Desert Essence Natural Whitening Tea Tree Oil Toothpaste in Cool Mint

4.6

Not tested on animals

on 5/31/2017 1:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My go-to toothpaste. If you're looking for a flouride-free, cruelty-free toothpaste, I highly recommend this one. I had to try several duds before stumbling upon this gem. I've repurchased several tubes and will continue to do so. I recommend it to anyone UNLESS you can't stand the feeling of mouthwash. I personally love it which is why I love this toothpaste. Not sure what it is about this stuff but the minty-ness is no joke and it cleans the mouth and teeth so well that you get the burning sensation that comes with some types of mouthwash, which could be a dealbreaker for some people. It's around $5 at my local health food store, although you can also find it online.

Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Glycerin, Water (Aqua), Gaultheria Procumbens (Wintergreen) Leaf Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Distillate, Carrageenan, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Bambusa Arundinacea Stem Powder, Phyllostachis Bambusoides Juice, Zinc Citrate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Calcium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Equisetum Arvense Leaf Extract (Horsetail), Sodium Bicarbonate, Sea Salt, Phytic Acid, Stevia Rebaudiana Leaf/Stem Powder

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

In the past, I tried to venture into the natural toothpaste realm. I tried Tom's, was totally turned off by everything about it and went back to Crest, Colgate, etc. Now, a few years later, the last time I was at the local health food store I decided to once again test the waters and purchase another natural toothpaste. I went for the cheapest one I could find which was this one by Desert Essence. The price was around $5 for a 6.25oz tube of toothpaste, which is around the same price that I've always paid for toothpaste.

I love this stuff so much. Baking soda and bamboo stem fiber are what give this product it's whitening and stain fighting properties. Sea salt and zinc citrate are the ingredients that fight plaque and protect against cavities. Wintergreen and Australian Tea Tree Oil are what provide the breath freshening effects.

I haven't noticed my teeth become miraculously whiter from using this, but they don't look any worse for the wear either since I made the switch. My teeth look and feel clean after I use this stuff. I adore wintergreen and looooove tea tree oil. If you dislike tea tree oil then don't buy this! The taste of this toothpaste is super strong. Sometimes I feel like it's almost as strong as mouthwash (not quite, but way stronger most toothpastes I've used.) That might be a turn off for many people so if you're sensitive to stuff like that or can't do mouthwash then you might want to skip on this. This product foams up really well during brushing. As another reviewer mentioned, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's working more effectively than toothpastes that don't foam up. It's just a matter of personal preference.

There is tons of controversy about fluoride and I don't claim to have the answers but it's something I personally want to avoid. If you do some research and find yourself leaning the same way then this may be worth a try.

on 1/24/2015 3:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I haven't tried many fluoride free tooth pastes, but the others have felt not very clean...I would always go back to conventional toothpaste because I felt like it wasn't doing the job. This, however, is awesome. It feels really clean and cool, keeps my teeth looking white. I have found one that works!

First thing I want to say is WOW. You get a LOT of toothpaste compared to other natural brands I've tried. I bought this after finishing my tube of Tom's WholeCare and finding it left a bit to be desired. For one it was a small tube, lasting only a couple weeks (and I'm the only one who used it). It also had a strange taste, and didn't leave my breath fresh for long.

I bought this because I have a tea tree cleansing bar from Desert Essence that I love, and their products smell and work great. The amount of toothpaste in the tube is at least twice what was in the Tom's tube, if not more, and they both cost about $6 CAD.

This toothpaste is very minty, a little goes a long way. I also love that it still foams, I know that doesn't mean my teeth are really clean but it's a sensation I prefer. After use, there is a bit of a bitter tea tree flavor, but to me it just tastes fresh. For the amount and the price, this is my new HG toothpaste. As for the whitening, I've only used it for a few days but my teeth do look brighter!

I like this toothpaste. I don't use flouride bc it's not good for us. I like the fresh flavour and that it's chemical free.