Rimmel Stay Matte Primer

Rimmel Stay Matte Primer

3.5

ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, VINYL DIMETHICONE/ METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, POLYPROPYLENE, SILICA, SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, BIS-PEG/PPG-14/14 DIMETHICONE, GLYCERIN, LAURETH-7, TRIBEHENIN, XANTHAN GUM, PHENOXYETHANOL, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, CHLORPHENESIN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, DISODIUM EDTA, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE. [May Contain/Peut Contenir/+/-: TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891)].

on 8/14/2016 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I'm not sure why this didn't live up to the hype for me - but it just didn't! Think I actually had to use more of my blotting papers than normal and when mixed with my foundations went a bit blotchy after a few hours.

on 8/11/2016 4:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I'm trying to get into wearing primers. I've used a primer by Neutrogena before, but this tops that. It really has a matte finish and sits well under makeup for a nice even application. I would buy this again.

To Read all 165 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/1/2016 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This primer literally does nothing for me I don't even know why I still use it. I have normal skin that gets oily under the sun and this primer has no drying nor mattifying effect on me.

on 7/14/2016 5:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I used to use this religiously for 2 years and only a few days ago, squeezing the very last of it out of the 2nd tube, I realized that this stuff causes me to break out (giving me small white bumps on my cheek and nose area)! I am so disappointed because generally it's a nice drugstore primer with a reasonable price.
It made certain foundations look way better on my skin, also helped them last a little longer. The consistency is thick which makes a little go a long way. I'd say try this if you have combo skin that's not prone to break outs.

on 6/28/2016 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

My skin and foundation turn a bit gooey in the humid summertime months. I tried switching foundations but then stumbled on a better solution - a matte primer! WHOA - made all the difference! This foundation keeps my foundation matte and my face shine-free all day. I apply it after skin care products and sunscreen but before makeup.

PROS
matte finish
long-wearing
reasonably priced

CONS
drying

on 6/27/2016 7:58:00 PM

I have combo skin with a really oily t-zone. Most people say their skin is *really* oily but it's not actually oily at all so I'll describe what mine is like - I have shine on my face after not even an hour of wearing a regular foundation (not mattifying). Without anything on my face, I'll probably get a little shiny after 30 min to 1 hour. With a mattifying foundation, I get shiny after 2 hours (giorgio armani lasting silk foundation).

ok onto the review..

I LOVE THIS PRIMER! It's a thick (but NOT greasy) lotion-like consistency. it can leave a white cast if you don't rub it in all the way but that's easy to control.
It controls oil really well. I know there is probably another primer out there that is better than this one so that's the reason for the 4 stars and because it doesn't do anything for pores.
Normally I wear la roche posay anthelios mineral 50 ultralight sunscreen fluid which has some silicones in it that help with oil too so with this lotion and just the primer, I'll start to show some shine (but don't need to blot yet) after 4 1/2 to 5 hours!
With the la roche sunscreen and the primer AND my giorgio armani lasting silk foundation, I can get 5 - 6 hours easily :).

I really like the lotion texture of the primer vs other thick gel like ones. It absorbs fast and does not pill. I've tried with other foundations too. Price isn't really a big deal for me - I would shell out a small fortune just to not have to deal with shine but the fact that this is cheap is another plus! I use a small pea-sized amount btw and just dab and rub it into my t-zone.

In comparison to other primers:

I have tried SO many different primers. Sephora is so awesome about samples. I went in a few times and grabbed all the "good" ones - I've tried becca ever-matte poreless, smashbox, hourglass mineral veil, givenchy mister mat, coverfx - the acne one which actually made me break out funny enough, MUFE, benefit porefessional, tarte 12-hr amazonian, laura mercier radiance, diorskin, bobbi brown, etc. I have tried other drugstore ones too: sonia kashuk mattifying primer (liked at first - thought it was close to HG but then it stopped working after a week), neutrogena shine control (barely tried - it was grainy).

There are still some that I would still like to try- two faced, dr brandt, and peter thomas roth.

But for your reference, I'll rate these and how they stack up to the rimmel. Btw, I tested all of these multiple times, with different foundations, AND always did a half face test - ie right side of face with primer, other side without)

My rating - just based on their oil-controlling abilities alone (best first):
-becca ever-matte
-hourglass
-givenchy
the rest are irrelevant.

Becca ever-matte is SO great - could be HG but it dried out my face and pilled with my armani foundation.
Hourglass made me break out :( Tried this one twice and only the side of my face with the primer would break out. But it was really good at controlling oil.
Givenchy might be tied with hourglass but not quite as good as becca ever-matte. But I liked the texture of the givenchy the most and it smoothed my pores. The reason I didnt end up buying it though is because I felt like it wasn't the best primer ever since I know becca is better and although I liked the texture more than the others, it wasn't my fav feeling on my face.

I would say the rimmel is tied with the hourglass mineral veil primer! The rimmel isn't as good as becca - becca is really something else, but it's definitely close! And the rimmel stay matte doesn't dry out my skin which is why I love it so much!

So there you have it, sorry it's long but hope it helped someone!

Not only did this not work at keeping me matte, but it actively made my foundation application worse. My foundation looked much better on bare skin than over this primer. I returned it.

on 6/15/2016 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have very oily skin and I live in Florida, so finding a mattifying primer that actually WORKS has been extremely difficult for me. I've tried dozens of them, and most don't anything, some work for an hour or so, etc. etc.
I bought this one during a desperate dash thru CVS, tossing everything & anything that claimed to mattify in my basket--this is the only product that I didn't return. I actually bought 3 more.
It's a strange product, thick, greasy cream, but it mattifies my face and it's CHEAP. Unfortunately, it does not cover my huge pores, but I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that nothing out there can both cover pores (without clogging them & causing heinous breakouts) and keep the oil slick at bay.
I can't say how well this stuff works under foundation because it's too damn humid here to wear any, but it works beautifully over all of my sunscreens & BB creams. I wait about 15-20 minutes for my sunscreen to absorb, then smear a layer of this all over my face & PAT IT IN. It looks really greasy for about 10 minutes, then, magically, my face is matte! And it stays matte for at least 5 or 6 hours. I've had various degrees of success using powders over this, but if you add a powder, you really have to make sure that you've patted the primer in & it's completely dry...otherwise you will end up having to wash your face & start all over again.
Is this a HG item for me? No, but I will continue to buy it until someone comes out with a product that both mattifies & covers my pores.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This primer I would suggest for those who don't have really oily areas. I think its great initially and on its own, however, my nose (my most oily area) gets shiny in the same time as if i weren't to use it.

I suspect it even makes my nose oilier faster...

Anyhow, there's a lot of product and a little goes a long way, you can really see it mattify fast on the skin and reduce shine. It does have a white cast for me, and I'm medium to light skin so take that into account if you have a deeper skin tone and are planning to use this with a sheer foundation or BB cream etc.

on 6/2/2016 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have dry skin except my t-zone. My nose tends to get very oily no matter what I do. This primer works great for a few hours (2-4), and my makeup went on beautifully over top. But after that my nose is a shiny beacon again🙁. I love it but I wish it was long lasting.