Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.4

When I first saw this product I knew I had to have it. The chocolate theme and the coco-powder smell was just too irresistible.
I was so excited to finally get my hands on one, but I was very disappointed by the packaging quality.
The tin box itself is very thin and vulnerable to dents (there was already a dent on mine before I purchased it!) In addition, the magnetic closure on the lid itself was very weak and the lid easily flings open. The lid gives in when you press on it, making the box feel very cheap. For a moment I thought perhaps it was just that one palette itself, so I asked the sales person to get me another palette from storage. It was just as flimsy as the first, if not worse.
I was expecting a sleek, sturdy palette ( with the feel and dimensions of a Hershey Bar). However much I love the cuteness of this palette, I do NOT feel safe traveling with it.
For such price (50$), I expect better quality packaging. I will go to another store again and make sure that it isn't just my palette came from a bad bulk/package. I really do love the smell, colors, and quality of the eye shadows. I recommend this to people who like collecting eye shadows, but not to people who need a versatile palette for everyday use.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I know I say this a lot, but my goodness do I love this palette. My heart skipped a beat when I first saw it and bought it ASAP when sephora released it. The colors are so so so buttery and opaque.
It comes housed in an adorable chocolate bar inspired tin. The packaging, while cute...leaves much to be desired. It does not close/lock securely. It actually had a plastic insert with the color names that is supposed to stay on top of the shadows, but it slides right out from inside the case. The first few times I opened it I got the delicious chocolate aroma, but it has since subsided.
The colors are a gorgeous mix of browns, golds and some pink/purple shades. There is a beautiful highlight color as well. The sparkly purple (candied violet) does take some effort to apply, but when done right, it's is superb. I absolutely love this palette! I thought that having all 3 UD Naked palettes would make owning this palette a non-necessity, but that is so not the case!! I can't imagine now owning it. It was a bit steep in price, but really, worth every penny.

I LOVE this palette. I couldn't stop thinking about it when I saw it! It may look a little gimmicky, but its not that way! Too Faced just went the extra mile and they get 5 stars on the cuteness factor. The the colors are one of a kind, also, I discovered. I was reluctant because of the price, but it is the same price as the Naked palettes. I was also reluctant because I thought it looked similar to my Naked palette. Only a couple look similar. There are a lot of reddish tones in with the browns which I love.

Color: Color pay-off is absolutely wonderful! All the colors are so pretty. I paired Strawberry bon bon with cherry cordial and oh wow, I love this feminine pink color with this beautiful burgundy.

Price: The price is steep, but the quality of the makeup itself is 5/5.

Packaging: Its REALLY cute, but the tin is a little flimsy, and some of the shadows are a tad chalky. and $49.... Thats why I gave this 4 out of 5 stars.

BUT I LOVE THIS OVERALL!!!!

I am absolutely in love with this palette! I love the color pay off of these eyeshadows. I thought at first that this palette was going to be a let down but I gave it a try and I am so impressed. If your debating whether to get the Urban Decay Naked 3 palette or this one, I would definitely go with this one just because I feel like theres a nice variation of lighter and darker shades. Once you open this palette it smells alot like chocolate but after a while the smell settles down a bit, it doesnt bother me at all. The only thing that I didnt like was the plastic film with the eyeshadow names on it. The film has fell off a couple of times when I have opened the palette. Other than that I have no complaints. I say go for this palette and I promise you you'll fall in love!

on 1/22/2014 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I was looking for a good neutral palette and really eyeing Naked 2. I was sure that would be the one. I saw others that were 'nice', but either too small (less shadows but close in price to make it more worth it to buy the larger ones) or colors that were too similar/not interesting enough to me. I loved how smooth and high quality the Nakeds were, that there were some mattes in there and I didn't have any yet. However, I am more of a color girl, but wanted something more subtle, and the Nakeds were really nice but very along one or two color lines.

So when I saw this I was drawn in. It's neutral, many colors (16!) but not ONLY browns/taupes or coppers. I envisioned so many looks I could do, not only with this but in addition to all my other shadows. I liked that it had the larger base and highlight/brow bone colors that I could use with *any* look, I liked that there were many mattes of differing colors, I liked that there were shimmers that were greenish, reddish, brownish, light, dark and medium shades, etc. It seemed like a great buy for all those shades. Another cool thing I discovered was "Triple Fudge" as a liner color. I have never used a shadow as a liner but that seemed like the perfect color for it. *Update: I just started filling my brows (yesterday). I really don't need a lot since they are thick and dark, but I did use this as a brow powder and it's really fantastic for that too*

A few things that worried me were that the color payoff of a few shades. The Black Forest Truffle and Candied Violet (and cherry cordial a little bit as well) seemed to have some shimmer fall out. However, the color pay off turned out to be great with a primer, and the shimmers didn't even fall out as much when it was on as it had when I made a quick swatch. I would say Candied Violet is the exception though, that color is pretty but don't expect the glitter to stay on, it absolutely does not. Even with a great primer it's very weak applied (much lighter than it appears) but still pretty.

When I got the palette, I also noticed the packaging being a little cheaper/smudges on it than expected even though it is adorable. I agree about the magnet being weak. It's fine for my dresser and I even thought it was cool that it had a magnet in the first place, but I would not feel safe traveling with it either. I didn't realize the smell until I had mine, so it wasn't a selling point that made me want it, but I do love it now that I realize!

These colors are formulated in such a high quality way that they outshine my other shadows BY FAR. When I do a simple natural look with this, I feel bright and awake. It draws attention and light to your eyes and is such a confidence booster. My favorite so far is marzipan, I use it as a shadow and highlight sooo often. Triple Fudge, a great basic dark matte brown for deep creases, brows and liner. Salted Caramel, obvious and perfect transition though great on the lid too. The Strawberry Bon Bon is amazing. The bottom left 3 shimmer brows are perfect. And who doesn't love Champagne Truffle. I usually get drugstore shadows, but they often fall flat in matte colors where these mattes are not muddy or dull at all.

So overall, I'm super happy with the colors and the quality of this palette. I think I made the right choice for me. Though I'm generally a bargain buyer and don't usually buy something so expensive, it's very worth it price wise if you are the type to only buy a few palettes instead of individual shadows. I used a gift card to be able to get mine and I'm happy I got to treat myself to something so nice. Years later I can def still call this HG and something I'd actually plunk down full price for. And I never pay full price lol.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

This product is amazing! I have wanted it for so long. It is a bit pricy and I wasn't sure if the colors were too much like the naked pallets, but that is not the case! The only thing about this product is the thickness of the actual pallete. It is going to fill up a lot of room when traveling.. But worth it! all the colors are made with coca so it smells just like chocolate! But not in a gross way lol.. These eyeshadows have no fall out and a great color path! I highly recommend this product!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was torn between this palette and Naked 3, but once I saw the colours in Chocolate Bar, I was hooked. Also, Naked 3 is permanent so I can get it down the road, while Chocolate Bar is limited edition.

I know a lot of people complain about the packaging being flimsy. I don't find this to be the case. My complaint is that the names of the shadows aren't printed on the palette for reference. This annoys the heck out of me - is it really THAT much trouble to print the names on the edges of the pans, the way UD does with its palettes or Too Faced does with its 9-pan palettes? My other complaint is the SCENT. I'm not someone who is bothered by fragrance in makeup products but I know a lot of people are, and it seems plain old stupid to have scented/fragranced EYE SHADOWS - the one place you'd think they'd want to minimize scent (even if they want to keep that "chocolate" theme going) is in anything women use around their eyes. I'm surprised more reviewers haven't commented negatively about the scent since there are so many complaints, overall, about fragrance in cosmetic and skin care products on this site.

Still, having got those 2 complaints out of the way, I have to say that this is a truly terrific palette with a full range of matte and shimmer shadows as well as cool toned, neutral and warm tones. And there's also the beautiful Candied Violet, a lovely periwinkle blue/purple. There are only 3 suggested looks, but putting together your own combinations that are suitable for work or more dramatic, intense ones for evening won't be difficult with this versatile palette.

UPDATE: Solution for the issue of colour names on the palette - Staedtler's Lumocolour fine tipped markers are perfect for writing the names right on the palette. It doesn't smear, smudge or rub off. I've now done this on all my palettes without the shadow/product names on them.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this chocolate bar. I had one Too Faced "Sexy" palette before and I didn't like it at all. I tried all the colors at Sephora and decided to give this brand another try. I am glad I did. All the colors are very pigmented and beautiful, a very good pallete, there are shimmer colors, matt colors, very easy to work with. I think they are very thoughtful that they put two light shadows (the matt white one and the shimmer white one" with extra quantity, because I use both more often, almost every look, so, good job! It also has chocolate smell. I love chocolate, so I am very happy about it. For whom don't like chocolate smell, maybe won't be the pallete for you. I also uploaded some photos, hope would be helpful.

The only thing I don't like is the packaging. How to put this, for mine, it doesn't close/click properly, also I think the container can be thinner, would be easier to travel.

Am absolutely in love with the Too Faced chocolate bar eye shadows pallette. I only wish that the strawberry bon bon colour was a touch more pigmented which would then make this pallete perfect. The colours are smooth and blend so well together and the combination of looks is limitless. I also love the smell of chocolate

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I was sold once I learned the palette smelled like chocolate and looks like a chocolate bar. I love the shades which are highly pigmented and blend really well. I love that most shades are bold so I don't have to layer it on so much. I'm pleased with my purchase and looking forward to trying more products from this brand.