Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I have nearly purchased this palette time and time again. With it being half off at Ulta recently I finally purchased it. And I will be returning it. My overall impression, snore fest with mediocre shadows.
The packaging is a magnetic tin. The magnet is pretty weak so it doesn’t feel very secure. And the mirror inside rattles. It’s a very cute design and uses space well. I like that the names are printed by the shadows.
The formula for most of the shadows is so dry and dusty. They apply pretty smoothly and blend well but getting color pay off on some is a beast. The mattes are ok, a little dry and stiff and very hard packed but ok. I love salted Carmel, triple fudge, and white chocolate. Semi sweet, milk chocolate, and cherry cordial were ok. Strawberry Bon Bon didn’t have much color pay off, I had to really pack it on. The true shimmers are pretty nice too. I love marzipan and champagne truffle. Creme Brule and haute chocolate work well. But the satiny shimmers are terrible. They are dusty and super densely packed. You have to use them wet to get any color pay off so you really can’t use them in the crease. Gilded ganache, candied violet, hazelnut were the worst. I got amaretto to be quite pretty when foiled. Black Forest truffle is bad too. Over all there were about 5 shades I loved, 4 I was ok with, and 7 I disliked.
As for the colors of these shades, snore fest. This is the most uninspirering palette I have ever worked with. And that’s probably because 7 of the shades wouldn’t show up on my lids. I’m theory guided ganache, cherry cordial, and candied violet could be fun. But they all either had poor pigmentation and poor color saturation. Cherry cordial performs ok but it ends up looking washed out brown on the lid, not burgundy. Strawberry Bon Bon doesn’t show up. I cannot get candied violet or gilded ganache to look like anything on the lid. It’s a patchy, faded, colorless mess. If I kept this palette I would use about 5 shades which are all easily duped in my collection and that it. Those five shades are quite good but I just don’t want this palette taking up space in my collection for that. I remember watching someone try to pan this palette on YouTube and I just remember how frustrated she was and how much she hated it. And I recently also watched a one month one palette with it and she got very bored of it. I can see why both of those ladies struggled. It’s going back as soon as I’m by an Ulta.

I bought this at Ulta during their 21 Days of Beauty sale. I’ve been quite impressed with the quality of the shadows, however, the colors show up very muddy and don’t blend well at all. I ended up giving this palette to my coworker since she loves Too Faced. Not to mention, I ended up having a bad reaction to the scent.

Smells delicious, colors look nice and are pretty long lasting. Pans are very shallow I went through my favorite color pink sugar in no time at all. Reason for poor rating is the darker colors don't seem to blend well on the skin and end up looking dirty. Also there is a lot of fall-out and I mean a lot. Another thing is I think there's something in the formula that irritates my eyes, maybe it's the scent. Other than that the packaging and colors are great and I do like the idea of a scented product but maybe just not for the eye area.

on 6/15/2018 10:31:00 AM

At the end of the day, this is my go-to palette. You can create basic looks or something more dramatic. There are a lot of neutrals/browns so you have to like that sort of look to get your money's worth. Some beautiful shimmery lid shades. I also love the pink and purple colours to mix things up when I'm in the mood. Has a nice mirror, good packaging, and smells like chocolate (which everyone knows). It just makes me happy looking at this palette! I will be going on vacation for 2 weeks and this will be the only palette I bring as its so versatile. Definitely recommend and would repurchase.

I got this back in the day when this was new and hyped and everyone kept talking about it. It was one of my very first eye pallettes ever so my expectations weren't as high as they are now as I didn't have much comparison. I kept using it, the packaging was cute and it smelled nice. But when buying the eye pallette you expect shadows to be good and there are pretty meh. To tell the truth I haven't had much luck with Too Faced products overall, I think apart from the super lovely packaging they are pretty overpriced and overhyped for what they are. The shadows in the pallette don't blend nicely and don't have a staying power, also the pigmentaion is really not that good and there's much fallout. I am not impressed with this one and I gave it away.

on 5/31/2018 12:20:00 PM

Colors are wearable, warm neutrals and for the price there is a decent amount of product and shade selection. Unfortunately *I* am allergic to this shadow. Understandably ymmv but I don't know why fragrance (as in parfum/artificial) is added to an eye product when the eyes are so sensitive and eyelid skin is so thin and delicate. TF has revamped their line where basically ALL of their shadows are now artificially scented and now they're basically dead to me as a brand bc of this. Even the 9 pans are revamped now w added fragrance. I feel like they isolated a huge market that wants their makeup to just be high performing makeup, not a kitschy looking collectors piece that smells like ice cream.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Forever my favorite eye shadow palette!! The formula is amazing and all of the shadows preform nicely. The colors are beautiful and practically glide onto the eyes and there are no blending issues whatsoever. All of the colors work well together and are very pigmented. This product retails for $49 but is worth the buy! I have green eyes and this palette really makes them pop. Hands down the best Too Faced product that you could purchase! Worth the hype!

on 4/9/2018 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This palette is so good, I like it because it has some fun colors mixed with neutrals and it's perfect for begginers or people who love warm-neautral eyeshadows. Every color in this palette blends flawless, it smells delicious,
There are only 2 things that I don't like so much but I don't care:
The brown satin shades are almost the same and the purple shade is imposible to work with.
I love it and I will buy it again <3

on 3/11/2018 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I LOVE this palette. In OG chocolate bars, I am semi sweet, this, and bon bons. This creates great work looks, neutral eyes, and just basic eye looks. It's perfect. The formula is soft and creamy, it doesn't fade, and you just can't go wrong. Definitely one of my top 5 and I have 20+ palettes.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Just purchased this week and was disappointed to note that the chocolate scent is faint as ever.

This really is a brown-lover's palette. So many variations of brown shades. It's not a bad thing if you like that. I love that they have large pans for the all over lid shades. Quality is good! Candied Violet sucks but I didn't buy the palette for that shade anyways. I think it's a good neutral palette, great for beginners or those who really suck at makeup haha.