Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

on 10/18/2017 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I bought it because I've wanted it forever. I tried to swatch all the colors and a lot of them swatch bad (chalky and bad pigmentation) even if I use a base. I am just disappointed. I also have makeup geek eyeshadows (my first high end purchase) which swatch and apply beautifully. It took me buying this to realize how good they are.

on 9/26/2017 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The selection of mostly brown shadows presented in a tin shaped like a Hershey bar was a stroke of genius – this is a top seller that spawned sequels: Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar, Chocolate Bon Bons, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Peanut Butter & Honey, and the Sweet Peach palette.

I didn’t hop on the bandwagon right away so I ended up buying the second generation of the original Chocolate Bar palette. The colors are the same but the packaging is slimmer and the names are printed above the pans. The first run was in a bulkier tin and the names were printed on an easy-to-lose plastic insert. It still comes with a little pamphlet that includes diagrams of three eye designs.

Performance:

Too Faced recommends using their Shadow Insurance eye primer as a base. If you already own a tube of something similar such as Urban Decay’s Primer Potion or MAC’s Prep + Prime eye base, you can procrastinate buying their primer, but it does help the shadows last longer without losing intensity. In lieu of eye primer I’ve been able to use Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick in Vanilla Kiss with good results. The texture of the Caviar Stick is ever-so-slightly tacky so powders cling to it.

Some of the shadows have better pigmentation than others. Most of them blend nicely with good brushes. I like to use the Wayne Goss eye brushes, but MAC 221 and Laura Mercier’s Ponytail brush are also great for the crease. Charlotte Tilbury’s Eye Blender and MAC 217 are blending brushes I reach for often. Tilbury’s smudge brush is good for running color along the lower lashline.

Colors:

My favorite mattes in this palette are:

White Chocolate: This is a cream colored base shade. I’m glad they made this pan larger because I include this highlight color every time I use Chocolate Bar.

Salted Caramel: This peachy tan goes on smoothly and it’s a wonderful transition shade. You can apply the darker colors over it and they never look muddy. I will probably hit pan on this one first.

Milk Chocolate: Another warm beige but less peachy than Salted Caramel, another good transition color.

Semi-Sweet: Great matte brown crease color - I rely on this one a lot, along with Hazelnut.

Triple Fudge: Fudge is rich and dark but surprisingly easy to blend with soft brushes.

I also like Cherry Cordial, a burgundy which is a nice change from some of the more predictable browns, and Strawberry Bon Bon, a cool pink that is easy to work with.

My favorite shimmers are:

Gilded Ganache – this looks olive in the pan but easily blends with the browns and doesn’t look crazy green on the eyes.

Crème Brulee – a gorgeous antique gold with great pigmentation.

Haute Chocolate – a shimmery brown, similar in depth to Hazelnut.

Marzipan – a pale peachy beige shimmer.

Champagne Truffle - a shimmery base shade.

I usually love purple, so I’m surprised that my least favorite shades in this palette are Candied Violet and Black Forest Truffle. Both are smoky, greyish and metallic. There are more vibrant purples in the Peanut Butter & Jelly palette. Amaretto looks promising in the pan but I have to work to build it up.

Fallout:

These are soft powders and when you pack them on you are bound to get a light dusting of cocoa-colored shadow on the cheekbones. Tapping the excess off your brush before applying color to the lids reduces the amount of fallout, but even so I frequently find myself tidying up afterward. So when I’m working with this palette I actually prefer to do my eye makeup first and my foundation afterward. I've noticed that Charlotte Tilbury's shadows are neater, less dusty. Even the Too Faced Peanut Butter palettes seem to generate less fallout than Chocolate Bar.

The Fragrance:

These powders smell like chocolate. I bought this for the colors and usually prefer fragrance free shadow. However, the scent doesn't bother me. I enjoy Chocolate Bar and I use it a lot.

The Verdict:

The adorable packaging and step-by-step instructions make this an irresistible gift for teens. It’s a nice range of neutrals that doesn’t put you to sleep.

I’ve been especially pleased with the wear of these shades: Crème Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Triple Fudge, Semi-Sweet, Salted Caramel, White Chocolate, Hazelnut, Marzipan, and Gilded Ganache when packed on for a smoky eye.

Although I trust the magnetic closure at home I prefer something that clicks shut to go in my suitcase. When I pack for trips I’m more likely to grab Too Faced’s smaller nine-pan tins.

The mid-range prices of Too Faced are easier to afford than brands like Tom Ford, whose quads are $85 each. If you’re interested in this palette, look for sales on the Too Faced website as well as Ulta, Sephora, and Macy’s. The retail price of Chocolate Bar is $49 but I bought mine during a promotion for $39.

I liked Chocolate Bar enough that I went on to purchase the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar, both of the Peanut Butter nine-pan tins, Just Peachy Mattes, and Kandee Johnson’s Candy Eyes. I don't think Chocolate Bar is a perfect palette (hence the 4 out of 5 rating) but it's certainly a good one and I reach for it often.

on 4/10/2017 11:59:00 AM

I got this palette over a half a year ago and I've loved it since day one. The chocolate bar palette is an incredibly popular palette for a reason. The shades are super blendable which makes it beginner-friendly too, there's the neutrals, the fun colors and the darkest color, "triple fudge", which proves that you don't always need black in the outer corner to make a stunning, dimensional eye look. Most shades I absolutely adore, such as salted caramel, marzipan, milk chocolate, semi sweet and champagne truffle. The neutrals aren't boring and they're very unique. There are amazing transitional shades and really pretty shimmers. Candied violet and strawberry bon bon are fun shades to play around with. This is my go-to palette when I'm travelling for example, it's so versatile. The smell is addicting, and recently, for example, my friend confessed to have been sniffing my palette while we were sharing a hotel room and I was having a shower, which I totally relate to. I'm so happy I made this purchase because I've learned so much through it and pretty much all of my favorite eye looks I've made with this palette!

on 2/28/2017 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

My everyday eyeshadow palette, I have a large collection of eyeshadow palettes and I literally use this every day for work and most of the time for going out on weekends - only reach for another if i need a pop of colour or I'm experimenting. The smell is amazing and I adore the packaging. The shadows blend out easily and have great pigment, all except the light pink shade which i find absolutely useless.

on 12/14/2016 8:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I love this palette. It has the perfect balance of matte and shimmery shades, and it is versatile enough for both day and evening makeup looks. I use this palette everyday, either on its own or together with my favourite Mac eyeshadows. Most of the colours in the palette are absolutely gorgeous, buttery, pigmented and beautiful. Few, however, are not the greatest.

The amazing ones; Marzipan, Salted Caramel, Hazelnut, Creme brulee and Champagne Truffle blend like a buttery dream, and are highly pigmented.

The loser of the palette; Strawberry Bon Bon is just disappointing. Its like the ugly cousin of the other colours. It is not pigmented at all and no matter how much I layer it, I only manage to get the lightest hint of colour. The other disappointing one is the Cherry Cordial. When I saw it, I was hoping for an intense reddish brown that could be used for an evening makeup. Instead, Cherry Cordial is so lowly pigmented that I can use it for a day look.

Still, I absolutely love this palette, use it everyday, and would recommend it to everyone.

*Edited: I recently bought the Chocolate Bon Bons palette, and actually prefer it over the chocolate palette. If you are extremely pale, and have cool colouring, I would recommend that you check that one out. I still love the chocolate one but find that the colours in the Bon Bons palette suit me much better.

I did give this 5 stars, but that's pretty much because if I was gonna own any piece of makeup that speaks to me, it would be this one. BUT with that being said, I wasn't like- Holy crap! This is the best eyeshadow I've ever used! I have indeed used drugstore eyeshadow that performed just as well. But, the product itself is one of a kind (other than the dupe that's out). I have blue eyes, and this is really pretty, but I wish I had purchased the semi sweet. I will eventually purchase it, and if I like it, that will be the one I repurchase. If you can find this on sale or have a birthday coming up, I would recommend it. But if you think you "have" to have it for $49, I PERSONALLY don't think it is worth the splurge. But that is just my opinion.

on 5/18/2016 9:51:00 AM

These go on nicely for the most part, except for the purple/maroon shades. I love the peachy-gold (marizipan), matte orange-y brown (salted caramel), and straight gold (creme brulee), they are beautiful and go on smoothly. Champagne truffle is a nice if easily dupeable highlight. But other than that, these colors look extremely similar on my eyes. So many shades of brown that all look the same on my lid. Hazelnut and Amaretto were particularly disappointing, both looked like browns that were more than average shimmery browns. But nope, looked exactly identical on my eyes. Again, the purples are different, but all of those are chunky and lack pigment. It is difficult to achieve different eye looks, so for me, it is not a particularly great palette.

I have used this but only one I do not personally own I love the bonbon is a must have for me so had to have that and semi sweet also but Def want this one next I used it and smell is like semi sweet both gorgeous they all are amazing little high priced but u do get lots of colors that are all good not boring .if u have wanted it Def order it

on 5/3/2016 7:38:00 PM

I don't normally give a 5 "lipstick review" lol but the reason I did was because I would DEFINITELY recommend this over a Naked palette any day. If you are looking for your first neutral high end palette I would definitely recommend one of the chocolate bar palettes or even the Lorac Pro over the UD Nakeds. The reason being is this palette is so versatile and will compliment just about any skin tone. You get a good balance of both matte and shimmer shades and it's very easy to get a full look using this one palette alone. I would rank this as very superior in quality compared to a Naked palette with nearly every shade being very pigmented, easy to blend, and with minimal fall-out. The only shade I don't like would be strawberry bon bon but that's just my personal preference. The shades when applied to the lids will last all day and for hours on end with a good primer. Not to mention the packaging and the smell of chocolate is divine. If you are new to high-end makeup and in the market for a good neutral palette I would HIGHLY recommend!

out of this, the Naked 2,or the Chocolate bon bon. THIS one is my fav. I have used every single one, they blend amazingly well, they are soft, pigmented, smell SO SO good. The shadow last really well. I'm a cool toned PALE PALE PALE girl and yet every single one of these colours look beautiful and I am by no means a professional. Let's be real here, I'm still learning to makeup ;) I use this every day. I will NEVA BE WITHOUT