BeneFit Cosmetics Boi-ing

BeneFit Cosmetics Boi-ing

3.5

Dioctyl Adipate, Octyl Stearate, Talc, Beeswax, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Petrolatum, Corn (zea mays) Oil, Octyl Palmitate, Propylene Glycol, Butylparaben, Ctiric Acid, BHA. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides. Source: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P1273&categoryId=B70

The Good:
1) They advertise themselves as an industrial strength concealer, and with a little powder tapped on, they really are. I am a receptionist during the day and waitress at night, so put in 12-14 hour days every day. This stuff always lasts even through the most hectic, sweaty shift at the restaurant.
2) The package is my favorite ever. It's a nice little flip compact, and the mirror is set deep enough that it stays clean. It also has no weird crevices so my brush can pick up the last drop of it.
3) The texture is very opaque, almost waxy. This makes it cover up absolutely anything, red zit or greyish/blue under-eye circle. Despite the texture though, its very easy to blend either with finger (I like using my pinky around my eye area, long concealer brushes around my eyeball freak me out) or with a brush.

The Bad:
1) DON'T use this on a blemish that still has room to get worse. This WILL irritate it further!
2) DON'T use this on an already dry or scaly patch because the waxy texture gets caught on the dry flakes and looks terrible.
3) It is VERY expensive.
4) My friends with pale skin have used it and have strongly disliked the available colors. I think this concealer, thanks to its heavy yellow tinges, is much better for a darker complexion or a pale Asian one like mine. continued >>

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I just got this (and I will update if my opinion changes) but I am so impressed by this concealer! I am very, very pale and I got it in Lite. When I first opened the compact I was concerned because the shade looked way too dark and orangey... however, when used on my undereye area it blends flawlessly. I used my Sonia Kashuk concealer brush. I have very translucent skin, so my problem with my undereye area is not so much general darkness (such as the brownish discoloration darker skintones can have) as the fact that you can see every single vein and artery through my skin. My skin is translucent all over my face; it is simply most noticeable under my eyes because of the blood vessels there. I have had problems in the past with concealers that were too opaque, because it looks very fake against the rest of my skin. The translucence is also why I find tinted moisturizers look much better on me than heavier-coverage foundations (plus I am lucky enough to have pretty decent skin). Boi-ing is great because it provides color correction but it maintains enough translucence that it can still look like skin. It does not 100% eliminate my dark circles but that is the whole point... someone with thin, pale skin like myself is always going to have a little blueness under the eyes. I apologize for going into so much detail but hopefully this review will help other PPP ladies who are looking for underye coverage.

on 7/9/2005 5:20:00 PM

One might consider that the mixed reviews of this product are related to one's particular type of skin. Having dry skin, and very bad under eye darkness, I use Boi-ing with a drop of silicone, and the result is GORGEOUS. The concealer stays on, does not cake, and it is easy to put makeup OVER it. When I use pure mineral foundation, I reapply the Boi-ing (again, with a drop of silicone), and I'm set for many hours. I have found that the lightest shade of Boi-ing works the best.

on 3/8/2009 11:17:00 PM

This concealer is fabulous. I have it in 02. For reference, I am NW20. The trick with this concealer is to use MAC #188 brush to buff it (ever so gently) in. It covers under eye circles like a dream. It does not settle into under eye creases, and it stays ALL day! I use it under eyes, along side nose and on chin and forgo foundation on minimal make up days. This looks dark in the pan, but it someone matches my rather pale skin!
I am so glad I ignored the negative reviews on this product. I love this more than I love erase paste!!! I would not repurchase erase paste, but definitely will be repurchasing Boi-ing,

I ♥ this concealer. If you apply it the right way, it's amazing...well, it's not really the application, but more preparing the product for application..... You need to warm it up but swirling your finger in it a few times before applying it to your face, otherwise it'll be cake-y.... If you do it right, it looks like you've slept for, like, 24 strait hours. :) I would totally recommend it!!! It's worth the price!!! I'm in high school, and I don't like looking like I have too much makeup on, and Boi-ing, with YouRebel Lite makes my skin look AMAZING. I'm a huge fan of Benefit, so I'll top the look off with either Dandelion, Georgia or Thrrrob and mascara and it looks really natural. :) BUY IT NOW!!!!!!

on 12/19/2008 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

[For reference, I have acne-prone skin with lots scars, some being a shade of pink and many very wine-red scars. My combination skin is olive and I am currently using EM's Golden Medium or EM's Olive Medium--it depends on the day. ]

CONCEALING ABILITY
-Scars/ Blemishes: It desn't cover scars very well. I had to use a ton product to get light to slightly medium coverage. If you have scars that are as intense as freckles, this might be for you. If your scars are have deeper coloring, this will probably not be the product for you.
-Undereye Circles: This is too dry for those with dry or slightly dry undereye areas,. It will tug, look cakey, and crease under the eye.
- doesn't last: whatever coverage I had just faded after 4-6 hours

COLORING
Boi-ing has very limited shade ranges: only Light, Medium, and Dark. Light may be suitable for some those who have fair skin with yellow undertones, but Medium and Dark are too peachy for Olive tones. This concealer was definitely made for the White woman (no offense).

TEXTURE
- Not very blendable: after warming the product, it was not creamy enough.
- does not grab onto skin as well: I had to go over my problem areas over and over again to put the concealer on

Though Boi-ing doesn't have a concealer stench and it didn't break me out, I think it is overpriced for the quality. I think MAC's Studio Finish Concealer is a much better value: Boi-ing is $19 for 2.847 grams / 0.1 oz, while Mac Studio Finish Concealer is $15.50 for 7 grams/ 0.246 oz. With over ten shades, MAC has better color selection. MAC Studio Finish Concealer also has better packaging: Boi-ing comes in a screw cap, while the Studio Finish Concealer has a cap that you just flip open. The MAC Studio Finish Concealer works better to conceal undereye areas that tend to be dry or slightly dry. However, the MAC Studio Finish Concealer might break you out and MAC rarely (has it ever?) have any store discounts for non-professional customers. If you want bang for your buck, I highly recommend getting the Studio Finish Concealer. I don't recommend Boi-ing.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I've been using this for a fortnight and I'm still a bit ambivalent about it.

I have very fair and sensitive skin which has recently being wreaking havoc by way of breakouts and bouts of blemishes. I also have very dark circles around my eyes - a genetic misfortune, apparently, and isn't very responsive to creams targeted at under-eye shadows.

I've been using YSL Touche Eclat for years, which I've gotten great eye-illuminating results from, but the price has just become too exorbitant, and I also wanted a product which would make something of my blemishes as well as my panda-eyes.

I really wanted to like this product. I'm a bit wary of Benefit's prolific range of specific problem-fixers, and haven't really used much of their kit in the past, finding their base products a little too warm/yellow. But there's something quite appealing about the retro-themed packaging and specific-solution-for-every-skincare-drama approach, and I'd heard some good things about their concealers' sustainability and coverage. I had debated initially between this and the newer Erase Paste, settling on this because it seemed less gloopy.

This is a fairly creamy product, and doesn't irritate or rub at my eyes. It doesn't seem to accentuate lines either. However, it is also quite thick (albeit less so than the Erase Paste, which seemed to be both thick and rather dry) and doesn't seem to dry/set completely. It does a good job of covering up my blemishes and staying put, and the shade I selected (the lightest) seems to work well with my skin tone, but I'm still struggling to get this to work properly on my eyes.

In terms of coverage, it does manage to hide (rather than brighten, as with the Touche Eclat - this specifically covers up rather than illuminates) my dark circles, but doesn't seem to want to stay. I'm admittedly quite liberal with my concealer, so that may be an issue in itself, but I've found that if I use this around my eyes without either fairly heavily powdering the area or using a neutral eyeshadow base before mascara and eyeliner and whatnot, it tends to crease and smear. Upon my first day of using it, I checked myself in a mirror several hours later to discover that it had melted and streaked across my eyelids and had left a trail of mascara underneath, giving me the fetching raccoonish look of someone who'd spent a long and arduous night in Caesar's Palace. I tried again with less product and a vigilant prepping of powder over and under my eyes before applying my eye make-up, and this seemed much better. The product itself feels pleasant enough - it's heavier than the YSL, but doesn't feel especially cakey. The little pot it comes in is easy to use and not dreadfully messy (I use a brush and my fingertips to apply), but I'm wary to carry it around with me, especially in the middle of summer.

Overall, I'm not sure if I'll buy this again - I'm not yet entirely confident with this product, and don't fancy melty eyes.

I have this concealer in the lightest shade and find it is one of the best concealers I own. It seems to have enough
coverage to help certain areas of my skin. I do not think it is for use under the eyes unless one is very gentle with it, as it is a stiffer concealer. Actually, this is the only Benefit product I have. I was not familiar with the Benefit line at all and bought this on a whim. I am glad I did.
One thing about the Benefit line I do not understand is the very high price for some of their very small products. Young women buy these products and I think that it is unfair to them to have to pay such high prices. Many of these products could be priced much less and still be considered high end. For that reason, even if I am an older lady, I will not try any other product they have.

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I went to the Benefit counter to get their new shimmery under eye concealer and somehow came away with a 'Realness of Concealness' kit...and I'm glad I did. I would never have tried this concealer on its own as it looks too dark in the pan for me. But I patted a miniscule amount under my eyes along with the Oh La Lift and it was perfect! Couldn't 'see' either product at all but my eyes looked bright. Both products went on smoothly, did not dry out or grease up and kept me glowing all day. Also used a couple of pats of Boiing around my nose and it melted into the skin and hid the slight redness.

I don't have puffy, dark circles under my eyes, just a slight purpleness and these two products got rid of the darkness just fine. I can't vouch for their effectiveness otherwise tho. Would definitely repurchase this great little kit again.

When I was younger, I loved Benefit Cosmetics. I liked supporting them as native SF Bay Area girl, but now that I'm older I realize most of their products simply aren't worth the money. You are paying for gimmicky, cute, packaging. This Concealor is no exception. It used to be my HG under-eye concealor but I've since discovered less expensive, yet higher performing products at the drugstore. (NYX, Maybelline Master Concealor..) Boi-Ing isn't BAD, it's just OK. Definitely NOT worth the money, as I feel most Benefit products aren't. Don't get suckered in by their cute packaging !