Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.2

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Every time you open the palette, you smell a faint cocoa powder smell, which is super nice. Even after having it for months, it still smells delicious. This palette is a little over-priced, but to me the entire brand is overpriced. They do have some of the cutest packaging I've ever seen in the make-up world. And the products and packaging are definitely high quality so it pretty much makes it worth it. Unfortunately the lid on mine broke off from the hinge a couple of weeks ago. I'm not even sure how it happened.

The browns, golds, greens, and reds are awesome. I only wish there were more shades of Green, for example. I think this palette could have done without the pink and purple shades, they just seem out of place, to me and I use them the least. Especially in conjunction with the rest of the palette.

Candied Violet definitely seems out of place in this palette. At least, I haven't found much use for it. Maybe it's because it's such a random cool color in a mostly warm palette. I prefer warm colors in general but this shadow is also very sheer and I can't seem to build it up or apply it in a way that looks nice.

Strawberry Bon Bon also is a little outof place but luckily it applies pretty pale so I can use it as a base color. Although I already have White Chocolate for that. I just don't get the pink/purple shades in this. However, Champagne Truffle is a gorgeous inner-corner highlight color, and I even use it as a cheek highlight, sometimes.

Marzipan is my favorite shade for all over the lid. It gives you a beautiful warm, shimmery tan color, which is perfect for the lid with a brown shade (such as Milk Chocolate) in the crease. This is one of my go-to casual looks (along with White Chocolate as a base). When I don't want to spend too much time on shadow/don't want anything dramatic.

Creme Brulee is another favorite because I absolutely love gold (and I wish there were more gold colors in this) and I often pair it with Hazelnut and Semi-sweet. Gilded Ganache and Black Forest Truffle are perfect for dramatic smokey eye looks. Like I said, I wish there were more greenish browns... but I guess that wouldn't be very "chocolate-y" (although neither is purple).

Cherry Cordial goes great with Amaretto for that burgundy shadow look. Thankfully I can actually pull it off without looking sick, like some do, so it's become one of my favorite eye looks. I wish there were more brownish reds.

I've had this palette for around a year and there is still plenty of shadow left in the pans. Probably because it's not my only palette. I would like to think I will repurchase this when it runs out. Although I've recently been turned on to Colourpop shadows and am completely in love with their Super Shock Shadows (their powder formula, not so much). And I like the idea of buying individual shadows & really wish Too Faced offered individual shadows (especially Triple Fudge because it's become my go-to eyebrow and liner shade & I've used it the most). But I suppose this palette has enough wearable shadows that I sure wouldn't mind having it around if I had the cash.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

The packaging feels very substantial, and it has a magnetic closure and a large mirror inside. The colors are all very wearable, and blend easily. The only thing I don't like is the fallout, especially with the glitter shades. After a couple hours, I am wearing more glitter under my eye than on it. The chocolate smell is crazy strong at first, and while it does subside, it's definitely still there.

on 10/23/2016 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I had been lusting after this palette like forever and now I feel slightly let down. Sure, the packaging is terribly cute and the scent is divine. The mix of earthy and purple colors looks right up my alley but in reality isn't as versatile as I hoped.

First of all you do need to use a primer. And no, TFSI isn't enough so I use creamy ones like Paintpots or Color Tatoos to provide a more substantial base.

White Chocolate looks very similar to my favourite highlighter - Blanc Type by MAC. I was very excited to have a big pan of this color but pigmentation is laughable in comparison. Same with Strawberry Bon Bon. Champagne Truffle is pretty but I'd use such light and shimmery color only on the tear duct (not a fan of shimmery browbone highlighters here) Consequently I have to opt for another matte highlighter anyway and that takes some versatility points off.

Gilded Ganache needs a darker cream base or wet application or else it comes off as light shimmery gray instead of earthy golden green. Black Forest Truffle and Candied Violet have the same issue but look stunning applied wet! Especially the pink-blue sparkles in Candied Violet really show this way. That look makes quite a statement though so I don't use them for daytime although they are beautiful.

Amaretto, Cherry Cordial and Triple Fudge are really nice for darkening the outer corner but that's just a nice accent, not what makes a look.

Milk Chocolate, Semi-Sweet and Salted Caramel have good pigmentation. You can trust on them to find a suitable matte earthy crease color anytime so thumbs up!

Marzipan and Creme Brulee are the two I use on the lids for daytime on my fair skin, Hazelnut and Haute Chocolate can be used the same way but the overall effect will be deeper. That said if you're fair like me and don't opt for smokey looks each day you have basically only two lid colors left - more versatility points off.

Another issue I have is that they mostly need to be packed for the colors to show up true to the pan - here a 239 brush comes very handy - and since quite a few shades are close in terms of hue and depth when blended the result can be too homogenous. Still, all the looks I've created with this palette have turned out beautiful (the golden, purple and reddish undertones really compliment green eyes) but the effect is almost always on the hazy side. If you're a fan of smokey eyes you'll enjoy this palette a lot but if you're after crisp, vivid eyeshadow looks you'll find this palette hard to provide that.

To be fair though they stay put all day, fallout is minimal, shimmer/small glitter is tastefully done and haven't experienced any creasing.

In a nutshell Chocolate Bar is still a nice palette in my book and don't regret purchasing it but some shades are underwhelming and I find that it works better in conjunction with other eyeshadows than as a stand-alone palette for me.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My current favorite palettes of the moment are this and Chocolate Bon Bons, which has some similar shades but overall they are a different experience, and this Chocolate Bar runs more brown.
The colors in this palette are GORGEOUS, pigmented, smooth, so on and so forth. The mattes and the shimmers are both creamy and long-wearing. Before these palettes, I would occasionally run into a not-so-pigmented shade or two in my Too Faced palettes, but they've really perfected their craft and these palettes are worth every penny, and then some.
There are two browbone shades in larger pans, White Chocolate (pale cream matte shade), and Champagne Truffle, a shimmery pale icy pink. Both are beautiful but I prefer a shimmer on my browbone, so I mostly use Champagne Truffle for that and White Chocolate on the lid as a base color.
Salted Caramel and Milk Chocolate are perfect medium-toned matte transition colors; the former being warm terra cotta colored, the latter a cooler brown. Both blend very well and get a lot of use in my day-to-day makeup looks. There is also a darker matte shade, Semi-Sweet, great for corners when rounding out a matte eye look.
A nice strawberry-milk colored pink (Strawberry Bon Bon), two shimmery pale and medium golds (Marzipan and Creme Brûlée), some warmer red toned (Amaretto and Cherry Cordial- the latter being my favorite dark shade), and some other dark shimmers (Hazelnut, Black Truffle, Haute Chocolate, Black Forest Truffle, Triple Fudge, Candied Violet- indigo blue/purple, and Gilded Ganache- gold/green) complete the assortment. There is a favorite color or two here for everyone; I have a hard time choosing, but Champagne Truffle, Marzipan, Salted Caramel and Cherry Cordial are some stand outs so far.
These colors are great for creating a multitude of both matte and shimmery looks, but generally I like to mix them and really throw in as many colors as I can to make everything blend really seamlessly. It is not a loud, in-your-face color selection but then again those kinds of palettes never really call my name or look right on me, even if they're good quality shadows. This is a palette for the everyday woman who prefers natural, romantic or softer smoky eyes for day or night.
The packaging really is adorable and looks great displayed. It smells divine. I've said it before and I'll say it again- Too Faced's packaging might be what drew me in, but the quality is what keeps me buying, and now I will be a fan for life.
The price ($49) is obviously higher than your run-of-the-mill drugstore palette, but those aren't offering the quantity and (generally) quality of the eyeshadows presented here, nor the unique packaging. IMO, it is worth every dollar and I hope they never discontinue this because I need it in my life!

on 6/10/2016 7:42:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Contains amazing shades which you can do multiple looks from. Smells like chocolate and the packaging is beautiful.

on 5/16/2016 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Love this palette. Marzipan and salted caramel are life! I always reach for this palette because the shadows are so soft and buttery. But also because you can make so many looks. I'm not big on dark smokey eyes and was worried I wouldn't be able to get the most out of this palette but, I can make endless amount of looks without them being super dark. I use almost every colour, except for the violet and the pink. Those colours are kind of waste in my opinion. But if there are only 2 colours in a pallet you don't like then you know it's a winner. It's rare to find a big palette where you absolutely love all the colours. But this one is pretty darn great!!

on 4/14/2016 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

If I could give this palette a 3.5, I would. Let's break this down into categories:

Cost
The Chocolate Bar comes in at $49, pretty average for a large, mid-range palette. There are 16 shades, 2 of them being extra large. I love that they make the light, matte shade one of the larger pans as I tend to go through those colors the fastest. The packaging is sturdy and comes with a decent mirror. The magnet is strong enough I don't worry about it opening up if I take this when I travel. I know the cute packaging is a major selling point for some people, and it is aesthetically pleasing. I think this is a great price for a versatile palette,especially if the colors all appeal to you.

Shade Selection
Now, color preference is very individual so this might be a bit biased. This palette has a slightly confusing color selection to me. A lot of the lid shades & mattes are more on the warm side, but the pops of color are all fairly cool. While making a basic look is very easy using this palette, it becomes a bit tricky when trying to incorporate the pops of color. The colorful shades are all on the deep side as well. When you use them on the lid they get a bit hard to distinguish from a regular brown/ neutral (Candied Violet sheers out to nothing, Gilded Ganache just looks brown, and Black Forest Truffle is a glitter bomb). However, the basics are definitely here and give a good foundation for creating a decent amount of looks.

Formula
Speaking of the basics, that is definitely where the formula shines. The best formula comes from White Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Marzipan, Creme Brûlée, Milk Chocolate, Semi Sweet, and Champagne Truffle. The mattes aren't so insanely pigmented and powdery that they become hard to control or unruly, and they blend pretty nicely. The light colored shimmers definitely have the best formula- they are buttery smooth and have excellent color payoff with your finger of a brush. Hazelnut, Haute Chocolate, and Cherry Cordial have average formulas and look just fine on the lid. Triple Fudge has a very hard texture and is difficult to blend, Amaretto sheers out a lot and is hard to get color payoff with a brush, and my issues with the rest were discussed earlier. It is disappointing to see such texture/ quality differences within a single palette.

Overview
Overall, I think this is a decent choice for someone who wants to buy their first mid-range eyeshadow palette. There is a large selection of shades with the basic building blocks for a good variety of looks. However, with 16 shades available, I definitely feel as though some of the shades tend to look similar, if not identical on the lid. The texture of the shadows is, as a whole, good and easy to work with with some standout shades (Marzipan and Creme Brûlée) and some absolutely horrible shades (Black Forest Truffle, Candied Violet, Triple Fudge). However, if you are looking for a palette where you will use all of the shades, I don't think this is the best option. Instead, I would suggest one of Too Faced's 9-pan palettes. They tend to incorporate more unique shades into those palettes and they cost less. Plus, when was the last time you went through an entire palette? Unless you have no other palettes, there's no need for such a large one with so many similar shades. Be cautious if you don't like strong smells- the scent is very strong and can get sickening if the palette is open for long periods of time.

on 3/13/2016 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is one of my most frequently used palettes. I also purchased the Semi-Sweet palette but I would definitely recommend this one over the two. The shadows are pigmented, smooth, blend easily and last well on the lids. The Marzipan shade is my favourite inner corner highlight shade, such a flattering colour for green eyes and really makes them pop. Salted caramel is another winner, a beautiful warm orangey brown and the two matte browns are great. The one negative for me would be the packaging - I don't find it to be travel friendly, the lid doesn't stay up like the Tarte palettes and the mirror is quite small.

on 3/6/2016 9:13:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I feel a little duped by this product. What I love the most is that the shadows are so easy to blend. Even the darkest ones in the palette blend like a dream. I felt like a makeup artist. But that's where it ended. Within an hour the darkest shades are lighter than when I applied them. I used this with a Mac paint pot under, my daughter used it with the too faced shadow insurance. Our eyes looked exactly the same by the end of the day-a muted brown. We used 3 colors each, different shadows. Needless to say, these do not stay on all day.
For my teenage daughter this is great. For a woman who wants and needs those colors to last for shading in the crease and brightening on the inner corner, well this was a fail.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have many Too Faced products that I genuinely love, but I never EVER reach for this palette. I find these shadows dry and chalky. Not true to pan at all. Especially in the case of sugared violets (the purple shade), and the other reddish-toned shades, which is unfortunate because those were the shades I was most attracted to. The scent is nice, but overall it is a major disappointment for me.