Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.4

on 1/1/2014 12:04:00 AM

I received this a couple days ago from Sephora.com, I had been waiting for this to get in stock, as it is described as a neutral toned palette and I am obsessed with nude palettes. This and my OCC 12 mini tube collection were my 2 most anticipated purchases on this haul.

I have had a chance to play around with the palette and like all Too Faced eyeshadows, this offering does not disappoint. There are 16 neutral (nude) shadows with 8 rich mattes and 8 shimmers. This palette does not contain anything over the top as far as textures, colors, etc. so it is a great work palette. The shimmer selection has some that are more shimmery than others but they are all workable and again there is nothing over the top. The mattes are rich and velvet like, nothing powdery or chalky. I applied all shadows with primer, I like to use both UDPP and TFSI and switch back and forth regularly, I did not experience fall out with any of the shadows. The palette is well designed with 2 larger pans containing base/highlight colors that one will definitely use more than the other colors.

When I first opened the palette I was taken by surprise as the box looks like the wrapper of a chocolate bar, the tin is milk chocolate colored and sculpted to look like a chocolate bar that is pre-divided into sections. The biggest surprise was when I opened the tin and caught a whiff, it smells like cocoa too...scrumptious! As with all Too Faced eyeshadow palettes, they do include a pamphlet with ideas and instructions for using the product to achieve some looks.

I can see where I am going to enjoy using this palette, not only are the shadows nice but the packaging reminds me of Willy Wonka and finding a golden ticket or something.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I love this palette SO MUCH. I've been using it for a solid two weeks now and I have no plans to return to Naked 3, 2, 1 or Lorac Unzipped or UD Smoked or any of my 753376538 MAC shadows etc etc any time soon. There are several reasons I will be ignoring all of my other shadows for who knows how long:
1. The smell. These shadows obviously smell like chocolate. I am not a morning person. Every morning that whiff of cocoa when I dip my brush in whatever shade I choose to use first puts my mood from groggy and pissy to happy and comforted in an instant. I guess I am very susceptible to the soothing powers of chocolate.
2. The colors. I have used every single color in this palette and have loved every look I have achieved with it. For my coloring- about NC30 skin, blonde hair, green eyes- all the shades in this palette are not only flattering, they are complimentary. Having those burgundy shades really sets this over the top for me because no colors will make my green eyes stand out like red based colors. I don't have to reach for any other shadows to complete a look. Using any other palette I own, I would have to reach elsewhere for a hi lite for the brow, or maybe a blender color. But not here. For the vast majority of my days, I wear a softly smokey eye done with warm colors. This lets me do several variations of that with a little purple for fun.
3. The quality. All of the shadows are wonderfully pigmented, smooth and easily workable. There are a few with teeny glitters, and the glitter stays on the eyes if I press the shadow on or it easily is tapped away from my brush if I choose to do so. I have no fading or creasing through the day. I always prime with UDPP in Eden, so nothing really ever fades or creases on my primed lids.
4. The packaging/presentation. This is just a cute palette. It looks like a chocolate bar. Inside it has an overlay on the shadows with the names, just like a box of nice chocolates. It's very sturdy and has a nice weight to it. It opens and closes without an issue (hem HEM Naked 3). It's just fun to use. Makes me happy.
So again, I adore this and it is my favorite makeup purchase in some time. I would give up all my naked palettes for it. I am going to update this review when I move on from this palette. I don't even know why I'd stray at this point, but it will be worth making note of if it makes me as happy as this palette.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The Chocolate Bar palette is kind of a weird concept with the cocoa powder thing, but I've really enjoyed having it, and I use it every day now. I bought it because I was getting kind've bored using my Naked 1 palette, and had bought both the Naked 3 and the Lorac Pro palette only to return them out of disappointment. I wanted blendable neutrals that I could combine in multiple ways, and that's exactly what this collection of shadows delivered.

I like that they don't mess around. You get the one palette, no teensy extras, no brush you're never going to use, etc. The packaging seems a little chunky, it seems like there's a lot of silly space at the bottom beneath the shadows, but nothing too bad. The closures are magnetic, and I do have some worry they will wear out, but I don't intend to toss mine around so I'm not overly concerned. The only truly disappointing thing about the palette is that the shadow names are only provided on a clear plastic piece, not printed on the palette. I want the shadow names, so I have to keep that piece of plastic, which is somewhat annoying.

The product itself is lovely. The shadows are all well pigmented and extremely soft. I love that when you open the palette you get the smell of chocolate. They also taste sweet too, which I discovered by accident.

The shadows are really, really blendable, and the colors work together in so many different combinations. The one thing I will say is that for a few of the darkest colors, it seems like they lose a little intensity within an hour or so of wear, so I would start a little darker than you want and it'll settle perfectly. Other than that, no creasing or fading. Note-I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance under every eye look.

Overall I would say I'm very pleased with this product. It's a lot of shadow for the price (and extra props to Too Faced of including larger pans of the highlight shades! Nothing is more annoying than having to lug around extra products because your palette is out of blending/highlighting shades). The smell is calming and makes me happy to use. I've finally found a palette worth keeping!!

on 3/8/2014 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Very pleased with this palette, the texture is lovely and creamy. Easy to work with and blend and they are pigmented. This is a warm palette which suites me well and is great for day or night looks. It smells like chocolate which i was a bit worried about but its actually quiet pleasing to smell. Definitely worth it for me.

on 4/11/2014 10:45:00 AM

At first, I was sucked in by the hype and thought I loved this palette. After all, who wouldn't like makeup that smells like chocolate? So creative. But my love affair ended after one use. The shadows are poor quality--chalky consistency and lots of fallout, and some of the colors aren't really wearable. If you want a comparably priced palette and don't have to have one that is chocolate scented, the Kat Von D Monarch palette is worlds better.

I have been eying this for some time. I finally bought it last weekend with the encouragement of a friend. I love it. The smell of chocolate is so soothing. I use UD lid primer underneath and have been using this with my Naked Basics and UD Ammo pallette. It is great on its own as well. I am fairly new to the eyeshadow obsession, and this makes me happy every time I use it. There is no fall-out either which is great. The shimmer is very slight on some, and it stays put all day. I used to put eyeshadow on quickly every day. Before I used primer, I found it would be gone by noon. So if you are having trouble with staying power...try eye primer!

on 5/20/2014 10:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this palette and the packing is adorable. I have always like too faced shadows because they are so soft and easy to blend even if they are a bit powdery. Great colors in this palette, just wish it had more mattes.

on 5/24/2014 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

So completely love this palette! I have had it for a month now and just finally got around to using it. I love it! The shadows are all so natural looking in a wonderful kind of way. I usually do not go for such natural colors but these are amazing. The shadows go on so smoothly and evenly, and I love the chocolate aroma. The smell does not last very long but it is soothing to my senses as I apply my makeup. The array of colors in this selection are arranged in a well planned method. This is for sure going to be one of my palettes that I reach for daily for some time to come. The case is different to say the least but I still like it. I like that it is metal although the design of a chocolate bar is a bit cheesy IMO. The price for this palette may seem a bit high at first but there are so many different shades and so many different ways of using the shades that it makes the price more reasonable. Some of the colors can be used for cheek highlighters as well as contouring if one is into that kind of application. Me, I just love the colors, the smell, and the quality!

A must-have palette!
Although expensive (the retail price is 45 pounds in the UK!), it's absolutely worth it.
It has great nudes and has some lovely colors for getting a bit more creative. There is hardly any fallout and the color payoff is great.
The palette is (obviously) chocolate themed and the eyeshadows smell incredible.
Plus the packaging is sturdy and great for travel.
You can be free to take only this palette on your vacation.
You'll love this palette as much as I do, I recommend it 100%

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I held off of buying this palette for quite a while purely because I feel I have too many palettes, let alone adding another neutral one to my collection. But while I was out shopping a few weeks ago I saw this one, it was the last on the shelf and I felt compelled to buy it; as per usual.
First of all, I think Too Faced have really upped their game in terms of their palettes. The boxed ones they have pale in comparison to the 'A Few of my Favourite Things' palette and this Chocolate bar one. Probably because they are trying to compete with Urban Decay and the Naked collection.
Anyway, the packaging of the Chocolate Bar palette is gorgeous, I bought the one in the new slimmer packaging, so its lightweight, slim and easy for travelling. The case looks like a chocolate bar, and inside you get sixteen matte and shimmer shadows, which I think is a really good deal considering the Naked palettes only have twelve. Also, I'm not generally a fan of scented make up, but as soon as I opened it I could smell chocolate. Its definitely not overwhelming though, and didn't seem to irritate my sensitive skin.
Onto the colours themselves. I am pretty much in love with all sixteen, as they are all gorgeous and unique neutrals with some purples, pinks & maroon shades in there too. The shades are as follows:
. Gilded Ganache- This is a warm chocolate brown shade with gold & bronze shimmer running through it
. White Chocolate- A matte pale beige shade, buttery and smooth to apply. Very similar to shades such as Spotlight from the Natural at Night palette & Heaven from the Daytime Natural eye palette.
. Milk Chocolate- This shade is a muted warm toned brown with a matte finish, I love using it as a blending out colour in the crease, it creates lovely definition and blends out really easily
. Black Forest Truffle- A maroon slightly wine coloured base with gorgeous gold micro glitter. Do not be too concerned about the glitter, its not chunky and does not give masses of fallout, and it is a truly stunning shade
. Triple Fudge- This shade is a matte dark brown; it is very similar to 'Dark Chocolate' from the AFOMFT palette. Very good for deepening the outer v or creating smoky looks
. Salted Caramel- A warm muted orangey brown matte shade, possibly one of my lesser used shades from the palette as I'm not a fan of orange tones on my fair skin, but still, its buttery smooth, blendable and good for a crease colour
. Marizpan- This is one of my favourite shades of the entire palette, its a peachy shades, with a hint of maybe a salmon pink in there somewhere, its quite frosted so it gives quite a metallic finish. Its truly gorgeous as an all over the lid shade. In loooove
. Semi Sweet- A medium matte brown shade with reddish undertones that once again is good in the crease or outer v for those who like to create more natural eye looks
. Strawberry Bon Bon- This is a cool toned baby pink shade. I hate it when palettes have these baby pinks because I must admit I don't get a lot of use out of baby pink. I have used it in a couple of looks, and like the other matte shades in the palette is gorgeous and smooth easy to blend, but its not really my thing
. Candied Violet- I am really into my purples lately, and this shade makes me want to make more purple looks. Its a violet shimmer shade, quite cool toned with pink, purple & a tiny bit of greeny blue micro shimmer. Its got a bit of a dark navy in there too. Its another one of those shades where you should not fear the tiny glitter particles, there is not loads of fallout
. Amaretto- Named after one of my favourite alcoholic beverages, Amaretto is another red toned medium brown but this one has a gorgeous gold sheen to it. Its quite frosted like Marzipan, so the two shades can blend quite well together
. Hazelnut- A golden frosted bronze brown shade, it has really good pigmentation and is yet another shade perfect for doing a traditional neutral smoky eye
. Crème Brulée- I think every neutral palette has to have a gold shade in there somewhere, and this palette is no exception. This is quite an interesting dark gold shade though, as its got some pinky undertones going on there, possibly they've taken some inspiration from Trick in the Naked 3 palette because it looks a little bit like a rose gold shade
. Haute Chocolate- Another warm reddish brown shimmer shade, its quite muted and has a frosty finish that allows for some truly amazing colour payoff
. Cherry Cordial- I think red undertones should be hailed as the main inspiration of the palette, because here is another! This shade is a slightly more plum red shade however, with a matte base colour being given a golden shimmery sparkle. It reminds me a lot of Soirée from the AFOMFT palette, but Soirée is a touch darker
. Champagne Truffle- Last but by no means least, is Champagne Truffle, the highlight shade of life. Seriously its gorgeous! Its a bright white base shade mixed with a shimmery pale pink with a little bit of gold sheen and it is PERFECTION under the brow bone, I do not say that lightly. You could also use this as an all over the lid shade because its quite brightening, or even as a highlight shade for the face, its very multi purpose.

Ok, so apologies that this has gone on forever but there is a lot to be said about this palette. I think it is one of my most used neutral palettes and I'm so pleased that I own it. Its pretty pricey at £45, but in my opinion for sixteen shades its pretty fair. My favourite shades have to be Black Forest Truffle, Candied Violet, Marzipan and Champagne Truffle. If you love neutral eyes and are in the market for a palette, go get this!