Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black

Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black

3.3

Alcohol Denat., Fragrance (Parfum), Water (Aqua/Eau), Benzyl Benzoate, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool

I got a sample in a makeup purchase over a year ago and liked it, but quickly forgot about it since I'm not a "perfume person."

Then I brought it along on a business trip, wore it everyday, and fell in love. After much hemming and hawing, I then went and got the mini roller ball "spicy" set. And then (defective roller ball which Sephora refunded) got a deal on the body oil and full size perfume.

It turns very sweet and vanilla on me, but those notes tend to come out a lot when I wear anything scented with that in them. Overall, on me it becomes warm, woody, and sweet.

I feel cool and put together when I wear this, even if I'm in jeans and a t shirt.

It it isn't too strong for me to wear to the office or on public transit. If I go to the gym at the end of the day, the scent becomes more noticeable but not overpowering.

If I put it on at around 6:30 am, I can still smell it on my skin at 8pm or so.

The only scent I've ever loved this much is the Dove Men Minerals + Sage, which smells wildly different from this.

on 2/7/2017 2:18:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I adore Nirvana White but this one is just too musky for me. The scent is very long lasting, the packaging is nice, it's just not for me. would not repurchase.

on 10/24/2016 1:04:00 PM

Am I the only one that this this perfume smells kinda cheap? To me, it seems like something you can get at a drugstore for $20. I tried a deluxe rollerball sample of this perfume from a monthly beauty box. I used the entire bottle and I wanted to love this perfume. It never grew on me and I'm glad I didn't spend the money to purchase the full sized version.

on 10/20/2016 6:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

If there is anything which makes me dig my fragrant heels in, it is celebrity perfume or as they are called, celebuscents. I just plainly refuse.
While cleaning up the pile of perfumes, I came across my samples again. I guess I was in a more receptive mood and this time I connected.
Nirvana Black is a sweet, creamy sandalwood fragrance from beginning to end. While this is not a description of what one would expect of an alluring and mysterious scent...it s just that...with a dash of romanticism.

on 7/23/2016 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is my signature scent! I get complimented on it ALL THE TIME! I hope they didn't change the formula as it's getting lots of recent bad reviews on here! To me it smells like vanilla, sandalwood, and blackberries(?) when I smell it from the bottle. It smells mysterious, if you can describe a scent like that, and dark. I would describe it as a women's perfume inspired by men's cologne? It's too sweet for it to be cologne and has no spiciness at all, but that's the only way I can put it. I find that it lasts longer than I think. For example I can't smell it after the first thirty minutes to an hour of putting it on myself, but I get complemented 8 hours later that I smell nice! It wears really nicely and keeps the base of vanilla really well. I think that those who are giving it bad reviews are maybe more floral wearers? Or expecting it to compliment Nirvana White? I smelled Nirvana White in Sephora and absolutely hated it! I think it depends on if you're a vanilla warm type perfume wearer or a floral type of gal! I do hope that you give it a sniff if it's available to you! I'm always getting asked what I wear because it wears so nicely and is dimensional (and mysterious/dark smelling?)!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Top Notes: Violet

Heart Notes: Sandalwood

Base notes: Vanilla

My own personal opinion is that this should NOT be layered with Nirvana White, because the two fragrances are so dissimilar. I can see how the name could be misleading though, as people might assume that this is a headier version of White.

But it's definitely not just a stronger version. It's a totally different perfume, with its darkly powdery sexiness, compared to the fresh fruit and white musk of Nirvana White.

I think I prefer this over White, but this is still a bit too syrupy sweet for my personal preference. I gave it 3 stars for its high quality and craftsmanship, because I can see how it would be fantastic with the right body chemistry.

on 2/7/2016 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This features a dark sweet note that others like, but I do find sickly. It reminds me of licorice or absinthe or something.

I wanted to like this but never did.

Notes:
Violet, Sandalwood, Vanilla.
Style:
Sensual. Mysterious. Warm.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

While I L-O-V-E the Nirvana White, this Nirvana Black is a definite 'no, thank you' for me. I even tried pairing it with the White, as many suggest, and it just kills the pleasantness of the White for me. To me, this smells like, well, first off, it is way too strong, secondly, it just smells..rank..sorry for my very lay-man (lay woman?) terms, but to me, this reminds me of the sewer plant I used to drive past every day and how it stunk so horribly in the Summer..ewww, not a pleasant smell!!! Sorry, but that is what I think of when I smell this..:/ At best I would say this smells more like a men's cologne to me. (And no I am not saying men's cologne smells like a sewer plant, but I did say 'at best'..this has some layers as it dries down and what-not, as most perfumes do.) This one is just not for me. And I even tried spraying it on a sweater that was not touching my skin, thinking maybe it was my body chemistry (although I have even sprayed this just mid-air, and still had the same 'yuck' feeling/response....) Just not for me... I dislike giving negative perfume reviews because I know it is so personal preference, but this one..no...if this is what Mary Kate and Ashley smell like, please stay away, lol...:p ;)

on 12/7/2015 4:54:00 PM

This is obviously a love-it-or-hate-it kind of perfume, and while I don't love it, I do like it a lot. I purchased this on a bit of a whim and I'm enjoying it -- I think it starts out strong, but rapidly mellows into a vanilla-softened sandalwood. I normally wear heavier resin-based perfumes, so I wasn't concerned with this being too dark and heavy, but people who prefer light floral scents should approach Nirvana Black with caution.

on 11/13/2015 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a very in-your-face perfume, one that I find distasteful. It has strong notes of sandalwood and some type of food, not sure what it is, but it's certainly not sweet or pleasant so I don't think it belongs in a perfume. My son's ex-girlfriend wore this and we would all cringe when she came over because the scent would linger in the air forever. One thing's for sure- no one will think you're girly, light or feminine when you wear this, more like old-lady mixed with bad food.

Popular Fragrances