GUERLAIN Chant d'aromes

GUERLAIN Chant d'aromes

3.8

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is very bright and crisp on the initial spray. Reminds me a little of maybe grapefruit or the ylang ylang note?

On the dry down the florals and musks come out more and its very soft and powdery. I love this one and wear it a lot. Its perfect for day or night wear. I find this lasts pretty well on the skin too and I can smell it throughout the day.

on 9/22/2014 6:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This review is based on a small bottle of vintage extrait. (I wrote a review originally about an EdT sample, and after having tried the extrait, Chant d' aromes gets another star). Chant d' aromes is a well blended aldehydic floral wood chypre that is recognizably Guerlain, particularly in extrait form.

Reviewers who like the idea of Chamade, but find it too green with Galbanum, and too powdery may find that Chant d' aromes is the perfect solution. Although I don't think hyacinth is listed in Chants notes, I smell it, or something like it. (I should note here that I adore Chamade's Galbanum hyacinth blast and find it moistly pollinated rather than dry and powdery, but I dab my Chamade and prefer not to spray. IMO, dabbing minimizes the powdery sensation).

Some reviewers feel that Chant is similar to Chanel 5. I prefer Chant to vintage Chanel 5 EdC because I prefer the Guerlain softer treatment of aldehydes and because, for this type of fragrance, I don't want a lot of civet. I find more common ground with the reviewers who see a similarity between Chant d' aromes and Amouage Gold.

Chant accords include: gardenia, honeysuckle, jasmine and orris; Gold has rock rose/labdanum, LOTV, orris, jasmine, iris. Both Chant d' aromes and Gold have frankincense, musk and wood. It's also my understanding that Chant includes mirabelle plum and mandarin in the top notes and a base of oakmoss, vetiver and tonka, Gold has ambergris and civet in a woody base. (Gold is less civet pronounced than vintage Chanel 5 EdC, IMO). Both Chant and Gold are soft, rounded, easy to wear, but Chant is a touch greener which makes it more interesting, IMO.

I mentally categorize Chant d' aromes as a vintage precursor to Estee Lauder Beautiful and Amouage Gold. I have the Beautiful perfume in a miniature flat sculptural glass flask with a molded rose plastic stopper (the bottle is a miniature of the same one in the Fragrantica website pic, and perfume ingredients state: SD Alcohol, Beautiful Perfume, purified water). I also have a later miniature in a rectangular flask (both bottles from two different miniature coffret assortments). Beautiful accords include rose, LOTV, jasmine, marigold, iris, ylang, plus many other florals, frankincense, sandalwood and vetiver. Beautiful is not as green as Chant or as macerated In guerlainade.

Chant also brings to mind vintage Avon Charisma (a bargain at 10-20 usd for Charisma in cute glass snail bottles (because it is relatively sharp and green, Charisma is not as creamy or warm in tone as Chant, Gold or Beautful, and it has a distinct green mossy note in a vintage style)

Chant does have a distinct Guerlain sensibility, so those who are not a fan should stay away. I don't think it is 'fresh' In the modern mainstream sense of juicy and sweetened. It's more like concentrated Eau d' Vie than Jamba Juice.

on 1/3/2013 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Love it! And I did not think about the similarity to Ma Griffe until I read a prior review. I love Ma Griffe, too!

on 7/21/2011 6:30:00 PM

the only classic Guerlain that I do not like. Not because I do not appreciate the lovely light floral notes or the oakmoss but because just as I begin to appreciate them they disappear without trace - no sillage, no staying power. Frankly I just can't be bothered spraying all day, so would not repurchase.

on 11/29/2010 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Chant d'Arômes has a sanguine personality. It absolutely thrives in the sunshine and fresh air; indeed a little warmth seems to coax it into bloom. The opening is piquant, with bergamot, mandarin, and a slightly venomous, astringent peachy note, buoyed by baby-powder aldehydes, and the drydown is honeyed, laced with cinnamon, haunted by mossy shadows that identifies Chant d'Arômes as a chypre. However, with the oakmoss quieted to a whisper, this classification feels more technical than just, and the effect feels peculiarly reversed, not unlike one of those colorized black-and-white photographs, YSL Y's floral-aldehydic sister. For all the mild-mannered charm of its dewy, honeysuckle heart, which might smell not unlike La Chasse Aux Papillons were it more legible, it doesn't exactly evoke a fresh flower market, for which you'd be better served by Caron's Bellodgia. Guerlinade's herbes-de-Provence accord, paired with strident aldehydes (no doubt the stronger via reformulation), gives the composition a more stylized aspect than true nature, like the kind of celebrity that Hollywood labels "girl next door".

on 6/11/2010 5:47:00 AM

Let us discuss love. Nay, let us discuss the buts, ifs and whateverfors of it. Why are we moved to love anyone or anything with a passion, while remaining completely unmoved by others? The answer (as we all know, anyway) lies with entirely subjective rather than objective criteria, and this is very much a case in point. The lovely Chant d'Arômes has zero sillage on me, no lasting power to speak of, nor has it ever earned me the slightest compliment. I might as well save my money, right? Wrong. I would not change a thing about it, just because the whole is more than the sum of its parts. This is pure sunshine to me, and has been a joy to wear for so long that I have thoughtlessly taken it somewhat for granted.
Not sure why - perhaps because the gossamer, translucent nature of the composition makes it almost invisible, surprisingly so as it sure does have plenty of character, once you get to know it! This delicate beauty is a true star for all its shyness, to my way of thinking remarkably second to none. Nowhere else have I encountered a golden honeysuckle-gardenia accord to equal the one discernible here, subtly interlaced with faintly green oakmoss, pale baby yellow unripe budding fruit, white clouds of very fine powder floating in the background. In a perfect world, EVERY day should be kicked off to a great start just like this, radiating gentle sunshine that warms your heart, infusing it with faith and courage to meet whatever lies ahead. In an imperfect world, ANY day blessed with quite so auspicious a beginning is something to be seriously grateful for. What was I thinking of, taking it for granted? Let me correct this error of omission straight away. While Après L'Ondée, L'Heure Bleue, and their modern and wonderfully inspired disciple, Heure Exquise, capture that magical moment when daytime makes way for night, Chant d'Arômes accomplishes an equally impossible mission capturing the elusive transition from de profundis, the darkest hour of the night, when the universe seems to stand still, for one agonized moment poised between doubt and despair ~
and daybreak, just before it boldly rises to the happy, bright, faithful promise which is early dawn.

on 3/20/2010 3:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Chant d'Aromes is a floral, not a sweet one. It lacks the gorgeous vanillic drydown of Shalimar et al, but instead shares the bitterness of another Guerlain classic, Chamade. I personally do not care for either. Chamade, at least is a well put together composition. This seems very watered down to me. I have a sample vial in the EDT; perhaps the EDP is different.

on 3/26/2009 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

While I recognize that this is a well made classic fragrance, this is not for me. I just don't like powdery fragrances and to me, this has a chypre beginning but turns into pure baby power afterwards. I will be passing on this fragrance.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

A classic chypre, very strong on the aldheides, very similar to Chanel 19 (19 is "greener", though) and reminiescent of Rive Gauche (this one being more "metallic") and L'Air du Temps
Chant d'aromes is an airy aldheidic vanilla in the classical Guerlain way, plus some berries, green grass and flowers.
Very classy, sophisticated.
Easy to wear but may not be for you if you want something "causal"... it still is a Guerain and says it loud!

on 12/8/2008 6:37:00 PM

About the parfum:

Hastily arranged florals and plums with various levels of ripeness and bloom. Haphazard and perfect. Streets of Paris. This one brings me to my knees.