Paula's Choice RESIST Weekly Retexturizing Foaming Treatment 4% BHA

Paula's Choice RESIST Weekly Retexturizing Foaming Treatment 4% BHA
RESIST Weekly Retexturizing Foaming Treatment 4% BHA

3.4

Not tested on animals

Water, Butylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Dimethyl Isosorbide (solvent), Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine (antistatic agent), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid exfoliant), Citric Acid (pH adjuster), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Glycyrrhiza Uralensis (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritant), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (anti-irritant), Adenosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (antioxidant), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritants), Borage Officinalis (Borage) Extract (antioxidant), Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm) Bark Extract, Lamium Album (White Nettle) Flower Extract, Arctium Major (Burdock) Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (anti-irritants), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil (non-fragrant plant oils/antioxidants), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Propylene Glycol (slip agent), Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

Another BAD allergic reaction here. Paula's Choice should be aware that these cases aren't isolated. I also used this product for 1+ years and then slowly started to get red scaly eczema-like skin around the eyes. Eventually, I caught on but it was too late. I had a terrible case of eyelid dermatitis, with eyes so severely swollen I could barely open them during my last reaction. They peeled, cracked and looked terrible for over a week. I threw the darn bottle into the garbage. That being said, I was like detective on a mission and searched find the culprit! Ladies who have had a rection near their eyes, listen carefully! You are likely allergic to cocamidopropyl dimethylamine. Do not use products that contain this high up on the list, especially in a leave-on product. I used a BHA from the Ordinary and had the EXACT SAME reaction. There is scientific literature on dermatitis and this ingredient. Plenty of it. Paula needs to do her homework... this brand used to stand for something, now it only seeks better profit margins.

on 11/28/2017 6:03:00 AM

I use this foam mainly to fight back blackheads on my nose and it really works. I apply it all over the face maybe once a week, maybe once in 10 days and 3-4 times a week only on my nose. It is quite a strong product so I need to be careful to not overly exfoliate my skin. It works better on blackheads than 2% BHA gel.

on 10/22/2017 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Ditto here as the rest of the ladies experiencing allergic reaction. My face and neck broke out into a welt-like rash with extreme itch. Benadryl and hydrocortisone cream cleared it up in roughly 2 weeks. Awful. No problems with Resist liquid BHA or the BHA 9. This was awful though.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Big NOPE to this one. I consider this my arch nemesis in the skin care world. I used the prescribed amount of product in the way it was meant to be applied. After using it once, my right eye lid went puffy. I used it again thinking it needed time to adjust and it got worse. I used it twice, learned my lesson and stopped. Too late though, the puffiness developed into dry, red eczema. It took 6 months to GO AWAY and this was with applying a light amount of steroid cream daily. I've never had eczema on my face before (I've only ever had in once 'lower down' and it was triggered by hot yoga of all things!) and it was awful. I complained to PC who kindly refunded my money. What they wouldn't allow was for me to write a review on their site sharing what had happened. So I complained 3 times about this and every time the customer representative told me they screened out words they considered improper. Words like 'triggered eczema' 'redness' 'inflamed' and the like. So I edited and edited my comment and submitted it -four times- but it was never published. I also consider it sneaky to weed out reviews like that. It's nice they don't want to be blamed for triggering eczema, but the truth is this product did. Big time. Boo to their review trickery! I adore PC products and am a loyal customer, but this one is dangerous IMO. Her products work wonders- but not all of them. This one is an acid death trap housed in a fun little bottle. Foam of death.

Edit: Jeepers, I've just read other reviews on this product with similar experiences. PC should stop selling it or adjust the formula.

TL;DR: Causes SEVERE allergic reactions. PC website won't publish negative reviews about it. Avoid!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Beware if you have sensitive skin. I used it for about 3 months with some minor side effects, then one day woke up with a bright, red chin and severe itching (the only place I was using it, thank goodness). I had to use hydrocortisone cream on my chin for a week to get the inflammation and irritation under control.

It was an allergic reaction that slowly built up over 3 months. I originally thought it was due to the cold weather or simply overdoing it, but when I tried using it again in the Spring, I got the same allergic reaction the very next day.

Look at the other reviews, there's obviously something very wrong with this product.

on 8/30/2016 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I had a really bad reaction to this product. It dried out my skin so bad and made me breakout with cystic acne all over my chin. I believe my skin reacted to something in this product. Not sure if it was a type of rash-reaction. It is recommended for combination skin, but this weekly treatment is too strong. I wouldn't recommend.

on 7/29/2016 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I don't use this on my face. I use this on my chest, neck, and back 2-3 times weekly. I suffered from acne on my chest and back in my late teens and early 20s. My back Acne is now clear but Occasionally I will get a pimple on my chest or back randomly. I use this to keep skin to those areas clear and even toned. I am also in the sun a lot. I like that this will also help prevent aging to to neck and chest areas. The smell is awful but goes away after product dries. Definitely use at night as it leaves a tacky feel and shine to skin.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I bought this at the same time as the Alpha-Hydrox AHA cream and like that much better. I know that BHA and AHA do different things, and I bought this because everyone says if you have issues with blackheads and clogged pores you need this, but I think my skin just reacts to the AHA better.
It is almost like this BHA gets into the pores and dries them out too much. Maybe my skin just prefers to have the dead skin cells lifted off (using an AHA) and anything more is too much.
I bought the 4% thinking it would be nice and strong and I'd get a quick result. Well I sure did - the first time I used it, I got quite a lot of redness, itchiness and soreness the next day. I was quite freaked out but persevered. It continued the next 3 times I used it but now it is fine. I don't get that anymore. In fact, I don't feel like I am seeing great results.
I've read really great reviews of the 2% so I wonder if that formulation is better. If I had my time again, I would buy the 2%. My friend uses this on her arms and it works well.
The smell doesn't bother me - acid products always smell. If it smells and works, I don't care. I give 4 for packaging because I like how it comes out as a foam (much easier than a liquid) but it sorta liquefies if you tip the bottle upside down for too long, and drips out into the lid, and don't shake it!! Not entirely travel friendly IMO. But it's a nice petite bottle which is good. The AHA comes in a tube. Easy.
The AHA I will repurch, this one I'm not so sure.

on 4/21/2016 10:39:00 AM

TL;DR - be really wary about allergic reactions!

I bought this product a little less than a year ago, would use it every 2 weeks or so, and found it exfoliated well. It would always leave my skin mildly irritated/red/dry, but with enough moisturizer and time, I found this wasn't an issue. I had realized the trick for me was not use this the night before an event but 3 days before to let the irritation settle.

In the past 2-3 months, the irritation seemed to be getting worse - in particular, the skin around my eyes (and I wasn't applying the product near my eyes at all) was so dry and cracked after applying that it would take a week to heal. Note that I have pretty tough skin - I used a 15% AHA every morning, and retin-a 0.05% every night (except when I'm using this product), so skin sensitivity is not typically an issue for me. I figured it was just the result of dry winter skin, and would get better as the weather get warmer/more humid.

Well, now that the weather is warm, I used the BHA last night, and woke up this morning to both eyes swollen shut. Literally - could not open my eyes. It has gotten better over the last few hours with cold compresses, but seriously, I look deformed. Really hoping it goes away soon, but want to reiterate what several reviews here have said - take a mild allergic reaction seriously, because you never know when it will get this bad.

This product smells like dead fish.