DivaCup Menstrual Cup

DivaCup Menstrual Cup

4.7

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Because of my birthcontrol pill I only get my period once every 2-3 months so I dont go through sanitary products that quickly. I bought it because I was very curious. I dont have a heavy flow so I can wear it for a comfortable 8/9 hours without worrying. I do need a pantyliner with it to keep my underwear 100% clean (tmi?). Now I can see how this would be great if you get your period every month (and arent scared with getting up and close with your own privates) but im not sure its worth the hassle if you use it once every 3 months. Still a great product if you want to go zero/minimal waste!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I wish I had a Diva Cup when I first started getting my period 40 years ago. I have a really heavy flow with clots and went through a lot of pads every month. With the Diva cup I only use 2-3 pads a month that I wear for back up in case I don't get to a bathroom in time to dump and empty my cup. At my heaviest flow I have to empty the cup once every hour. This may be TMI but passing gas or having to go #2 can also break the cup's seal and lead to leaks. I have tried 2 other brands of cups but have always gone back to the Diva Cup because it has the least leaks for me. When I use a public restroom I try to find a "family bathroom" that is private to rinse my cup. If that is not available, I wash my hands first and take the paper towel I used to dry my hands into the stall. I empty the cup and put it back in and then clean my hands with the wet paper towel. I love my Diva cup and would never go back to tampons or just pads.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I like it. I have two: the DivaCup 1 and the FemmeCycle.
DivaCup1 works well and there are rarely leaks, but I have a very heavy period and it is definitely not 12 hours for me...more like 4. It holds about 15mL to the air holes before it is compromised. But I like the DivaCup's sureness of placement. The FemmeCycle holds a lot more (30mL) but it can be more difficult to tell if it is in right and leak-proofed.

I still have to wear protection with the Diva, but I did take it beach camping and wore only a thin liner with my bikini with no accidents (of course worrying the whole time, but nothing bad happened during the day as long as I adhered to my 4 hour schedule. Which is much better than I was doing with my OB Ultra tampons which I could only find online + Always Infinite and had to change out every 2 hours on my heaviest days (yes, it is a VERY heavy, unpredictable period).

So I love not spending $15 on protection every month.

It takes a few cycles to get used to placement and emptying, cleaning, etc. but I got mine 3 cycles ago and feel like a pro now. I love it for the waste-free camping and it is much better for the environment. I will probably go back and forth between Diva and FemmeCycle, using FemmeCycle for the really insane days of Day 2 and Day 3 of the cycle and for overnights.

Give it a try, and don't give up after one cycle! It will click soon enough and you will wish you had done it sooner.

UPDATE: Started using this along with Thinx period undies and I am in love! Perfect combination and I am on my first tampon- and pad-free period. Love it!

I am SO glad I finally decided to buy myself a Diva Cup! This thing is seriously AMAZING and worth every penny. Thanks to Diva Cup, not only will I never have to buy another box of tampons again, I also will never have to worry about the dreaded 'string' hanging out of my swimsuit or inconvenient and uncomfortable tampon problems (e.g. accidentally peeing on the string, having to put in a new tampon if I happen to need to do a no. 2 and it gets all uncomfortable) sorry if that's tmi, but I'm just being honest! This thing stays put once it's in and you can't even feel it at all. You can also keep it in for longer than a tampon (I have worn it for 12 hours with absolutely no problems). I was a bit weirded out by the whole idea of it at first, but now I am officially in love with the Diva Cup and highly recommend it to all my girlfriends. Give it a try and you will never want to use a tampon again!

Oh wow, I didn't know you could review stuff like this on makeupalley. But I have been telling all of the ladies I know that this cup is amazing!! I started using it about a year ago. There is an initial cost of about $40 CAN, but given one cup can last you several years if you properly care for it, it's pretty amazing in the long run to not have to worry about buying pads or tampons again.

There is a learning curve to this like everything else, however. I found it easiest to fold it in half, but fold one half down at an angle so it sort of makes a 7 rather than a U, but you can fold it however makes it easiest for you. After insertion, I usually run a finger around it to make sure it has opened and is sealed. I trimmed the stem off entirely as it sometimes
poked me, but you can certainly leave it as is if you are worried about being able to find it (that worry will quickly go away, the cup doesn't go anywhere). Once it's in, that's it! You don't feel it, and it can handle up to one ounce (your period is usually three to four) before it slightly overflows. It does not dump the contents out or anything like that, and you will definitely feel it. This doesn't happen to me at all unless I go the full 12 hours.

Make sure you clean it properly, though. I cleaned my first with antibacterial soap once and had to replace it afterwards when I noticed I was getting infections with every period. :(

The biggest pro to using a thing like this is definitely comfort!! It feels like nothing when it's properly inserted and you really don't need to worry about leaks once you get the hang of it. Tampons can be drying and you really don't want to use one at all if you are just anticipating your period, or if you are practically done, because it can be painful to remove when not fully used and your risk of TSS goes up if your flow is too little for the tampon. There is no risk of TSS using a cup and you can use it when you're waiting for it to start.

The only con I can possibly imagine would be if you are not comfortable with yourself down there, and the blood aspect. You deal with the blood to some extent anyways, and I find this to be a much cleaner way, but if you have a cup you will see it all in a little 1oz container and I'd imagine that'd be a bit freaky for some people.

But overall if you are comfortable navigating down there and can handle seeing the blood I highly highly recommend this. Way easier periods? Yes please.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Life. Changing. Seriously, go get yourself one now.

After a brief and small learning curve (don't complain about it, I doubt you were a pro at tampons at age 12), I don't even have to think about it.
I never have to worry about running out of tampons (I actually keep a small box under my sink anyway for guests, because I'm polite like that), and I have saved SO much money already. Seriously, it's a one-and-done deal. So as a person on a tight budget and self-diagnosed hippie, it was a no-brainer.

Pros:
~No harsh chemicals (look up what they treat the cotton in your pads and tampons with)
~Less cramping (goes along with the chemical thing, look it up)
~Longer time between changes (lasts up to 12 hours)
~Saves money (there is an initial investment, but the product pays for itself in 2-3 cycles, depending on how long/heavy yours is)
~SO much better for the environment (my hippie-self loves this. If you're a Styrofoam loving person who doesn't give a rip about the earth, then whatever. The other pros are worth it alone.)

Cons:
The only cons I could even begin to think of are the initial investment (about $40), but as stated before it is worth it in 2-3 months, and the slight learning curve.
Some women have said it took them up to two full cycles to get the hang of it, and some it took a day or two. I had experience with no-applicator tampons prior to this product, so I was one of the lucky few who only need a day or two. Most women it's somewhere in between these two time frames.

Just use a pantiliner (continue with paper/disposable if you want, but I have made the switch to cloth on these and am never looking back!) especially while learning, or on heavy flow days and days when you know you won't have immediate, convenient access to a restroom. For 99% of the time though, I have no problems with leaks and it's FANTASTIC for days at the pool or the beach! (p.s. no strings to accidentally hang out of your swim suit. I can't be the only one this has ever happened to.)

At the end of a cycle, I sterilize it according to the package directions and store it in the cute little bag that it comes with. I keep the cup in the zippered pocket of my purse in case I start while I am out of the house. I suppose you could buy two if you wanted to keep one in your purse and one under the sink at home, but I don't find it inconvenient to just go grab it out of my purse while I'm at home.

Read reviews on Amazon if you need some more convincing. Some of them are downright hilarious, too!

I would repurchase if I ever lost it (while probably crying because I love the dang thing). I know I will have to repurchase one eventually because of the two sizes. I currently have the smaller one right now, but I am in my 20's and haven't had children yet. As my husband and I are planning to start a family sometime this summer, I will eventually need to buy the larger size after childbirth. Still worth it, in my opinion.

on 12/21/2014 5:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Why-oh-why did I not invest in a DivaCup sooner than I did? Having recently turned 40, I shudder to think of the number of disposable fem hygiene products I've used since the age of 12 -- the sogginess of pads (eww!), the assortment of tampons! $$$$

I'd tried Instead a few times during my twenties. But every time I bought a box, the expense turned me off, knowing that each cup would be thrown in the garbage after use. Furthermore, I had an IUD inserted at 29, and Instead specified that their product wasn't ideal for IUD users. (I still have an IUD, and have had NO issues with DivaCup, I might add.)

Admittedly, inserting the DivaCup takes some getting used to. There were a couple of mornings when I awoke with leakage, but this was due to me having neglected to properly turn the cup for a seal.

I'm not quit sure why the instructions indicate that the cup is to be worn lower down in the vagina; I tried this, and it felt uncomfortable. I could feel it inserted. I've had more success placing it higher up, closer to the cervix.

I don't recommend inserting or emptying the cup whilst sitting on he toilet.

1. It makes for an awkward angle to squeeze and insert properly.

2. Spillage when removing at that angle: messy! It gets on the toilet seat, floor, under the rim of the toilet ... eww!

3. Risk of losing one's grip on the cup, and dropping it INTO the toilet. (Yes, I've done this!)

I recommend inserting, removing, and emptying it whilst in the shower. One foot propped on the edge of the tub to remove/reinsert. The blood goes down the drain, with no mess, and the warm water makes the silicone even softer for insertion.

DivaCup is also great to wear on the days leading up to one's period, as the cup catches any excess discharge and/or spotting. No getting caught with bloody "surprises" or icky, shifty pantyliners.

I've left my cup in for 14-15 hours at a time: inserting/emptying it in my morning shower, then emptying it in the shower before bed. No fumbling with tampons at work, nor interruptions.

Brilliant!

on 12/16/2014 10:58:00 AM

This type of review may seem like TMI, but this is the type of product that requires a lot of information so that you can decide if it is something you should try. I personally read every review I could find before I bought mine, and there probably arent a lot of women in their 40s trying this for the first time.

I used mine for the first time in July 2014. We were going on vacation in August, and I liked the idea of not packing two pads for every day and a minimum of 20 tampons in varying absorptions. Unfortunately, my cycles are erratic, so if its been 20 days since my last period, it is possible I will be getting it again. Little did I know, I was definitely going to need it for the vacation, as I got my period the night before we left for the vacation. It was really a godsend. I actually sat at the pool in my bathing suit and didnt worry that Id have blood running down my leg. Since then, I have definitely appreciated it when I can leave it in all night versus changing tampons numerous times.

The diva cup/menstrual cups are definitely not for everyone. They are for women who are very adept with dealing with issues down under. I would say that someone who has never used a tampon or isnt good with them should avoid a menstrual cup. Inserting it and removing it take practice. Its messy. I personally cant use it on days when I have heavy flow. It is full in a couple of hours, and has actually fallen out from being so full. Not fun. I also would not take it out in a public bathroom. Too stressful, and I just dont think the conditions are clean enough, even if Im careful. Also, you arent supposed to use wipes on it like Summers Eve, unless they are fragrance free, but even then, I would think Id need 4 hands, and a bathroom stall just isnt enough room to maneuver.
I wash mine on the hottest water setting, using fragrance free soap with a pump dispenser, such as Eucerin or Neutrogena.

on 9/13/2014 1:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Hmm... I wanted to try this for a long time before I finally pulled the trigger and bought it. I was thrilled to try something that would be better for the environment, overall more inexpensive and cleaner/healthier for me. Also, I've been experiencing some unpleasantly heavy flows in the last few years (sorry, TMI) and I loved the idea of more protection.

I wanted so much to like this! I watched YouTube videos and read blogs for real-life experiences and tips. When I received it in the mail, it took me a few attempts to get it inserted, but then it really was not a problem. I use the 2nd type of cup due to my age and having had a child, and I realized there would be a steep learning curve to insertion and extraction. I use the push-down fold for insertion, and I've never had a problem with leaks or improper seals. I looove being able to put this in for up to 12 hours and just forget about it! And I love not having to worry about bringing tampons with me and smuggling them into the bathroom at work. I was always a tampon lover and figured this product would be a natural progression for me.

The first negative I noticed was that I can insert this to a point where I don't feel it, but there is a bit of a noticeable "heaviness" sensation that exacerbates my first day cramps. I could live with this, though.

My biggest problem has been with removal. I have never been able to take this out without an almighty struggle! The only success I've had has been by crouching in my SHOWER, and even then it takes quite a few tries. I have long fingernails that always seem to pinch me some place very "sensitive". Also, it's helpful to note that the stem is NOT used to remove the cup - you will never get it out by yanking on that little guy. Because of this, I trimmed mine down so it wouldn't poke me when I am wearing it. To remove the device, you must get your finger in between the wall of your vag and the cup so you can break the seal, then squeeze the cup a bit and pull... HARD. It helps to assume a squatting position to access the cup, and press down a bit to push the cup down to meet your fingers. All this while trying to "relax", because tensing up will make things more difficult. I've tried removing the cup at shorter intervals so that maybe it won't have "settled" so deeply or it won't be so full, but that hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. I won't even go into the mess that occurs when I succeed at extracting this little baby - it's difficult to keep your hand steady while getting this out. (Hence the shower...)

A tip I read and wanted to try was to buy the individually wrapped and packaged Summers Eve cleansing cloths. If you're going to be out and about ALL day and night, you can remove and dump your cup right over a toilet, wipe with the cloth, and re-insert right there. Would have loved to try it, but with my removal issues I'd end up having to fish my cup out of a public toilet and then burn it, LOL.

I will persist with this because it's such a good idea and lots of women seem to love theirs. Right now, however, I can't say I'm the biggest fan due to the removal hassle. Hoping I'm just a bit uncoordinated and will eventually get the hang of this. I seem to be in the minority here, so PLEASE try this for yourself to see what you think!

on 9/9/2014 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Love this and menstrual cups in general. My one qualm is that this brand is a little too long for me, and I switched to a MeLuna which is a little softer and shorter. In general though, really nice and comfortable as opposed to tampons. Also cleaner. Even if you don't have heavy periods, this sort of thing is really worth it for the convenience factor - I can leave it in all day at work without worrying about leaks or TSS, and then take it out and clean it when I get home. Piece of cake! Also really good for swimming, since even light tampons are sometimes too absorbent but I still have to have a little something there to, er, catch anything during TTOM.

DEFINITELY cheaper than tampons, especially if you have to buy a wide range of absorbencies like me. I no longer have to play the "light month or regular month or regular with a chance of super?" roulette game at the drugstore with this bad boy. I do still wear a pantiliner on heavier days just to make sure, but I've never had any problems - which is more than I can say for all those "oh crap" days from before I started using menstrual cups.

I did, however, take a lippie off because they really need to make more sizes for us petite ladies! Euro brands seem to have a lot more selection than North American ones.

Popular Accessories