Babor Baborganic Biological Enzyme Cleanser

No Image

2.5

I'm a bit of fan of enzyme cleansers and peels, my skin loves some good enzyme action, it works better on my blackheads than AHA/BHA products. Powder cleansers are also sort of my thing. But this? It's just plain useless, you get a bit more than with other powder products (says 75 g) and there's a a cap and then an additional flip cap to keep moisture from ruining the product, but there is no nifty thing to pour out a certain amount like with Japanese powder products, but on the other hand lack of such feature makes Babor's Enzyme Cleaner more flexible in a way, you can decide how much or how little you pour out. Out comes fluffy white powder that need to be mixed with little bit of water, and the cleanser is ready. Doesn't foam up much, if at all, depending how much is used. No scent or colors. On skin it feels harsh, not all of the powder dissolves and some harsh bits are left, feels like sand grains. Not very nice. Cleansing power is mediocre, and skin is left dried out and tight. Contrary to other enzyme products this does nothing to clean out my pores, not even the slightest bit. The few flakes that I sometimes have are also still there and skin doesn't look neither glowing nor smooth. So I guess it's pretty ineffective, at least my skin doesn't love this at all. Ingredients from the box: Sodium Lauroyl Glutamate, Talc, Cellulose, Maltodextrin, Water (Aqua), Xanthan Gum, Ascorbic Acid, Subtilisin, Lipase.

on 1/31/2014 7:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

UPDATE:
This exfoliant is OK, but since it doesn't penetrate deep, it doesn't fix wrinkles of plump the skin or deal with hyperpigmentation well. Best used for mild blackheads, I think.
END OF UPDATE

I have dry, sensitive skin that is in need of regular exfoliation because I have some hyperpigmentation. My skin is difficult in general: it is sensitive, it breaks out between my periods and the breakout turn into blackheads, which then get inflamed again and leave brown marks behind. To not go through this cycle again and again and always have hyperpigmentation, I need to stop my hormone related breakouts. This can be done by contaceptives that my liver doesn't like, or by finding some very effective skincare... I have a few spot treatments that work when the pimple or irritation has already occured: 1) Witch Hazel toner with alcohol 2) Micael Todd Blue Green Algae Toner 3) Hydrocolloid acne-patches. However, the best thing would be if the pimples didn't appear at all, which is something this exfoliant, together with a couple of other Babor products have helped me with :)
THE CONSISTENCY AND HOW TO USE:
I would strongly recommend using this after you have taken your makeup off. I also like to wash my face with a mild cleasing foam in the morning before I use this - it will be more effective if you don't have dirt and oil from the night on your face. The consistency is a quite finely milled powder. You need to wet your face and your hands, pour a little - 1/4-1/2 of it (I prefer less) into your palm, rub your palms together till a foam appears. There might be a few grains in it, but it's OK. Then you put this foam on your face, avoiding the eye-area and let it sit for 30 sec - 2 minutes (I use for 30-45 seconds). Then you wash this off with lots of cool water. I like to use this twice a day - it is very mild, but still effective. If you have some open wounds/broken skin, try to not get this into there - it won't necessarily irritate, but it won't let it heal as fast either.
THE EFFECT:
The first thing you will notice is that your face will be "squeeky clean" - this is because this enzyme cleanser contains lipase - it breaks down the oils on your face. After only a couple of uses I noticed that the blackheads on my nose were smaller - I think this breaks them up! I also noticed that my skin became more smooth and silky. I have noticed I don't break as badly as before. Because this is a mild exfoliant, don't expect to see a great difference in your skin right away - this is meant to be used on a daily basis, or even twice daily. I haven't yet used this long enough to see much difference in my hyperpigmentation, but I will update in a month or so. Don't forget: when you use exfoliants, your face needs some SPF after!
COMPARISON TO OTHER TYPES OF EXFOLIANTS:
This is milder than many other exfoliants. At the same time, it has an effect on the skin that is mostly topical. I have used physical exfoliants (scrubs), and even found some good ones for my sensitive skin. They have the problem of working mostly on the surface, and can give a little bit of flaking sometimes. I have also tried glycolic acid creams and just glycolic acids. My problem with them was that, no matter how low the strength was, my skin needed to get used to them and might break out - everything felt too strong for my face. So if your face can't handle exfoliants well, I recommend trying this IF your problem is blackheads. I don't like the feeling of scrubbing my face, but I will continue to use a scrub I have that never breaks me out either, for those times I need faster exfoliation. I'm also thinking about thying to find Retinol or an AHA/BHA that could work for me, but I'm currently afraid of trying any because they have a tendency to turn my skin red + I don't currently have a good, strong sunscreen.
VALUE FOR THE PRICE:
You get 75 grams of this - it doesn't sound much, but I think it will last a looooong time - I only use a little bit every time. Right now, I would estimate it will last for about a year, but I will update this review later. The price for the amount seems high, but if this will last a long time, it might actually be cheaper than some drugstore exfoliants that I use 3 units year of. This is why I rated this 2 lippies in price.