Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.6

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Forever my favorite eye shadow palette!! The formula is amazing and all of the shadows preform nicely. The colors are beautiful and practically glide onto the eyes and there are no blending issues whatsoever. All of the colors work well together and are very pigmented. This product retails for $49 but is worth the buy! I have green eyes and this palette really makes them pop. Hands down the best Too Faced product that you could purchase! Worth the hype!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Just purchased this week and was disappointed to note that the chocolate scent is faint as ever.

This really is a brown-lover's palette. So many variations of brown shades. It's not a bad thing if you like that. I love that they have large pans for the all over lid shades. Quality is good! Candied Violet sucks but I didn't buy the palette for that shade anyways. I think it's a good neutral palette, great for beginners or those who really suck at makeup haha.

on 2/11/2018 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Price-$49.00- purchased at Sephora- Will not repurchase

Honestly, this palette never wowed me when I first got it and my opinion never changed. It mostly just sits in the drawer now. I wonder how well this would have sold if it didn’t smell like chocolate and didn’t have gimmicky packaging. I think it is overpriced too. I just expected more. I do like that the names are on the shadows in the palette and it does have a nice mirror and the palette itself is sturdy.

There are some pretty shimmers in the palette but they are dry, not that impressive and don’t stay on long. I don’t like glitter and 4 of them have glitter. The shimmers are not as pigmented as the mattes but I don't care too much for the mattes in the palette either, some feel chalky to me. I have a difficult time getting some of these shades to blend and when blended they just look muddy. I feel like there is not enough color pay off and pigment for the price of this palette. Some days I love the smell of the chocolate and other days I find it nauseating. White chocolate and salted caramel are almost gone, the other colors I just never use that much. It is just underwhelming to me, the colors, the pigment, ease of blending, end result…. Just doesn’t work for me. Some days I use some of the mattes by themselves with a dab of a darker color on the outer corner. I’ve given up trying to blend several colors to create a look I love. I’m not sure I will use this after white chocolate and salted caramel are gone. I will probably give it to one of my nieces.

Shades include:(from Ulta website)

Matte (6):
• Milk Chocolate (muted brown matte)
• White Chocolate (creamy beige matte)
• Triple Fudge (deep grey brown)
• Salted Caramel (soft fawn matte)
• Semi-Sweet (medium brown matte)
• Strawberry Bon Bon (soft pale pink matte)

Matte with Fine Glitter (3):
• Gilded Ganche (dark espresso with gold sparkle)
• Black Forest Truffle (plum chocolate with golden sparkle)
• Cherry Cordial (deep plum brown with purple sparkle)

Pearl with Fine Glitter (1):
• Candied Violet (deep plum brown with purple sparkle)

Metallic (6):
• Marzipan (rose gold pearl)
• Amaretto (deep pinky bronze)
• Hazlenut (deep pinky bronze)
• Creme Brulee (antique gold peal)
• Haute Chocolate (medium bronze brown)
• Champagne Truffle (ballet slipper pink pearl)

Really good staple palette. Works on all skin tones and has a good range of basic shades with a creamy formula. And they last forever. I wish the matte pink shade was a little better, but the rest of the palette compensates for sure.

on 10/15/2017 12:54:00 PM

This was my first ever more high end purchase and boy was it a good one. This palette has stood the test of time and will continue to do so for many more years to come. I still remember the giddy feeling I got after buying it. I was in France (we don't have Too Faced here) and I was doubting so much because I didn't want to spend more after a pretty expensive citytrip so I initially walked away and continuing talking about that palette. So when we were in a shoe shop and I was still going off whetever or not I was wise to pass up on it, my friend turned to me and said:'''Please, just walk back and buy it. This is the only chance you will have and maybe then you will shut up''. So I basically ran back to Sephora, grabbed it and took a beeline for the cashier. Never regretted it.

The packaging is on point and for sure the trendsetter. The smell immediately got to me and when I first bought it, I often found myself just grabbing it, looking at it, smelling it and then putting it away lmao.
The shades are really good, with a few misses. The brown mattes are all on point. Good to blend, barely any kick up and the perfect base shades Then you have your pops of colors that could do with more pigmentation, but are good enough to build up and give you a beautiful eye look no matter what. However, the light pink matte Strawberry Bon Bon however is a let down and I feel like this could have been replaced by a rich, deep brown or something. Cherry Cordial is also slightly on the too chalky side and I have noticed this shade to fade sooner than the rest.

I reach for this palette more often in the fall and winter than I do in spring or summer, but I will forever treasure it and the moment it runs out, I will order a new one, for sure.

on 9/26/2017 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The selection of mostly brown shadows presented in a tin shaped like a Hershey bar was a stroke of genius – this is a top seller that spawned sequels: Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar, Chocolate Bon Bons, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Peanut Butter & Honey, and the Sweet Peach palette.

I didn’t hop on the bandwagon right away so I ended up buying the second generation of the original Chocolate Bar palette. The colors are the same but the packaging is slimmer and the names are printed above the pans. The first run was in a bulkier tin and the names were printed on an easy-to-lose plastic insert. It still comes with a little pamphlet that includes diagrams of three eye designs.

Performance:

Too Faced recommends using their Shadow Insurance eye primer as a base. If you already own a tube of something similar such as Urban Decay’s Primer Potion or MAC’s Prep + Prime eye base, you can procrastinate buying their primer, but it does help the shadows last longer without losing intensity. In lieu of eye primer I’ve been able to use Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick in Vanilla Kiss with good results. The texture of the Caviar Stick is ever-so-slightly tacky so powders cling to it.

Some of the shadows have better pigmentation than others. Most of them blend nicely with good brushes. I like to use the Wayne Goss eye brushes, but MAC 221 and Laura Mercier’s Ponytail brush are also great for the crease. Charlotte Tilbury’s Eye Blender and MAC 217 are blending brushes I reach for often. Tilbury’s smudge brush is good for running color along the lower lashline.

Colors:

My favorite mattes in this palette are:

White Chocolate: This is a cream colored base shade. I’m glad they made this pan larger because I include this highlight color every time I use Chocolate Bar.

Salted Caramel: This peachy tan goes on smoothly and it’s a wonderful transition shade. You can apply the darker colors over it and they never look muddy. I will probably hit pan on this one first.

Milk Chocolate: Another warm beige but less peachy than Salted Caramel, another good transition color.

Semi-Sweet: Great matte brown crease color - I rely on this one a lot, along with Hazelnut.

Triple Fudge: Fudge is rich and dark but surprisingly easy to blend with soft brushes.

I also like Cherry Cordial, a burgundy which is a nice change from some of the more predictable browns, and Strawberry Bon Bon, a cool pink that is easy to work with.

My favorite shimmers are:

Gilded Ganache – this looks olive in the pan but easily blends with the browns and doesn’t look crazy green on the eyes.

Crème Brulee – a gorgeous antique gold with great pigmentation.

Haute Chocolate – a shimmery brown, similar in depth to Hazelnut.

Marzipan – a pale peachy beige shimmer.

Champagne Truffle - a shimmery base shade.

I usually love purple, so I’m surprised that my least favorite shades in this palette are Candied Violet and Black Forest Truffle. Both are smoky, greyish and metallic. There are more vibrant purples in the Peanut Butter & Jelly palette. Amaretto looks promising in the pan but I have to work to build it up.

Fallout:

These are soft powders and when you pack them on you are bound to get a light dusting of cocoa-colored shadow on the cheekbones. Tapping the excess off your brush before applying color to the lids reduces the amount of fallout, but even so I frequently find myself tidying up afterward. So when I’m working with this palette I actually prefer to do my eye makeup first and my foundation afterward. I've noticed that Charlotte Tilbury's shadows are neater, less dusty. Even the Too Faced Peanut Butter palettes seem to generate less fallout than Chocolate Bar.

The Fragrance:

These powders smell like chocolate. I bought this for the colors and usually prefer fragrance free shadow. However, the scent doesn't bother me. I enjoy Chocolate Bar and I use it a lot.

The Verdict:

The adorable packaging and step-by-step instructions make this an irresistible gift for teens. It’s a nice range of neutrals that doesn’t put you to sleep.

I’ve been especially pleased with the wear of these shades: Crème Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Triple Fudge, Semi-Sweet, Salted Caramel, White Chocolate, Hazelnut, Marzipan, and Gilded Ganache when packed on for a smoky eye.

Although I trust the magnetic closure at home I prefer something that clicks shut to go in my suitcase. When I pack for trips I’m more likely to grab Too Faced’s smaller nine-pan tins.

The mid-range prices of Too Faced are easier to afford than brands like Tom Ford, whose quads are $85 each. If you’re interested in this palette, look for sales on the Too Faced website as well as Ulta, Sephora, and Macy’s. The retail price of Chocolate Bar is $49 but I bought mine during a promotion for $39.

I liked Chocolate Bar enough that I went on to purchase the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar, both of the Peanut Butter nine-pan tins, Just Peachy Mattes, and Kandee Johnson’s Candy Eyes. I don't think Chocolate Bar is a perfect palette (hence the 4 out of 5 rating) but it's certainly a good one and I reach for it often.

on 5/29/2017 7:21:00 AM

I was excited about these palettes when I first got them in my hands, but the more I try to use them, the less I care. Chocolate Bar in particular i find lacks quality for the price ($59CAN). Ill still use it, the shadows are workable but I dont find they make a great impact. Im very light NC20 or lighter, I use es primer and a lot of the shades need to be packed on to show up, and they're quite lackluster. The browns are decent for definition. Regardless, they can still work well for every day use, but out of all these palettes, Bonbons performed the best. I adore the packaging and the smell though.

EDIT: after trying this again after some time, something changed. Perhaps my expectations were different at the time I wrote the review. Ive been really enjoying this palette lately and all the colours seem to work fanatically. The shadows are not what I'd call buttery soft and they are really pressed in, but I've been enjoying every single look I've gotten out of it since I picked it up again. Cherry Cordal has been a staple and I'm loving Strawberry Bonbon as a transition/blending shade. I also realized that Champagne Truffle makes a fantastic subtle champagne highlight on my cheekbones. I'm getting a ton of use out of this now!

on 1/19/2017 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Buy this palette because you need it and you will love it like i do

on 1/11/2017 2:18:00 PM

I'm honestly just not that wowed by this. I got this a few months ago when I got my Ulta credit card after wanting all 3 chocolate bar palettes forever. I just got this and the semi sweet, though. I think that i'm not in love with it because it's just another set of neutrals, and I LOVE neutrals. Nothing super impressive in here. I don't think the purples are that pretty/look that good and I don't use purple that often anyways. Gilded ganache is so ugly to me. I don't like gold so i'll almost never use creme brulee. I do really like the highlight shades, milk chocolate is good, too but nothing that I don't already have. Strawberry bonbon is pretty but i'm not sure how to wear it. I need to play with it. Amaretto, cherry cordial and black forest truffle are all really pretty also, but I guess I haven't really been that inspired to create a look with them. Haute chocolate showed up way darker than I had wanted and I want to love Marzipan but it also came out way darker/gold than I expected. The packaging is super cute though and the smell is amazing but I think I could have probably lived without this. I blame all of the hype around it. Maybe if I play around with it some more I'll like it. I made myself use the peach palette for 3 days to see if I liked it and wanted to keep it and also watched a lot of tutorials and ended up liking it and keeping it. I need to do the same for this I suppose. I just wish I loved it so much more than I do.

Update: I've found that mixing milk chocolate and semi-sweet gives me a nice crease color, and I like to go back and press white chocolate on the lid after for an everyday look. I do a similar thing with the semi-sweet palette and like the shade I get better when mixing 2 browns in there but sometimes I'll use this instead so I don't run out of the 2 in semi sweet too fast. Annoyed I only like 3 shades out of the whole palette but glad I at least found a use with it. Added 1 star.

on 1/3/2017 6:55:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Such a nice neutral palette:) i got this last year when i went to mexico and i use it almost everyday its perfect. I dont even feel the need to buy any more eyeshadow because (i already have enough besides this) it has everything i need. Smells nice :) should know that couple of shades are more dry than the others so just use a good base and load your brush with the product. Btw the colour champagne truffle i think? Is really pretty as a face highlight!

Popular Palettes