3.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

2 years ago

Pretty darn good sunscreen for an oily face. I don't know about white casts as I always wear foundation and I don't take flash photography so no idea about that there. It's lightweight and absorbs fast, leaving a matte finish. It has a light pleasant scent. Con is it's a bit hard to find in Canada and if you have a dry patch, it can accentuate it.

About reviewer (148 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

EyesBlack

3 years ago

This might be my HG. Kiehl's has a super-white cast and makes me break out. La Roche Posay runs into my eyes and stings if I so much as think a sweaty thought. Neutrogena has a white cast, makes me break out, and is eye-destroying Satan. Haven't tried Shisedo, but why bother when this gets the job done for $5 cheaper an ounce? I've been using this for two weeks, and it's worked perfectly on my dry, non-acne-prone skin. The alcohol has not been an issue at all. Sunscreen goes on white, but the cast disappears almost entirely by the time I've rubbed it in, and is 100% gone by the time it takes for me to walk from the first floor bathroom, collect my purse and work bag, and walk out the front door. I haven't worn this in the full blast of subway summer heat yet, but so far, it only stings a little if I've been an idiot and rubbed it into my eyelids or the corners of my eyes. Minus one lippie for not being 100% physical, but I swear the Vitamin E has my skin looking pretty damn good.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinDry, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Coarse

2.0

3 years ago

I bought this as a slightly cheaper, higher SPF alternative to Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free Protector SPF 42. Nope. My skin is oily-combination that's breakout and blackhead-prone and can become sensitive and flaky at times. The texture of this sunscreen was thicker and sticky, it never seems to absorb or dry to a soft, matte finish like Shiseido's does (nearly instantly). It just sits on my skin and feels tacky all day long, plus I had midday oiliness, which I never get with Shiseido. At least Algenist didn't clog my pores, cause a breakout, or get me burnt (so 2 lippies for that). I ended up using the rest of this bottle on my arms, which are typically dry, even though it was still sticky there. I won't buy again and I'll never stray from Shiseido again!

About reviewer (571 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBrunette, Curly, Coarse

3 years ago

I love this product! I realized a few years ago that I am allergic to the ingredient avobenzone, which is in most sunscreens. This is one of the few that do not have that ingredient. A little goes a long way. It doesn't clog pores - my skin is super oily. This doesn't leave a white cast, and plays well with other products - moisturizers, serums, primers, etc. The bottle is small for the price, but you really don't need much. I find that mine will last me at least 6 months. There is a shaker in the bottle so you get a good mix when shaking. No offensive scent and doesn't burn eyes in the event you end up getting some in there. Great for the face during a day at the beach. I hope they never change the ingredients on this one. I'd highly recommend.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinOily, Medium Brown, Warm

HairBlack, Curly, Fine

4 years ago

I think I've finally found my HG sunscreen! My derm wanted me to start using SPF 50 with my retinoid, but it seems the higher the SPF, the greasier the sunscreen. So I searched and searched and spent way too much on too many different products. I read the reviews on this one on Sephora and for all the reviews that state that it's made for dry skin - phooey! Perfect satin finish, and I find that I don't have to blot throughout the day anymore. What is this craziness?! Best ever, and I haven't had any adverse reactions from it.

About reviewer (184 reviews)

SkinCombination, Other, Not Sure

HairRed, Other, Other

4 years ago

This is my number one sunscreen ..... I have pale (NW10) skin and easily burn, however, this sunscreen really protects my skin ..... I love the consistency and it works well with my normal skin .... I also love that it works well with other products that I use and blends perfectly without balling. I have repurchased this so many times .... yes, it is pricey, however, for me it is worth it.

About reviewer (445 reviews)

Age

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

3.0

4 years ago

Edited to add: Sunscreen is the best preventative measure you can use against aging, hence why I don't mind the steep price tag. --------------------------------- I would like to start this review out with stating that I'd only recommend this sunscreen for dry skin. It is *almost* suited for normal skin, but as for oily skin... I would steer clear due to the anti-aging ingredients in this. I am usually oily, but developed dry skin due to skincare/diet changes. This sunscreen left a beautiful satin finish. I liked that it didn't emphasize my dry patches. In fact it concealed them a bit thanks to the added moisture. However as the day went on, my oil broke through. This is a physical sunscreen! Meaning it has zinc and titanium dioxide in vs chemicals. Personally, I much prefer physical sunscreen formulas as they are often less greasy, don't need to be touched up as frequently, and they are more sensitive-skin friendly. Many people complain that chemical sunscreens burn their face. I'm one of those whiners. The anti-aging ingredients I mentioned above consist of: alguronic acid, vitamin e, green tea, bearberry extracts, and licorice root extracts. The alguronic acid is awesome due to the fact it increases cell regeneration and elastin synthesis. However.. I am not a fan of vitamin e. It is a MAJOR pore clogger for me and many others. I suspect this is the main factor in this sunscreen being so emollient. If Algenist would remove it, then Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid SPF 50 would be a lot more acne-prone skin friendly. I am giving this sunscreen 3 lippies because I still believe it is a quality product that others would love. My 3 lippie rating may be a 5 lippie product to others.

About reviewer (514 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Fair, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

5 years ago

Me: Skincare is my jam, and I'm a bit of a sunscreen junkie. You know the type - kind of perpetually on the lookout for a physical/mineral sunscreen that is moisturizing, wears well under makeup, doesn't leave a super white cast on my not-so-white indian complexion, doesn't reappear if I decide to go for a run, and provides adequate protection from that fiery sky ball. You (Algenist): A. Really. Luxurious. Sunscreen. You apply smoothly, sink in quickly (taking any whiteness with you), don't cause dry patches, and once you set (while I make coffee) you provide a perfect base under makeup. However, your bottle is whack, and I had to cut off the tip of the nozzle so I could dispense the sunscreen faster. Also, $30 for a shot glass of product is a little steep, especially if I'm using the recommended 1/4 tsp a day on my face. Minus a lippie!

About reviewer (283 reviews)

SkinDry, Medium, Warm

HairBrown, Curly, Fine

5 years ago

I have been searching for a sunscreen that doesn't clog my pores and cause breakouts ever since my HG sunscreen (BurnOut) underwent an ill advised reformulation. I wanted all physical, but since every mineral-only sunscreen I've tried since has been a pasty, comedogenic mess, I've made peace with this *mostly* physical option. This isn't perfect by any means. It gets greasy later in the day. Now that I've been using retin-a a few months, either the alcohol or octinoxate makes my skin burn on initial application. It's whitening when you use the correct amount. However, it doesn't seem to make my awful, finicky skin any worse, which is more than can be said for pretty much every other sunscreen I've ever tried. It also spreads nicely and sinks in well after a minute or two. My makeup applies nicely over it (and tends to cancel out the whitening effect). What I hate: the stupid tiny bottle. Who are they kidding with this 1oz ish? It's sunscreen. The whole point is to use enough of it! By putting it in this dinky bottle they are encouraging people to use less than the recommended amount. We get it, the product is expensive. Just put it in a bigger bottle and charge accordingly! Since it's so hard to find a decent sunscreen, suckers like me will still buy it.

About reviewer (44 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

1.0

5 years ago

Edit: BROKE ME OUT IN THE WORST CYSTIC ACNE IN YEARS!!! Do NOT use if you are prone to acne. My face is still recovering a month later and I have heaps of red marks (hyperpigmentation) to get rid of now. Devastated as I do like the feel of this sunscreen :( I really love this sunscreen but after checking the ingredients (yes I should have done this before buying!!) I won't be buying it again. It contains multiple cancer causing ingredients and alcohol! It wears amazingly well though, is an excellent primer and smoothes out pores. Such a pity it's a chemical cocktail or I would keep using it.

About reviewer (9 reviews)

SkinCombination