L'Oreal L'OREAL PREFERENCE COPENHAGEN ASH BLONDE 8.1

Filtered by skin type : Very Dry

1 review

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Finally, I can stop setting off my own coulrophobia when I look in the mirror.

Long story short, a salon messed up my hair and then demanded another 100+ to fix it. I cut my losses and walked out looking worse than when I went in, with yellow, reddish, and orange tones interweaved through my head. I managed to get it to lighten further with vitamin C treatments, but they didn't pull enough of the orange to give me a color I could live with.

I was scared to discover that all the ash-based demipermanents were sold out, so I picked this up (Copenhagen 8.1 Light Ash Blonde). I purposely got something 2-3 shades lighter, because if I process my hair at all, it sucks up dyes way too dark.

The color was okay. It has ammonia so it burned my eyes and nose a bit, but it had a nice fragrance to try to cover it up. Better yet, this is one of the few permanent colors I've used which ask you to wet your hair first, meaning I got along with one box.

What more can I say? Took the orange right out and gave me the ashy tones that suit me so well -- if I stay out of the sunlight. If you haven't bleached out the orange then this won't work miracles, but it will tone it waaay the f*** down. Hair was quite dry afterwards, but the conditioner that comes with Preference is practically cult-status for how amazing it is, so that took care of that.

To my surprise, the color didn't go darker than what I started with or try to go hyperdrive into dark brown territory, like has been so in the past. Did it have something to do with wetting the hair first, perhaps to even porosity? You'd have to ask an expert. :P

I would recommend this to anyone looking to tone down brass and orange, but it might be way too ashy for a natural blonde.

Popular Hair Color Products