of my local stores.

Hi MakeupAlley,
Today I am going to review the NYX Blotting Powder Pressed Powder. Before I start, my HG Powder was Rimmel London Stay Matte pressed powder in 004, and 005. Well honestly I have found a 100 times better pressed powder with the NYX! What took me so long to realize that a better pressed powder was out there?! But, goodbye Rimmel!! I bought the NYX HD Foundation and I decided to also get this powder. To my amazement this powder IS the BEST powder out there! High-end, Drugstore, No More! I bought this at Ulta and I have had this for 2weeks already and I am ecstatic on how light this powder is and how soft it makes your skin feel! It doesn't seem into any fine lines, laugh line's, or pores. It doesn't give your face that, "made up look", that's how incredibly light it is. Coverage is awesome and buildable. It's like silk is touching your face! My color is BLP 03 Medium-Dark and that's without a tan. I don't use powder all over my face, especially in the Summer because I thought that they all creased and ran a little bit. Wrong! I use the sponge and I lightly press into my foundation in my T-Zone. I have combination skin. So I only use the powder where I need it. ..and even for touch ups, I follow the same rule. I'm obsessed with this powder! The compact is cute and very well made, very durable. It does have a mirror, something Rimmel did not! The first time I used this powder I literally said,"Is this for real"?! Yes it sure was and is! There is no looking back at any powder that I have used in the past. With the puff, or sponge, it is washable. In the sink or in your washing machine. Or you can just buy a new one. Whatever you feel like doing. It's very important to make sure that you wash all your brushes, sponges, puffs, ect. They are germ city! You start off with a clean face, you wouldn't want to use dirty anything on a clean face. Yes, I will most definitely buy this again, and yes I would recommend it! The price is awesome and if I didn't know better I would say that this powder acts and looks like a high-end product!! 😃

on 7/8/2016 2:08:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

good product, adds a bit of coverage (i like to wear this over strategically-dotted concealer on low-makeup days and it eliminates some redness), controls oil pretty well. you do have to be very careful though to keep the puff clean if you're acne prone; i keep a clean puff from a past compact on hand to swap out when whichever one i'm currently using needs to be washed. resent the $12 i have to plunk down for it every month or so, i have severely oily skin so i set/touch up with powder daily and thus run out of product quite quickly, but considering that you get more product with this than you do with virtually all higher end makeup brands and it comes at a third or even fourth of the cost, it really can't be beat.

giving it three stars for now as i am not especially fond of the packaging...as others have mentioned it breaks up quite easily once you hit major pan and becomes a bit of a mess to use. also, i suspect it may be to blame for some recent breakouts, so i'll be sure to come back and update my review to a full four stars if i can determine that this product doesn't irritate my skin.

08.01.18 - i don't think this powder breaks me out specifically, i think it's just something that happens when i wear powder because everything seems to break me out lol. this is decent if your skin isn't as sensitive as mine!

on 6/11/2016 5:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

MY FAVORITE!!! :) It's not caky, doesn't cover very well but coverage is buildable, doesn't cease into fine lines... and it brightens very nicely. Love it!

on 2/29/2016 6:46:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been using this as a setting powder (but not a blotting powder) for over a year. It lasts all day without requiring a touchup and the colour I use (Light/Medium) is a great match (I made the mistake of buying the Light one once and looked so much light a ghost that even my mother commented).

I'm knocking two lippies off and hitting "would not repurchase" for two reasons:

Firstly, the powder crumbles and breaks really easily -- as soon as I hit pan, my brush (I use a Bare Minerals Full Flawless Face Brush to apply it, not the included powder puff thing) crumbles and destroys much of the rest of the product, which I then have to throw out, leaving a ~1cm ring of usable product left in the pan.

Secondly, there's only 8.2g in a pan (0.29oz). I generally hit pan on one of these things within 3-4 weeks and then get maybe another week out of it (partly due to the crumbling problem I mentioned above). This means I'm spending $AU20 a month on powder -- and is the primary reason that, since I just hit pan on my current one (yet again), I'm going to look around for a different powder -- with a budget of $240 (the amount I'm spending in a year on this stuff) I should be able to get some pretty damn nice powders that will hopefully last a lot longer.

on 10/31/2015 5:20:00 PM

I had been looking for a blotting powder for the longest time that was affordable without breaking the bank. And I found the NYX blotting powder and I love it! The product is really good. The container is sturdy, it has a mirror and the sponge puff is actually useable. If this runs out, I'm definitely repurchasing! Great product overall!