Maybelline New York Volum' Express The Colossal - Smoky Eyes

Maybelline New York Volum' Express The Colossal - Smoky Eyes

3.8

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a decent mascara and I like it more than some high end mascaras I tried. I always go back to this. I love the look it gives my lashes - a bit of length and volume which is perfect for day use.

I also find the applicator comfortable to use. Make sure to swipe the excess product from the tip before applying. You can tilt the brush and use its narrow tip to define outer or bottom lashes.

The only downside is that this product is not very long lasting. It's enough to survive a calm working day though, so if I have plans for evening etc. I tend to use a different mascara.

Overall, great value for money and great look. I have repurchased it and will do again.

+ Look
+ Application
+ Price

- Not long lasting

I love this mascara, I use it every day. It gives to my lashes amazing look and I will definitely buy it again

on 12/25/2015 4:31:00 PM

This is my holy grail mascara. It makes me eyelashes look really fluttery, which I love! It lengthens really well and gives a nice amount of volume. The only down side is that it does flake throughout the day slightly. However, for the price, I really don't mind. this is by far my favourite mascara and I always get compliments on how fluttery and pretty my eyelashes look. The packaging is so cute! I love how it's bright yellow as it makes it really easy to find in your makeup bag, haha!

As far as drugstore mascara goes this stuff is pretty good. My lashes are on the longer side but I still look for some lengthening effect as well as good volume. I find that a few coats of this gives me both. The only problem I have with the application is that the long bristles on the wand tends to get mascara on my eyelid right above the lash-line. (I do have this problem with other mascaras too, so it is probably mostly because of my technique, but this one is particularly difficult for me to use.)

The biggest reason this is not my everyday mascara, is the same problem I find with a lot of other drugstore mascaras, they smudge and flake on me. In this mascara's defense I've had this problem with almost every mascara I've ever tried, and this is far from the most smudging/flaking one. I now use a tube mascara because they are literally incapable of smudging.

Bottomline: My favorite "regular" drugstore mascara, and I definitely recommend it if you don't have a problem with regular mascara smudging on you.

on 5/12/2015 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Colossal smoky eyes mascara in blackest smoke is a softer black mascara. It does gives lenght and some volume to the lashes. I always use colossal mascara with falsies mascara by maybelline. It's a combo that i do. Love it!

on 12/12/2014 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I love how this lenghens and volumizes. But I have to mention the flowery smell this mascara lets off. It is strong enough for me not to purchase it again. Not good for sensitive eyes. If you aren't sensitive then I would recommend this. But there are too many other cheap mascaras that are fragrance free for me to buy it again.

I found this on the clearance rack at ulta for $1.99! The perfect mascara for my long lashes in need of volume... I wish it wasn't discontinued. I will have to try the regular one. I hope it's as good!

on 8/30/2014 8:00:00 AM

I like how this product works, but is smells and makes my eyes water badly. If you can tolerate it, it's one of the better mascaras. It darkens my lashes and makes them stand out more. Product is a bit messy too. In the trash unfortunately :(

PROS-
Really amazing pigmentation
Doesn't flake
Holds a curl
Adds length and volume
Cheap

Cons-
The packaging can cause the product to be a little messy if you aren't careful.
Doesn't last all day

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Truly don't understand why this gets so many bad reviews... this is actually my new favourite mascara! I bought this on impulse about a month ago cause it was on sale at Target for about $5 CDN. Yes, the formula is a bit goopy and if you're not careful you may risk getting it all over your lids. But with a light hand, this goes on great and makes my semi-thin lashes look so much thicker. I not only use this with a smoky eye, but also when I'm going for a more played-down look and it's perfect. The colour I have is Blackest Smoke, which I believe is the darkest black.

I did notice that it has a slight smell to it. I mean it's nothing terrible - I have a pretty sensitive sense of smell so it may just be me but I don't think it would be anything to worry about. That and the fact that the formula is a little goopy makes me give this product 4 lippies out of 5. But I still love the fact that it gives great volume and doesn't clump.
The perfect mascara for me!