Living Proof Perfect hair Day (PhD)

No Image

3.5

Water/Eau/Aqua, Sodium Lauroyl Methyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Decyl Glucoside, Glycol Distearate, Octafluoropentyl Methacrylate (OFPMA), PCA Glyceryl Oleate, Behenyl Alcohol, PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, IPDI/PEG-15 Soyamine Copolymer Dimer Dilinoleate, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate (Thickening Agent), PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Dihydroxypropyl PEG-5 Linoleammonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-47, Laureth-4, Laureth-23, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glyceride, Fragrance/Parfum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Magnesium Nitrate, Magnesium Chloride.

on 10/14/2017 10:03:00 PM

Pricey but worth it.

I have very long very straight fine hair and lots of it. It is oily at the scalp and dry towards the ends, and I live in the upper midwest where it can get very very humid. This combined with the conditioner and the over night conditioner 1x a week has given my hair the dream texture I've been wanting for years. I usually blow dry it 3/4 of the way the put it in a low very loose bun to dry the rest of the way with some salt spray. I end up with a perfect amount of wave, not greasy, volumized look (like Blake Lively)

Usually if I use my 3 min miracle / aussie volumizing combo I end up with volume and a slight wave but no texture and it's gone within an hour once I let it out of the bun.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I purchased this to see if it would make a noticeable difference in my hair and it did not. For the price, I thought it would. I will not repurchase.

on 8/2/2017 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Pros:
- Gives my fine, wavy hair shine and body
- Somewhat reduces frizz
- Hair looks nice on the second day (my scalp is neither dry nor particularly oily)
Cons:
- Pricey
- Packaging is so so, somewhat hard to dispense the product
- Strong chemical scent, I personally dislike it, and it lingers.
Overall verdict: One lippie off for the less than stellar smell, but it's not bad enough to remove this from my rotation of hair care.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

REFERENCE: My hair is like Jennifer Aniston's in appearance: long, straight, fine, and blonde; and, very full--I have a lot. Don't know about Jennifer's, but my hair is normal to oily.

This shampoo is the best thing that's happened to me this week! This is one of only two shampoos that I've found that doesn't irritate my skin. But, it's the ONLY SHAMPOO that thoroughly washes my hair without stripping it. As such, oil is kept at bay after washing with this. Love the fresh, herbal scent too.

Only thing I hate: the price! At $25 for one cup (8 oz.) of shampoo, I can't afford a perfect hair day everyday...

on 7/4/2017 8:35:00 AM

My hair is long and slightly wavy. As I have gotten older, it has been afflicted by frizz, especially in the summer. I have put off trying Living Proof for years, mostly because of the smell. It's strong, it's not natural, and by no means does it dissipate quickly. But they make travel sizes now, and the frizz was really getting to me, so I gave it a go.

I got some rather stunning results with the shampoo, conditioner, and in-shower styling product. Smoothness, shine, and body like I hadn't seen in awhile. But no, I can't stand smelling like that! I had to pull my hair back, and even then I was in a bothersome cloud of harsh, synthetic fragrance.

I ditched the in-shower styling product the next time I shampooed. I found just the shampoo and conditioner to be less offensive, and the results almost as good. But I can't love it. The scent is the deal breaker. I'll probably save it for occasions when I simply have to look polished.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My hair: oily at scalp, dry and coarse at the ends, colour treated, wavy, extremely frizzy.
After each wash I style my hair straight with round brush and dryer.

I was on my quest to find a decent hair line, which would help me keep my hair in "normal" condition. Generally I rarely had bought any hair product twice. It was always something not ok... To drying, to rich, made my hair dull, frizzy, make their condition or appearance worse, etc...
I saw the commercial in magazine and bought the whole line (shampoo, conditioner and styling treatment).
Let me just say, that this line is in use exclusively now (for 2 years).
Nothing before had made my hair look and feel so good. My scalp loves it to.
My hair now: shiny, silky, straight. No flyaways, no frizz, no split ends.
I can go longer between washes, twice a week is enough. I have also noticed, the much less of my hair falls out during washes and my scalp is in very good condition.
If I switch to different shampoo (if it runs out and I forget to get a new bottle) I see the difference right away. Even if I keep the rest of the PhD stuff in the routine.

Cons: I have noticed, that after prolonged use it can build up and make hair dull. My solution: always wash hair twice, first - using klorane and then PhD shampoo. The procedure keeps the pros and gets rid off the cons :)

In my opinion, living proof is a good line, but not if prolonged use. The miracle particles starts to build up upon hair strand and make it look like damaged straw. Moreover the hair start to be gunky and sticky is some way, thus while browdrying or brushing you put more tension than usual which could also be damaging. What I noticed is that to avoid that you need to use really tiny amount of conditiones and styling products, so the next time your hair is being shampooed, all of the residue is gone.
Otherwise you will get build up soon.

on 12/11/2016 7:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I bought this on a whim at Ulta....what a waste of my money. After one usage my scalp started to itch...I thought it was just the dry air. After my second usage, my scalp itched continuously and I developed some serious flakes that took over two weeks to settle back down.

I put this back on the shelf and decided to try it again at a later date - and the itching and flakes came back. My husband tried it as as shampoo since he didn't want to waste the product and even he complained after a few days that his scalp itched like crazy.

Save your money....buy something else.

on 9/30/2016 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was excited to try living proofs PHD based on reviews on MUA and an experience I had with a sample. So I shelled out $25 for the shampoo and $25 for the conditioner. One of its claims is that you can extend hair washing because of a special molecule that helps protect the hair. As someone with dry skin and a newborn, this was a huge pro.

Initially, the shampoo helped cleanse my hair gently but over time, it made my hair gummy and dirty looking. Even after clarifying, my hair felt heavy. Though I enjoy the smell, it seems like many don't.
Another con is the packaging. The bottles are very hard to get product out of.

Basically, I would never pay this much for the shampoo again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on 11/5/2016 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Wow, I have never really had a terrible experience with a shampoo before like I have with this one. I have been using the Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Shampoo and Conditioner for a week now and I've developed dandruff and really greasy hair. I've never had an issue with both and now all of a sudden, I have them at the same time! What. the. hell. It's extremely disgusting and even my boyfriend has noticed the terrible flaky dandruff. I also usually shower at night, so I can straighten my hair in the morning, but when I wake up, my hair looks greasy like I haven't washed it for days! And let me tell you I can go 3 days without washing it until it looks kind of greasy. My hair did not like this and I don't recommend this shampoo. Not worth a single penny, to be honest.

on 8/9/2016 12:11:00 AM

I dread using this stuff, which has been sitting in my shower for the better part of a month while I gingerly dab on the crappy Suave that my boyfriend slathers gleefully on his gorgeous gray mop. Not because the product isn't awesome, because it is. It's the bottles that make me crazy. I picked it up on the recommendation of an expensively coiffed Saks saleswoman (despite the fact that her ridiculous dye job was a color not found in nature. Her hair smelled great, and that dark-rooted, straw-colored disaster on her head felt like silk, all appearances to the contrary.) I admit it was expensive, but I was already there to buy a $250 Mason Pearson hairbrush, so BRING ON THE IMPULSE BUYS. And I was hypnotized by those sexy little gray bottles, which just beg to be held. So using it seemed simple: I squeeze out a small amount (and it doesn't take much), massage it in, and I can feel its silky power embracing me. UNTIL THE BOTTLE IS HALF EMPTY, at which time the semen-colored liquid (and the conditioner, which is slightly more viscous than the shampoo and a tad more opaque but still makes me think of...well, duh) becomes impossible to extract from its gray matte prison. I'm not kidding. It doesn't just flow out, and no amount of squeezing seems to matter. Because of the bottle's design, you can't even rip off the lid and just dump it into your hand. Tonight I stood in the shower in a modified Warrior II, bracing my left leg against the side of the tub so I wouldn't slip, and mashed the bottle into the wall with every ounce of strength in my hand, trying to force conditioner out of the wee hole at the tip. Bupkis. So I grabbed the ginormous bottle of Sun Ripened Strawberry pink goop and dumped about half the contents onto my jaggedy ends. Accessibility trumped quality tonight, even if my hair smells like a fruit stand in the middle of a chemical factory and my man is wondering why the hell his conditioner is disappearing so rapidly. I love the product, I really do--but I'm done buying it out of this poorly designed bottle. I'm going to saw off the top before my next shower so that I can use what's left. But the combination of my Mason Pearson brush and the shampoo/conditioner combo leave my hair looking better than it's ever looked. So there has to be a solution here. The 28 oz. pump bottle version is sort of stupid expensive, but barring any design flaws, at least I won't have to risk an aneurysm every time I try to use it.