Rimmel Stay Matte Primer

Rimmel Stay Matte Primer

3.4

ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, VINYL DIMETHICONE/ METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER, ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, POLYPROPYLENE, SILICA, SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, BIS-PEG/PPG-14/14 DIMETHICONE, GLYCERIN, LAURETH-7, TRIBEHENIN, XANTHAN GUM, PHENOXYETHANOL, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, CHLORPHENESIN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, DISODIUM EDTA, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, PENTAERYTHRITYL TETRA-DI-T-BUTYL HYDROXYHYDROCINNAMATE. [May Contain/Peut Contenir/+/-: TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891)].

on 3/27/2017 11:51:00 AM

I purchased this sometime around the end of last summer, I think, because even my matte foundations were not holding up well in the heat and humidity. I held off on reviewing it until I was certain I knew how it worked with my skin and foundation, and I'm really disappointed in it now.

When I first started using this, I was dealing with very oily, breakout-prone, sensitive skin. Most of my breakouts (and, oddly, the oiliness of my skin that I've assumed was just my skin type since I was a teenager) have been resolved since I discovered I'm gluten intolerant. Now I only break out hormonally or because of a product. In this case, it's definitely this product that caused my breakouts. I've tested it a few times over the last couple of months, after using my regular products with a different primer, but only when I used this one did I break out. It isn't even just acne type breakouts, though. I also end up with something like hives (tiny bumps, a bit of redness, and a lot of itching), usually while I'm still wearing this primer. Very annoying. (I think my skin just doesn't like Rimmel much, because I had a similar reaction to a couple of powders and a foundation in the past.)

As for the "stay matte" claim...well, it does an alright job, I guess. It does seem to help keep the oil at bay longer than non-matte primers I've used. But, because my skin is now more normal (to dry), I can't use this all over or my skin gets very dry, very quickly, which leads to my foundation looking flaky and gross.

The one redeeming thing about this that would convince me to repurchase it if I hadn't had a bad reaction is how my foundation wears over it. While it doesn't keep me matte, it does seem to keep my foundation looking much better than my other primers, for longer. I still get some oxidization, but it isn't very bad and usually only around my nose and the corners of my mouth. That's also where I start seeing a bit of separation. However, I think it usually doesn't happen for a long time, like 7+ hours. This is during the winter and spring, though, so I imagine it would take less time in the summer.

The texture of this primer really confused me when I first got it, because it feels almost like a cream. A dry cream, if that makes any sense at all. It has the consistency of something between a lotion and cream, but it feels more powdery as it's rubbed in and begins to dry. It starts to dry pretty quickly, though, which makes applying it a challenge. I usually apply it in sections.

Pros:
-Not very expensive
-Keeps oiliness down a bit longer than my non-matte primers
-Foundation seems to look good longer

Cons:
-Caused breakouts
-Caused allergic reaction
-Doesn't seem to actually help keep things matte
-Texture makes application more difficult than other primers I've used
-Not good for dry skin (possibly not good for normal skin if you get dry easily)

on 2/11/2017 11:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Very poor quality product. Texture feels cheap and made make up claggy. Absolute did not stand up to 'stay matte' as I had as many oily breakthroughs as if I'd not worn anything. I was looking for a cheaper comparison to my (at the time) Avon Magix and this was simply a waste of money.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Don't use if you have dry skin!

on 1/31/2017 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This primer has pretty decent reviews it seems, but it just didn't work for me. It was really thick and difficult to blend out. And for some reason this made my foundation go on super patchy and uneven. I will be throwing this out.
[0]

This stuff sucks! My skin looked way better when not wearing primer as opposed to wearing this. I have combination skin; it's dry on my cheeks, slightly oily on my t-zone, and normal everywhere else. It made my face shiny within an hour, which doesn't happen when I'm not wearing primer. It also made my foundation sink into my pores and not last nearly as long. I will definitely not repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I purchased this after hearing many reviews that it was a good product and seeing it had fairly good reviews on here, but I would always notice my makeup NEVER lasted, then I went to Sephora to try a different primer and OMG I tried the Dr. Jarts dis a pore (it's labeled bb cream but the girl said it's used as a primer) and wow this stuff is amazing. It made my makeup look beautiful and flawless and last all day (what a primer is supposed to do) so i realized don't waste the 6 bucks on this stuff, splurge a little bit to get the skin you have always been wanting.

on 12/9/2016 9:54:00 PM

The main reason why this is a good primer is the rating it gets on the EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database. It scored 1 for toxicity levels (which is fantastic) and is a low hazard cosmetic. Big big tick there.

The consistency of this product is very thick. Thicker than I like, but it settles on application so it's not too bad. It works fine for me.

Does it mattify my makeup? Lol I have no idea. My makeup is matte because of the foundation and powder I use, not because of the primer. Maybe this primer has the power of mattifying one's complexion but I really couldn't say.

Irrespective it's a cheap, affordable and low hazard cosmetic.....so 10/10

I use this for mattifying and place it on mostly on my T-zone (I also use a pore filling primer just on my large pores near my nose). I then use a powder foundation on top of it, so depending on what your routine is, your mileage may vary!

Pros:
Face takes longer to get shiny (less blotting!)
Foundation goes on/adheres nicely
Bronzer/Blush is vibrant for WAY longer
Texture is like lotion, feels like nothing on skin and isn't drying
Cheap and easy to find

Cons:
Doesn't keep me totally matte, but that's the oily skin life!
Rimmel is not cruelty free so I debate repurchasing :(

After only using high end primers, I decided to try Rimmel Stay Matte Primer after seeing it listed as a favorite drugstore brand primer on a blog. I love it! I prefer the texture to silicone based primers like Smashbox Photo Finish. My combination skin is prone to t-zone shine and this primer is truly mattifying. It feels moisturizing but not oily or sticky. It makes a perfect base for liquid foundation and keeps it from disappearing during the day. Love it!

on 11/30/2016 5:55:00 AM

I use this around my nose to keep my oily bits under control. Works well, does what it says and keeps the area matte so that I didn't have to powder my face all the time.

I'd be careful with using this on dry skin though. I have combination skin and when I made the mistake of putting this near my eyes it creased my concealer and highlighted my dry areas.