e.l.f. Cosmetics Hydrating Face Primer

e.l.f. Cosmetics Hydrating Face Primer
Hydrating Face Primer

3.4

Dimethicone, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Dimethicon Crosspolymer, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate (Ve), Retinyl Palmitate (Va), Ascorbyl Dipalmate (Vc).

on 1/2/2019 6:20:00 AM

I found this a bit greasy at the beginning, but if you only use one drop, this works really well. I would only recommend this for people that have a really dry skin, if you're oily at all this product is not for you. However, this really hydrates my dry skin and does a really good job of prepping my skin before applying make up. It also brings a nice shine to my skin.

on 12/13/2018 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm 49 with dry, sensitive Rosacean skin so I need facial products without irritating ingredients like fragrance. This primer is fragrance-free (though it does smell a tad "oily") and contains Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil which is very moisturizing and soothing (it's one of the few plant oils my finicky skin loves). It also contains minimal amounts of Vitamin A, C and E. And yes, it also contains a lot of silicones (like most good facial primers and serums) in order to fill in pores and wrinkles and offer a smooth canvas.

Silicones aren't bad for the skin (unless your particular skin is sensitive to silicones and/or certain specific silicones make you break out) and don't "suffocate" skin. The unique fluid properties of silicone give it a great deal of slip, and it impart emollience, and be a water-binding agent that holds up well, even when skin becomes wet. The research about silicones have proven them to be superior scar-healing ingredients, soothing agents, non-irritating, and uniquely effective delivery and suspending agents for a wide range of cosmetic ingredients. Because of silicone’s unique molecular properties, they are at the same time porous and resistant though not impermeable to air. The special molecular structure of silicones (large molecules with wide spaces between each molecule) allows them to form a permeable barrier and also explains why silicones rarely feel heavy or occlusive, although they still offer protection against moisture loss. Interestingly, silicone has been shown to be helpful for offsetting dryness and flaking from common ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide.

Back to this primer. It's a clear, oily substance and *very* moisturizing (bordering on greasy). You have to shake the bottle well before applying. One pump is sufficient for the whole face. It literally makes your skin feel and look like silk. You have to wait 30 seconds or so before applying your foundation. Foundation glides on very smoothly and any dry patches disappear. Even when used with my powder foundation (JI PurePressed Base) it manages to give my face a beautiful glow. The moisturizing properties last all day. I don't experience any irritation or breakouts (but I'm not breakout-prone). In short, great primer and it's cheap as well. If you have dry skin I highly recommend trying it!

on 8/4/2018 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Like other silicone filled primers, this started leaving red bumps on my face in a few days...so did the porefessional by Benefit and others with a lot of ‘cones...worth a try if you are not sensitive to silicones...

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this by mistake, I meant to purchase the blemish control primer by e.l.f.; but I decided to try it since I already had it. It was horrible, I have oily skin so I wouldn’t normally pick a hydrating solution, but this was awful from the beginning. It feels greasy when you apply it and the feeling doesn’t go away, it sits on top of your skin and our foundation will slide right off your face! Never purchasing again

on 6/21/2018 4:51:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Other

I really like this primer I left my face feeling soft and smooth and kept my face hydrated and that I have dry skin I will be purchasing this primer again but I wouldn't recommend it if you have oily skin it may not work so well

on 6/19/2018 4:22:00 PM

I bought this because I wanted something that would hydrate my skin enough to wear powder. I does the trick. I use a minimal - emphasis on MINIMAL - quantity and, though it feels as if it never will sink in, it eventually does. Powder goes on well over it and I don't look like an Egyptian mummy.

So why the low grade? It is chock-o-block full of silicones. And, of course, it broke me out (a tiny zit, but enough to raise a red flag). With me it's almost mathematical. 2 + 2 = 4. My skin + silicone = zits.

I will not throw it away because I intend to use it sparingly and seldom, only when I want to use powder foundation. But girls with acne-prone skin BEWARE.

GREASY.

Love the blemish control primer, but this formula is too oily.

on 5/21/2018 7:10:00 PM

Goes on very thick and doesn’t allow for my makeup to blend in or stick, too much silicone to be a good buy.

on 5/8/2018 8:28:00 AM

Feels nice when applied but doesn’t make my makeup stay any longer. Feels greasy I feel my foundation is slipping around over this product. I don’t like the smell of it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I purchased this primer a couple of days ago and it didn't disappoint! This is a very hydrating primer, which is a must if you have dry skin. The consistency is almost like benefit porefessional. I think not only does it hydrate your skin it also minimizes pores which great! The price for this primer is really good. £7.50! Its infused with grape, vitamin A,C & E. The pump is also a great feature instead of a squeeze bottle.