RIMMEL Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation

RIMMEL Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation

3.0

Cyclopentasiloxane , Dicaprylyl Ether , Water , Isododecane , Talc , Trihydroxystearin , Disteardimonium Hectorite , Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer , Silica Dimethyl Silylate , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Polyglyceryl 3 Beeswax , Sorbitan Sesquioleate , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Kaolin , Tribehenin , Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate , Propylene Carbonate , PEG 10 Dimethicone , Caprylyl Glycol , Polypropylene , Phenoxyethanol , Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer , Sodium Chloride , Dimethiconol , Laureth 4 , BHT , Tocopherol , May Contain (+/-): , Titanium DioxideCI 77891 , Iron OxidesCI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499

A great every day foundation if you have normal/oily skin. I use 010 - light Porcelain which is pink in the tube but blends nicely to look natural on my face. The mousse formula dries to a VERY matte finish (even more matte than my Maybelline Matte + Poreless), so only use this if you have oily or normal skin - avoid this if you have dry or mature skin. Do not layer this on because it will look extra cakey - instead use a thin layer and blend it well, which will provide the same coverage as a BB cream. I think this product was meant for oily skin or someone looking for minimal coverage.

on 10/15/2018 2:56:00 PM

I love this! I was looking for a soft everyday foundation I could use since the other one I had was more for night time. I found this and loved it, i use the shade 200. Wearing primer before helps the mousse slide on easier, my skin is combination, i have tiny dry patches in my forehead so priming helps the mousse not stick to these. I use a fluffy brush to blend and it works great, haven’t tried with my beauty blender. It stays on pretty long, even though I sealed it with powder but never retouched and 6 hours later it looks great. Would definitely recommend if you’re looking for a medium coverage everyday foundation, that works well for night time too, and that offers that matte but not dull look. And a little goes on a loong way, no need to use lots of it to get good coverage!

After running out of my KVD lock it foundation, I was on the hunt for a decent and somewhat similar foundation with a waaaaay cheaper price tag on it that would provide a similar medium to fuller coverage application.
Being a higher end foundation I know that it sounds funny to try and find a similar knock off to it at the drugstore but I believe that many drugstore foundations have come a long way over the past few years and have definitely upped their game when it comes to coverage and quality. So since being a mom on the go doesn’t always quite allow me to go the extra mile and take the extra time to get all dolled up with a full coverage kind of foundation I usually won’t use them very often and will reach for a more speedy and lighter coverage foundation and/or bb creams/tinted moisturizers on a daily basis. Because of that I didn’t want to pay so much for something that I wouldn’t be using very often.
So i was browsing around online for a few drugstore foundation recs on the fuller coverage scale and was intrigued by this one with the mousse texture. That same week I got an email from ulta stating that all rimmel products were on sale so I figured I’d go and check it out. First thing I noticed was that unfortunately there wasn’t a very broad shade range for this particular product but fortunately for me I found that the shade “true ivory” matched me pretty well so that’s the one I ended up purchasing ( I am a mac NW20 in the summer and NC20 in the winter season for reference). I find that this kind of formulation is best applied with a damp beauty blending sponge to give you that flawless poreless look and doesn’t do very well with a brush because it can tend to get kind of streaky with its texture.
I have combo skin and found that it left my oily areas shine free to live up to its matte claims and as for my not so oily areas? They were not left with any dry patches like some matte formulations can leave behind. I set it with my PF talc free mineral wear spf 30 loose powder and noticed that the coverage did last me pretty much the entire day in a humid climate so I would say that it is definitely a long wear type of foundation as well. It also has not caused my skin any kind of breakouts or minor irritation and find that it does not oxidize or feel heavy on the skin when applied the way that I mentioned earlier. However, I would not recommend layering this foundation to build up the coverage as it provides a better than decent amount in one application as it is and will then start to become cakey and mask like if you do so. One layer applied meticulously was enough for me to cover up my minor post acne marks, discolorations and little red splotchy areas and for only $5 I was definitely pleased. And as for the packaging? I like that its in a convenient and more hygenic tube for easy dispensing to give you just the right amount of product that you like without being wasteful like some foundations with bulky glass bottles and messy pumps or less hygenic jars.
Long story short, if you have oily to combo skin and are looking for a decent mattifying foundation that provides medium to full coverage without breaking the bank I would definitely recommend that you give this one a try!

on 6/24/2018 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I was initially not convinced because it sunk into my pores and also bundled on my face. However, after a while it started reacting better, the coverage is good, the colour is a bit darker than it should and lasts for a few good hours.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Best foundation ever. Excellent coverage and staying power for my exceptionally oily skin. And a bargain price. A million times better in coverage and matte-ness than Lancome or Estee Lauder. Just a bit gutted as I think it's been discontinued. So I ordered 5 tubes of it off the Superdrug website.

on 4/29/2018 7:30:00 AM

I have sensitive skin and this foundation didn't cause any break outs, but that is the only good thing I can say about it. I bought this for €8 in the shade 010 Light Porcelain, which was too pink for my skin... but the next shade up was too dark. So the shade range was a problem for me. The consistency was so thick that I found it difficult to blend. It was streaky if I used my makeup brush to apply it, and it wasn't any better if I used my fingers. I also thought that this foundation was very drying, which only felt worse once I applied powder. Another thing I didn't like is that it would stick to any flaky patches I had, but wear off everywhere else! I'm just glad I didn't spend a lot of money on this!

on 4/19/2018 8:21:00 AM

I purchased this product in Light Porcelain 010 over a year ago. When it comes to applying the product I find that it goes on easy. The formula easily squeezes out of the tube. The formula is a bit thick for my liking, but this is indeed a mousse foundation, not a liquid.

Let me tell you that this product is highly transferable unless set with a powder. As someone who does not like to use powder, this product is a nightmare! It gets on my glasses and anything that touches my face. This product does not seem to fully 'dry'.

I have cool undertones and the porcelain shade is red compared to my complexion. Looking at my wrists, I appear quite yellow. When viewing myself in the mirror I can notice the redness, but other people have said otherwise.

I will say it is truly is a matte foundation as it claims.

Edit: I find that using a damp sponge to apply this product helps a lot when it comes to both preventing it from transferring and building up the coverage.

Whenever I think about how much I paid for this, I'm always a little shocked because it performs really well.

Pros:
- A good medium coverage, great for everyday wear if you have lots you want to cover, but don't want to look like you have that full coverage foundation mask on.
- Stays matte quite well. Doesn't completely eliminate shine, but significantly and noticeably reduces it.
-I don't notice it settling into lines any more than other foundations.

Could be better:
- Texture. But this is personal preference. It's not as fast to blend as a typical liquid foundation.
- Shades are a little off. I use 403. In natural light it appears to be a pretty good match albeit about half a shade darker. Yet in some white lighting it looks lighter and like there's a hint of a white cast.

What I've learned:
- Do NOT build this foundation up, because it will get cakey and emphasise texture badly. If you want extra coverage, use a concealer to spot conceal.
- I've found it's best to spread a very thin layer all over with my fingers, then dab it in with a sponge. I haven't tried a brush because I'm not a fan of brushes as there's a possibility of micro exfoliation. And though I haven't experienced it, I have a feeling that this foundation may cling to dry patches due to it's thicker texture.

Would recommend if:
You have normal to oily skin

Would not recommend if:
You have dry skin, or very textured skin.

Overall, it's a good everyday foundation, but I'm not in love with it to the point where I'd go out of my way to repurchase (since my shade isn't sold in my country). Might repurchase if there's a sale, but who knows. Good, but not Amazing foundation.

Edit 23/3/18:
Wanted to add: This foundation takes time to blend.
So if you want something that is quick for rushed mornings - this isn't for you. Blending this requires lots more time than typical foundations (and also a little more arm strength) So skip out if you're looking for something quick and easy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This was my HG foundation for years. It offers very good coverage,stays matte, doesn't break me out, and has a decent stay power. I even wore it on my own wedding with no problems at all. I only changed it because my skin's needs have changed in time and it even went quite crazy for a while, so I went out to try some new products, but I still use it from time to time. Unfortunately it doesn't have SPF (I prefer foundations that do, as my skin doesn't like it when I put anything with SPF directly on it, only on top of a moisturizer)

on 2/12/2018 6:52:00 PM

I bought this because the shade match from the tester was a perfect shade match on my arm. It did end up being a matching shade for my face once I tried it but it oxidized after about an hour leaving a "mask" look to my face. Given this was the lightest shade I couldn't try a lighter shade in the range. Anyway, the actual performance.

I tried this with 1 water-based primer, and 3 silicone-based primers, 2 setting powders, and 2 setting sprays. It definitely works best with a silicone-based primer and I had the best luck with my Elf loose powder applied with a sponge. I didn't notice a difference with the sprays. It applies like the old school "mousse" foundations. It's thick but spreads out well. I would recommend if you use this to try a few different application methods. I got the least cakey results by spreading it with my fingers and then blending in with a sponge. I found it wore off the nose after about 5 hours but the rest of the face did really well.

Sounds so far good right? Yeah, nope. I experimented a lot with this which also included difference blushes and highlighters... It ate them. Blush would apply fine but would disappear into the foundation after a couple hours. I couldn't get any glow from my highlighters. 4 layers would usually be blinding and I ended up with a subtle glow. I am going to return this foundation because it's just not worth this trouble and I want to be able to use whatever blush and highlighter I want regardless of my base. I should mention I haven't had this problem with any other foundation.

I would only recommend trying this if you have a great shade match and can buy it from somewhere you can return it.