E.L.F. Moisturizing Lipstick - Ravishing Rose

E.L.F. Moisturizing Lipstick - Ravishing Rose

4.1

on 5/10/2017 11:25:00 AM

This is a gorgeous color and for $3.00, how can you beat it? It's a beautiful rosy almost sheer color and I think it would look great with almost any skintone. Love E.L.F. cosmetics - the price point is unbelievable and the quality is great, but what I really love is that they are cruelty free.

on 3/10/2017 5:15:00 PM

This is my first E.L.F purchase, they don't have a ton of products that are calling my name but I did want to give one of their lipsticks a try. I chose the color Ravishing Rose, I really like this color! I am one who probably could wear reds but I don't because I would feel it is too bold for me. This is a great rosy color that actually looks nice on me, it's rosy but appears to have some coral in it too. It's reasonably sheer so it needs to be built up a little bit but this is actually good for me, as I have some control over the color. I also find it to be quite moisturizing which is good. I don't know if it's a really long lasting product but if it's not that doesn't really bother me. I am not one that migrates towards the all day wear, doesn't come off lipsticks anyway. There is a sweet smell and taste which is a little much but I can deal with it.

This was $4 at CVS and I had a 20% coupon also. I may try some of the other shades at some point but I am really pleased with this color. Choosing certain pink colors are a true gamble for me because anything too pink, too purple or too bright usually does not work, therefore I have a handful of duds that are in the donate or toss pile. Dusty rose and mauve colors are a much better fit for me. This borders on bright but not overly so I can pull it off.

I give this product 5 stars, will definitely repurchase.

ETA - I am going to knock my rating down to a 4. It's a nice color but rather bright on me and I don't care for it on me as much as I initially thought. Another reviewer called it a coral red, I would agree with that. Plus the sugary taste is too much, I really don't care for it. I am glad I tried it. I suspect ELF has many nice products and I am certainly open to trying more of them. But I suspect their lip colors may not be what I go for. For for $3-4 dollars it's not a bad product at all, even if it turned out to be a color that doesn't work for me in the end.

on 3/2/2017 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I like all the elf lipsticks - but I can say that this new moisturizing line (with the colors "party in the buff" etc..) is much different in formula compared to the old line from a few years ago (with the colors "in the nude"..). Reason I can compare the two - I ordered a lipstick ("in the nude") from their old moisturizing line off Amazon because it's not sold in stores anymore - and the quality of that compared to what they are pushing out now as "moisturizing" is MUCH DIFFERENT. The old formula for these were like a balm. They were that thick and moisturizing. I do have a lipstick from ELF's Velvet Matte lip line (Blushing Brown) and surprisingly - I find that lip line more moisturizing than these!

That said, this is the only one I have from their new line and it's not near as moisturizing as the old ones were. I was also a bit disappointed in the color of this. It's a beautiful true rose - but I think I thought it was going to be a bit lighter? It's a very dark muted red pink on me (and I have pale lips) - that I find the color for Ravishing Rose is almost identical to the Beautifully Bare "Touch of Blush". They are pretty much identical. I feel like elf keeps coming out with new lines of lip products, but the colors aren't different enough or deviate enough that they start to replicate. I'm sure there is another dupe for this same color in ELF's matte lip line or the velvet lip line.

It's still a beautiful color but since I'm not a huge fan of red lipstick (it looks super bold on me) I would probably have to wear this on top of one of ELF's nude lipsticks to neutralize the color a bit. I feel very dressy when I wear a bold red lip - so I've found that applying ELF's "Touch of Nude" first helps mute strong lip colors for me. However, in the end, since I"m not a huge fan of pink/red lipsticks - I'm returning this one.

(ETA: After receiving a harassing email from a fellow MUAer - If you have issues with MUA reviewers commenting that they return items to stores after using them, instead of writing inappropriate emails to the MUA reviewer, please contact the individual place of purchase for their store policy and contact THEM if you have issues with people returning used makeup items. I always check with my local store policy. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't allowed re: store policy. Never thought I'd have to put a harassment disclaimer in my reviews, but I am now. Ugh.)

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I am so surprised by the excellent quality of this lipstick. Ravishing rose is a very pretty deep rose pink with a satin finish. It is velvety smooth and applies beautifully. Has great color payoff. There is a sweet light scent that I do not mind. It has good staying power for me. Also I find this to be a truly moisturizing lipstick. For the price, it is an absolute steal.

on 12/4/2016 5:07:00 PM

The finish is smooth and creamy, the pigments are rich, and the quality is amazing for the price. I wish this came in more colors, but this is a very pretty color. To my eyes it has a bit of a coral tinge instead of being purely rose-pink.

I didn't care for this at all. It's patchy after application and drying as well. It doesn't last long,about two hours and feels chalky-powdery. Pass.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

USD$2, yo! This is gorgggggg I got 2 accidentally (I was in a hurry & grabbed both, thought I was getting a diff color). I love this! It does not budge when I smoke or take a sip off a beverage on a straw becoz of it being kind of a stain--moisturizing is kind of a misnomer, it's a bit almost dry once it sets. The scent is yummy vanilla kind of reminiscent of MAC. The color is not Fuschia not red right in the middle & neutral which i love & is unique in my collection coz I have reds a few I'd call this a "safe red" for those who don't want full on red--I have hot pinks (what I suspected this would be like Fiona Stiles Thrasher lippie, it's not like Thrasher at all), it's simply lovely & does not budge becoz the formula is thin & stain-like. I'm needing a good lipliner for this no idea what yet I don't wanna use clear. PM me please if u kno of any good 1s. This is an awesome lippie for $2! Makes my heart SO VERY glad I can be on a low buy & buy a good product!

on 1/22/2016 11:11:00 PM

This lipstick has a nice, smooth application and I do like the color. It's a rosy, pinkish red. I'll definitely repurchase for the price.

on 9/17/2015 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Hmmmm I don't know you guys. I tossed this in last minute from my E.l.f. order because of good reviews and because I don't really have a rose.

I got it 50% off not that it really changes my opinion. I guess I like that it's mid tone, I love how it feels going on. I even like the smell. I would even take more sheer as I'm really into sheer lightweight lipsticks lately. But something about the color just isn't exciting me. I noticed some of E.l.f's colors look a little better online. I know this is a fan favorite (it seems) and it seems like an almost universally flattering color.

I'm not sure if it's just because it wasn't what I was expecting, like another reviewer said, or if my yellow undertones or new hair color kind of clash, but I feel like I won't reach for this too often. (Lie, I've totally already worn it a few times! >_< like a lot of E.L.F. products, they grow on me) It's like a muted red so easier to pull of but still sultry, I just wish it was a little more..something. Still, E.l.f's pricing is good if there's something you kind of want but don't want to pay higher for. It's good to have in my stash.

Update: So of course over time I reach for this a lot for a simple day look or for work, or even a subtle romantic look. Like I said it's nice to have and I actually like the formula. It's like, "slightly better than ok". lol.

on 8/27/2015 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Meh. Color is great, I just think calling it lipstick is a bit of a misnomer. It feels like a tinted balm... and, for me, it wears like one too. If this was marketed as a tinted balm, I'd probably give it 4-5 stars but, for a lipstick, I would prefer to have this color in another brand with some staying power.