Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I have nearly purchased this palette time and time again. With it being half off at Ulta recently I finally purchased it. And I will be returning it. My overall impression, snore fest with mediocre shadows.
The packaging is a magnetic tin. The magnet is pretty weak so it doesn’t feel very secure. And the mirror inside rattles. It’s a very cute design and uses space well. I like that the names are printed by the shadows.
The formula for most of the shadows is so dry and dusty. They apply pretty smoothly and blend well but getting color pay off on some is a beast. The mattes are ok, a little dry and stiff and very hard packed but ok. I love salted Carmel, triple fudge, and white chocolate. Semi sweet, milk chocolate, and cherry cordial were ok. Strawberry Bon Bon didn’t have much color pay off, I had to really pack it on. The true shimmers are pretty nice too. I love marzipan and champagne truffle. Creme Brule and haute chocolate work well. But the satiny shimmers are terrible. They are dusty and super densely packed. You have to use them wet to get any color pay off so you really can’t use them in the crease. Gilded ganache, candied violet, hazelnut were the worst. I got amaretto to be quite pretty when foiled. Black Forest truffle is bad too. Over all there were about 5 shades I loved, 4 I was ok with, and 7 I disliked.
As for the colors of these shades, snore fest. This is the most uninspirering palette I have ever worked with. And that’s probably because 7 of the shades wouldn’t show up on my lids. I’m theory guided ganache, cherry cordial, and candied violet could be fun. But they all either had poor pigmentation and poor color saturation. Cherry cordial performs ok but it ends up looking washed out brown on the lid, not burgundy. Strawberry Bon Bon doesn’t show up. I cannot get candied violet or gilded ganache to look like anything on the lid. It’s a patchy, faded, colorless mess. If I kept this palette I would use about 5 shades which are all easily duped in my collection and that it. Those five shades are quite good but I just don’t want this palette taking up space in my collection for that. I remember watching someone try to pan this palette on YouTube and I just remember how frustrated she was and how much she hated it. And I recently also watched a one month one palette with it and she got very bored of it. I can see why both of those ladies struggled. It’s going back as soon as I’m by an Ulta.

I bought this at Ulta during their 21 Days of Beauty sale. I’ve been quite impressed with the quality of the shadows, however, the colors show up very muddy and don’t blend well at all. I ended up giving this palette to my coworker since she loves Too Faced. Not to mention, I ended up having a bad reaction to the scent.

Smells delicious, colors look nice and are pretty long lasting. Pans are very shallow I went through my favorite color pink sugar in no time at all. Reason for poor rating is the darker colors don't seem to blend well on the skin and end up looking dirty. Also there is a lot of fall-out and I mean a lot. Another thing is I think there's something in the formula that irritates my eyes, maybe it's the scent. Other than that the packaging and colors are great and I do like the idea of a scented product but maybe just not for the eye area.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Okay so I bought this palette because I fell in love with the Sweet Peach palette and I enjoy it a lot but not as much OVERALL as I do the SP. Packaging is cute and great even though it isn't practical but that's already been mentioned a billion times so I'll spare you. So I mentioned I would repurchase it but only for the shades Milk Chocolate, Semi Sweet, Salted Caramel, Triple Fudge and White Chocolate. Basically all the mattes lol. And of course Haute Chocolate and Creme Brulee. Not feeling Hazelnut. It's different somehow. The rest aren't really that special or wowing to me. They are pretty. But they don't CALL to me..ya know? I dug Candied Violet and Strawberry Bon Bon out with a nail file because those shades were MAJORLY throwing me off! I had to get them out so I could see the palette more clearly. Really changes the way you look at it if you remove those 2 shades. I personally like it better this way and it's easier to get inspired from it somehow too. But yeah. I do love this palette and literally use it everyday and use Milk Chocolate and Semi Sweet with every look just about. But I do wish that TF would put out a palette with a ton of the matte shades from the chocolate bar/sweet peach lines all in one. It's not even that mattes are my favorite type of eyeshadows. It's just that TF has a bomb matte formula. At least from what I can see of the CB and SP. I say it is definitely worth buying. Price is high but mines lasted me over a year now and I still haven't hit pan on any shades! I do only use 3 shadows generally for each look though so that could be why. But yeah I'd say buy it for sure.

on 5/31/2018 12:20:00 PM

Colors are wearable, warm neutrals and for the price there is a decent amount of product and shade selection. Unfortunately *I* am allergic to this shadow. Understandably ymmv but I don't know why fragrance (as in parfum/artificial) is added to an eye product when the eyes are so sensitive and eyelid skin is so thin and delicate. TF has revamped their line where basically ALL of their shadows are now artificially scented and now they're basically dead to me as a brand bc of this. Even the 9 pans are revamped now w added fragrance. I feel like they isolated a huge market that wants their makeup to just be high performing makeup, not a kitschy looking collectors piece that smells like ice cream.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Just purchased this week and was disappointed to note that the chocolate scent is faint as ever.

This really is a brown-lover's palette. So many variations of brown shades. It's not a bad thing if you like that. I love that they have large pans for the all over lid shades. Quality is good! Candied Violet sucks but I didn't buy the palette for that shade anyways. I think it's a good neutral palette, great for beginners or those who really suck at makeup haha.

on 7/26/2017 1:24:00 AM

This was the palette that introduced me to high end makeup. I remember looking everywhere for an eye-shadow palette that had great colours with excellent pigmentation and performance. This palette ticked all the boxes. I have bought drugstore eye-shadows before to much dismay, as they looked great in the pan but were bland on the eyes. This palette was and continues to be my favourite eye-shadow palette and formula. Whenever I wear this it always gives me beautiful looks. I can do darker more sultry styles and Light everyday work makeup.

The shadows are creamy and soft without kickback or fall out. I love the shades and the pigment is as beautiful on the lid as in the pan. The shadows last all day with my Elf eye-shadow primer and they never look muddy. I love the smell and enjoy applying eye-shadow because of this palette. I will definitely always have this palette and can happily say I own other palettes like the semi sweet and peach because I love the line.

on 5/29/2017 7:21:00 AM

I was excited about these palettes when I first got them in my hands, but the more I try to use them, the less I care. Chocolate Bar in particular i find lacks quality for the price ($59CAN). Ill still use it, the shadows are workable but I dont find they make a great impact. Im very light NC20 or lighter, I use es primer and a lot of the shades need to be packed on to show up, and they're quite lackluster. The browns are decent for definition. Regardless, they can still work well for every day use, but out of all these palettes, Bonbons performed the best. I adore the packaging and the smell though.

EDIT: after trying this again after some time, something changed. Perhaps my expectations were different at the time I wrote the review. Ive been really enjoying this palette lately and all the colours seem to work fanatically. The shadows are not what I'd call buttery soft and they are really pressed in, but I've been enjoying every single look I've gotten out of it since I picked it up again. Cherry Cordal has been a staple and I'm loving Strawberry Bonbon as a transition/blending shade. I also realized that Champagne Truffle makes a fantastic subtle champagne highlight on my cheekbones. I'm getting a ton of use out of this now!

I actually really love this palette! The packaging I hate to be honest but I don't let that affect my rating too much because I use this a lot. The purple color isn't the best. Probably the worst out of the palette not gonna lie but the rest are really great! Excluding the purple they are very pigmented and smell of cocoa! As my second too faced palette, I could not have chosen a better one.

on 5/1/2017 4:13:00 AM

I don't get this. I don't get the hype. This palette is so boring to me. Not enough warm tones, they all look similar. The browns are nothing special. The purples are hopeless to work with, the olive green colour shows up as a brown on the eyes, marzipan doesn't even show up properly on my lids and that was the colour I was looking forward to the most. Just such a boring palette. Not worth the money