Paula's Choice RESIST Weekly Retexturizing Foaming Treatment 4% BHA

Paula's Choice RESIST Weekly Retexturizing Foaming Treatment 4% BHA

3.6

Not tested on animals

Water, Butylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Dimethyl Isosorbide (solvent), Cocamidopropyl Dimethylamine (antistatic agent), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid exfoliant), Citric Acid (pH adjuster), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidant), Glycyrrhiza Uralensis (Licorice) Root Extract (anti-irritant), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (anti-irritant), Adenosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (antioxidant), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritants), Borage Officinalis (Borage) Extract (antioxidant), Ulmus Fulva (Slippery Elm) Bark Extract, Lamium Album (White Nettle) Flower Extract, Arctium Major (Burdock) Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (anti-irritants), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil (non-fragrant plant oils/antioxidants), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Propylene Glycol (slip agent), Benzoic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives).

on 7/29/2016 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I don't use this on my face. I use this on my chest, neck, and back 2-3 times weekly. I suffered from acne on my chest and back in my late teens and early 20s. My back Acne is now clear but Occasionally I will get a pimple on my chest or back randomly. I use this to keep skin to those areas clear and even toned. I am also in the sun a lot. I like that this will also help prevent aging to to neck and chest areas. The smell is awful but goes away after product dries. Definitely use at night as it leaves a tacky feel and shine to skin.

Beware if you have sensitive skin. I used it almost nightly for about 3 months without any issues, then one day woke up with a bright red chin and severe itching (the only place I was using it, thank goodness). I had to use hydrocortisone cream on my chin for a week to get the inflammation and irritation under control.

I'm guessing it was an allergic reaction that slowly built up over 3 months. I originally thought it was due to the cold weather, but when I tried using it again a year later in the Spring, I got the same allergic reaction. I'm now using the rest on my arms for KP. Won't repurchase.

To Read all 46 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I bought this at the same time as the Alpha-Hydrox AHA cream and like that much better. I know that BHA and AHA do different things, and I bought this because everyone says if you have issues with blackheads and clogged pores you need this, but I think my skin just reacts to the AHA better.
It is almost like this BHA gets into the pores and dries them out too much. Maybe my skin just prefers to have the dead skin cells lifted off (using an AHA) and anything more is too much.
I bought the 4% thinking it would be nice and strong and I'd get a quick result. Well I sure did - the first time I used it, I got quite a lot of redness, itchiness and soreness the next day. I was quite freaked out but persevered. It continued the next 3 times I used it but now it is fine. I don't get that anymore. In fact, I don't feel like I am seeing great results.
I've read really great reviews of the 2% so I wonder if that formulation is better. If I had my time again, I would buy the 2%. My friend uses this on her arms and it works well.
The smell doesn't bother me - acid products always smell. If it smells and works, I don't care. I give 4 for packaging because I like how it comes out as a foam (much easier than a liquid) but it sorta liquefies if you tip the bottle upside down for too long, and drips out into the lid, and don't shake it!! Not entirely travel friendly IMO. But it's a nice petite bottle which is good. The AHA comes in a tube. Easy.
The AHA I will repurch, this one I'm not so sure.

on 4/21/2016 10:39:00 AM

TL;DR - be really wary about allergic reactions!

I bought this product a little less than a year ago, would use it every 2 weeks or so, and found it exfoliated well. It would always leave my skin mildly irritated/red/dry, but with enough moisturizer and time, I found this wasn't an issue. I had realized the trick for me was not use this the night before an event but 3 days before to let the irritation settle.

In the past 2-3 months, the irritation seemed to be getting worse - in particular, the skin around my eyes (and I wasn't applying the product near my eyes at all) was so dry and cracked after applying that it would take a week to heal. Note that I have pretty tough skin - I used a 15% AHA every morning, and retin-a 0.05% every night (except when I'm using this product), so skin sensitivity is not typically an issue for me. I figured it was just the result of dry winter skin, and would get better as the weather get warmer/more humid.

Well, now that the weather is warm, I used the BHA last night, and woke up this morning to both eyes swollen shut. Literally - could not open my eyes. It has gotten better over the last few hours with cold compresses, but seriously, I look deformed. Really hoping it goes away soon, but want to reiterate what several reviews here have said - take a mild allergic reaction seriously, because you never know when it will get this bad.

This product smells like dead fish.

on 3/19/2016 10:27:00 AM

Folks, be very, very aware and listen to the reviews cautioning an allergic reaction. This is no joke and is very serious. I used this product for about two years and it was amazing. I woke up with bright, glowy, smooth skin. It was wonderful. I bought this product whenever it would go on sale. Used it year round, winter, summer, dry skin, oily skin. However, after opening the bottles I purchased in 2015, all that changed. At first I didn't know this was the culprit. I do now- but this has caused the very worst skin reaction I have had in my life. Overnight I have sunburned, itchy, red, splotchy, swollen, cracked skin on my face and neck and the worst part is that my EYELIDS AND UNDEREYE- an area where I didn't even touch the product, are unbelievably swollen. I look like I just had plastic surgery. What's most upsetting is that I called PC a month ago because I had a milder version of this and they said because I had no problems in the past, and am having a sudden reaction, it must be because my "skin barrier became compromised because of the dry winter" and that perhaps I could try again later. Well I tried again after waiting 6 weeks and it's WORSE. No one at PC mentioned the formula had been changed or that there were other people who had been having similar reactions. I only see this after coming here to read all these reviews. How awful. PC needs to get to the bottom of why so many people are have allergic-like reactions. I literally can't leave my house right now because it looks so terrible.

Edited to add: I wrote a review of this product for the Paula's Choice web site and wrote it specifically using the guidelines they have listed on their web site. Wasn't overly negative but was honest in my experience. They refuse to post the review. Let that tell you something.

THIS PRODUCT STINKS!!! Highly recommended for anyone who wants their face to exude whiffs of spoiled fish. My dogs loved it, though.

Elizabeth, Calgary

on 1/2/2016 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I have oily, acne prone skin that is not sensitive to products but this made me break out in small bumps everywhere I spread it. It's either very irritating, or I'm allergic to the ingredients. Either way, I got it as a gift so at least I didn't waste my money on it. Oh, and the packaging is very cheap for such an expensive product.

on 12/11/2015 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This product works as promised, but the smell is so awful I will not be reordering unless the product is reformulated. The dead fish smell of this product lingers and is so strong that it makes the foam unusable. I will be returning this product.

I left this same review on the PC site, but they will not post it. I believe it is a fair review warning customers about the smell before they purchase.

on 9/30/2015 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this product along with the daily 2% BHA toner as a package. I have acne prone skin and a hormone problem and even after 10 years of dermatologist appts I still have crappy skin. Oily but with dry areas due to zit products and scabs, but dehydrated and big pores. I was so excited to try this combo. After the first few days I broke out horribly, like, even where I don't usually get zits. My skin however, was not red or irritated and based on reviews this was "purging" so I kept up. After 2 weeks, no improvement with acne but skin is looking more even toned. Paula had mentioned it could take up to a month. After one month, poof! My skin has the odd the zit but I can say it is looking better than ever. I don't know which product does a better job. I can say that this smells horrible while it is drying (the 4% only), like dog poop. But, if you really give it a try for at least a month it might work wonders for you. I lasts a long time too. I've also noticed my melasma has faded with this better than any prescription I have been on. I will keep it up!