4.1

package quality

price range

Reviews

3 years ago

Wow, this lotion was a pleasant surprise. I picked it up for about $7 at Fred Meyer, in the natural foods aisle. The lotion is pretty thin when it first pumps out--it feels a little like spreading melted butter on your face! But, it sinks in quickly and has a mattifying effect once it's dry. It smells a little medicinal to me--more like lavender oil and less like coconut, but the smell fades quickly. This lotion is actually not quite moisturizing enough for my combo skin, but I continue to use it because it's been great for the condition of my skin--it's cleared up some acne and makes it really smooth! I'll have to wear something with SPF in the summer, but for winter it's been my go-to lotion. Highly recommended! Edit: After a week of using this on my face, it caused my skin to break out. So, a no-go for my face, but I do still like it as a hand and body moisturizer!

About reviewer (63 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

EyesHazel

3.0

4 years ago

My skin type: Combination, clog-prone, slightly sensitive Packaging: A pump bottle that is also lockable. Hygienic and easy enough to travel with. Price: I got this for $9.99 at Whole Foods. $10 for 12 ounces is a really good deal. I originally bought this to try as a facial moisturizer. I don't know what I was thinking at the time, given that this has Lavender Essential Oil and a ton of coconut related ingredients. This caused me to break out and made my skin texture pretty rough. Perhaps if you don't have issues with coconut or lavender, then this could be worth a shot. It's silicone-free, paraben-free, non-gmo, cruelty-free, gluten-free, vegan friendly, and fair trade. All really great things in a brand. If you're wondering why I have it 3 stars instead of 1, it's because I found a different use for this cream. It is an amazing hand cream. It hydrates my hands and gets rid of all the dry flakes. It absorbs very quickly, leaving no greasy residue. The scent is relaxing. It hydrates my cuticles too, and I've noticed my nails appear healthier. I might actually buy this again to use as a handcream. So 3 stars because it fails as a facial moisturizers, but works well as a handcream.

About reviewer (103 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Curly, Fine

4 years ago

My search for a cruelty-free face moisturizer has come to an end!! I bought this at a local health foods store for less than $10. You get 12fl oz which is amazing. I've had this product for around 6 months & with daily use I'm still not close to being finished with it. I use it morning or night... whenever I need it (it has a lighter consistency than you may be used to in a night cream but is still hydrating.) This has a lavender scent.. not what I expected but a pleasant surprise. It doesn't break me out. This face cream a great job at moisturizing my normal skin without making it greasy. A great product & a portion of the proceeds go to a great cause (helping pregnant women in Africa.) I'd recommend this to anyone & will repurchase.

About reviewer (75 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

4 years ago

I'd been using the same moisturizer religiously for a long time but have been transitioning into only buying cruelty-free products. I picked up a bottle of this night cream for $6.99. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to find something within a reasonable price range (my cruelty-free body wash is double what I'm used to paying.) So I was shocked when I found a 12 fl oz cruelty-free night cream for such an affordable cost. The scent is not what you'd expect. When I saw it at the store and unscrewed the pump-top cap to give it a sniff (the packaging couldn't be better btw) I expected a coconut fragrance. In spite of the presence of coconut water, coconut oil, and coconut aromatic extract this stuff smells very herbal and predominantly like lavender. There are many negative reviews online attributed to people not liking the smell. So if you're purchasing without smelling first, be aware of this. I quite enjoy the scent because I use this right before bed and find lavender to be soothing and relaxing. I had concerns that this would break me out. My skin responds well to coconut oil but an ingredient listed is Kpangnan butter. I was hesitant to use a product with any kind of "butter" on my face because while my skin is relatively normal, my pores tend to clog very easily. I figured I'd give this stuff a shot though. If you have "normal" skin, this isn't too heavy or too light... it's just right. My face feels moisturized and looks great. Haven't had any breakouts. Paraben-free, no animal testing, vegan, no synthetic fragrance, gluten-free. Very recently (so recently that most online vendors still sell the old formulation) this night cream was reformulated. Here is the new ingredients list: Azadirachta Indica (Neem) Aqueous Extract, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Leaf Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil (Certified Fair Trade for Life - Social & Fair Trade by Imo), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water (Certified Fair Trade for Life - Social & Fair Trade by Imo), Pentadesma Butyracea (Kpangnan) Butter, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Aromatic Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Ascorbic Acid. Upon further research, I found that the old ingredients list appears to contain things I'd prefer... it used to say Virgin Coconut Oil and also used to contain Aloe Vera. If I did decide to repurchase this I'd try to get the old formulation. This moisturizer is working okay for now. I needed something affordable in a pinch, but if the coconut oil used in this now is refined then no amount of cheap pricing would make it worth using continuously on my face. I emailed them to clarify if the coconut oil used in this product is still unprocessed and they have yet to respond. I like the fact that it's fair trade coconut oil though... this helps to ensure that the farmers who produce the coconuts are getting paid decently. Also, I can't remember exactly what it says (I don't have the bottle with me) but the back of the bottle tells how the company Alaffia donates some proceeds to help expectant mothers in underprivileged countries. EDIT 3/15/2016: Alaffia responded to my email, saying that this product does still contain Virgin Coconut Oil but they had to take out the word Virgin from the label so that the ingredients list would fit on the packaging.

About reviewer (112 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBlack, Wavy, Fine

3.0

4 years ago

Great price for a ton of product. Unfortunately, I didn't feel that the night cream did not do too much for my skin. I felt greasy but not moisturized every time I applied it to my skin. I ended up using it as a secondary body hydrator during the summer.

About reviewer (35 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinSensitive, Dark, Cool

HairBrown, Kinky, Fine

from

4 years ago

MY HOLY GRAIL. GO BUY THIS NOW. if you have oily skin, you will FREAKING LOVEEEEEE THIS. its not talked about at all and i don't know why. it is the lightest face lotion ever. i get a whole pump of this product and just slather it on my face and it absorbs in literally under 2 minutes. it leaves the most smooth and light hydration. when i bought this i honestly didn't expect much from it; i just randomly picked it up bc it was on sale at my wholefoods. it changed my skin completely. i wear this during the day even though its a night cream. at night, when you use this before you go to bed, when you wake up, your face will feel like A MILLION BABY BUTTS. if you have oily skin its amazing, just stop reading this and go buy it now. you will thank me. i will also add that this is a wonderful body lotion as well. i get really itchy arms and legs after i shower for some strange reason, and this lotion is the only thing that has gotten rid of the itchiness.

About reviewer (22 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

1.0

5 years ago

I really thought I was going to love this moisturizer. It has fantastic ingredients, comes in a big pump bottle, and is reasonably priced. Unfortunately after using it for 2 days my skin broke out in deep, painful acne. Not quite cystic, but definitely unpleasant and very stubborn about going away. Guess I'll use it up on my hands/body.

About reviewer (688 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinSensitive, Other, Cool

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

5 years ago

I found this to be too lightweight for my dry skin, but had no sensitive reactions to it whatsoever. I think combo and oily types would do better with this. I have been using it as a body lotion and think it makes a great hand and body lotion.

About reviewer (315 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinDry, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

EyesBlue

5 years ago

I can't say enough how much I love this line, I've been raving about all of them. I used to use Clinique's dramatically different face lotion as my night lotion. I always thought the results were good till I was reading up on it and found out how it has some questionable ingredients. I have been switching to face products that have more natural and organic ingredients than chemicals so I thought I should give this night lotion a try. I have oily skin so this product is perfect for me. My bed time face routine is: wash face with the coconut face wash, the coconut face scrub every other day, then the coconut toner. I splash some water after the toner has dried a bit, pat dry & then I apply this lotion with the Eucerin anti-wrinkle cream around the forehead, eyes, corners of my mouth and the neck. I wouldn't say it's drying but it does not make my face feel oily in anyway. Now that it's getting colder and drier, in the morning I pair this lotion with sunscreen (I just put sunscreen under my makeup during the day in the summer months) and it keeps my skin feel soft and smooth and it does not make make-up application difficult at all. If anything I feel like my makeup stays on well throughout the day, there's no flaking because my skin is so well moisturized.

About reviewer (10 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Medium, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

5 years ago

I'm in love. I will never touch another night cream. Most moisturizers are too heavy for my skin, and they have a chemical smell that I dislike. This cream goes on like a lotion and fully soaks into your skin within minutes. It leaves your skin extremely hydrated and soft - without feeling greasy in the least. It has a nice earthy coconut scent. It is by far the best night cream I have ever used. It also is fair trade, vegan and supports communities in West Africa. I was so excited about it I actually did some research. It was founded by a native Togolese man looking to improve the community to reduce poverty and gender inequality. It just keeps getting better!

About reviewer (23 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure