Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.4

on 9/26/2017 4:44:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The selection of mostly brown shadows presented in a tin shaped like a Hershey bar was a stroke of genius – this is a top seller that spawned sequels: Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar, Chocolate Bon Bons, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Peanut Butter & Honey, and the Sweet Peach palette.

I didn’t hop on the bandwagon right away so I ended up buying the second generation of the original Chocolate Bar palette. The colors are the same but the packaging is slimmer and the names are printed above the pans. The first run was in a bulkier tin and the names were printed on an easy-to-lose plastic insert. It still comes with a little pamphlet that includes diagrams of three eye designs.

Performance:

Too Faced recommends using their Shadow Insurance eye primer as a base. If you already own a tube of something similar such as Urban Decay’s Primer Potion or MAC’s Prep + Prime eye base, you can procrastinate buying their primer, but it does help the shadows last longer without losing intensity. In lieu of eye primer I’ve been able to use Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick in Vanilla Kiss with good results. The texture of the Caviar Stick is ever-so-slightly tacky so powders cling to it.

Some of the shadows have better pigmentation than others. Most of them blend nicely with good brushes. I like to use the Wayne Goss eye brushes, but MAC 221 and Laura Mercier’s Ponytail brush are also great for the crease. Charlotte Tilbury’s Eye Blender and MAC 217 are blending brushes I reach for often. Tilbury’s smudge brush is good for running color along the lower lashline.

Colors:

My favorite mattes in this palette are:

White Chocolate: This is a cream colored base shade. I’m glad they made this pan larger because I include this highlight color every time I use Chocolate Bar.

Salted Caramel: This peachy tan goes on smoothly and it’s a wonderful transition shade. You can apply the darker colors over it and they never look muddy. I will probably hit pan on this one first.

Milk Chocolate: Another warm beige but less peachy than Salted Caramel, another good transition color.

Semi-Sweet: Great matte brown crease color - I rely on this one a lot, along with Hazelnut.

Triple Fudge: Fudge is rich and dark but surprisingly easy to blend with soft brushes.

I also like Cherry Cordial, a burgundy which is a nice change from some of the more predictable browns, and Strawberry Bon Bon, a cool pink that is easy to work with.

My favorite shimmers are:

Gilded Ganache – this looks olive in the pan but easily blends with the browns and doesn’t look crazy green on the eyes.

Crème Brulee – a gorgeous antique gold with great pigmentation.

Haute Chocolate – a shimmery brown, similar in depth to Hazelnut.

Marzipan – a pale peachy beige shimmer.

Champagne Truffle - a shimmery base shade.

I usually love purple, so I’m surprised that my least favorite shades in this palette are Candied Violet and Black Forest Truffle. Both are smoky, greyish and metallic. There are more vibrant purples in the Peanut Butter & Jelly palette. Amaretto looks promising in the pan but I have to work to build it up.

Fallout:

These are soft powders and when you pack them on you are bound to get a light dusting of cocoa-colored shadow on the cheekbones. Tapping the excess off your brush before applying color to the lids reduces the amount of fallout, but even so I frequently find myself tidying up afterward. So when I’m working with this palette I actually prefer to do my eye makeup first and my foundation afterward. I've noticed that Charlotte Tilbury's shadows are neater, less dusty. Even the Too Faced Peanut Butter palettes seem to generate less fallout than Chocolate Bar.

The Fragrance:

These powders smell like chocolate. I bought this for the colors and usually prefer fragrance free shadow. However, the scent doesn't bother me. I enjoy Chocolate Bar and I use it a lot.

The Verdict:

The adorable packaging and step-by-step instructions make this an irresistible gift for teens. It’s a nice range of neutrals that doesn’t put you to sleep.

I’ve been especially pleased with the wear of these shades: Crème Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Triple Fudge, Semi-Sweet, Salted Caramel, White Chocolate, Hazelnut, Marzipan, and Gilded Ganache when packed on for a smoky eye.

Although I trust the magnetic closure at home I prefer something that clicks shut to go in my suitcase. When I pack for trips I’m more likely to grab Too Faced’s smaller nine-pan tins.

The mid-range prices of Too Faced are easier to afford than brands like Tom Ford, whose quads are $85 each. If you’re interested in this palette, look for sales on the Too Faced website as well as Ulta, Sephora, and Macy’s. The retail price of Chocolate Bar is $49 but I bought mine during a promotion for $39.

I liked Chocolate Bar enough that I went on to purchase the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar, both of the Peanut Butter nine-pan tins, Just Peachy Mattes, and Kandee Johnson’s Candy Eyes. I don't think Chocolate Bar is a perfect palette (hence the 4 out of 5 rating) but it's certainly a good one and I reach for it often.

on 11/27/2016 5:22:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I received this as a birthday gift from a good friend of mine.

The price ($50) is on par with what other mid-range/high end brands would price a similar sized palette. The packaging and scent are amazing!

The reason that I am not rating this palette very highly is that there is nothing about this palette other than the scent and packaging that makes it worth the hype. The color selection is pretty standard/meh. Some of the shades, specifically a matte pink called Strawberry Bon Bon and a matte bone color called White Chocolate, do not show up on my NC30 skin tone. For a palette of this price, having shadows that lack pigmentation is disappointing.

It's a nice enough palette but I think that there are other neutral palettes that do it a lot better than this one does (i.e. The Lorac Pro). I would not repurchase nor recommend this to a friend.

on 10/23/2016 11:57:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I had been lusting after this palette like forever and now I feel slightly let down. Sure, the packaging is terribly cute and the scent is divine. The mix of earthy and purple colors looks right up my alley but in reality isn't as versatile as I hoped.

First of all you do need to use a primer. And no, TFSI isn't enough so I use creamy ones like Paintpots or Color Tatoos to provide a more substantial base.

White Chocolate looks very similar to my favourite highlighter - Blanc Type by MAC. I was very excited to have a big pan of this color but pigmentation is laughable in comparison. Same with Strawberry Bon Bon. Champagne Truffle is pretty but I'd use such light and shimmery color only on the tear duct (not a fan of shimmery browbone highlighters here) Consequently I have to opt for another matte highlighter anyway and that takes some versatility points off.

Gilded Ganache needs a darker cream base or wet application or else it comes off as light shimmery gray instead of earthy golden green. Black Forest Truffle and Candied Violet have the same issue but look stunning applied wet! Especially the pink-blue sparkles in Candied Violet really show this way. That look makes quite a statement though so I don't use them for daytime although they are beautiful.

Amaretto, Cherry Cordial and Triple Fudge are really nice for darkening the outer corner but that's just a nice accent, not what makes a look.

Milk Chocolate, Semi-Sweet and Salted Caramel have good pigmentation. You can trust on them to find a suitable matte earthy crease color anytime so thumbs up!

Marzipan and Creme Brulee are the two I use on the lids for daytime on my fair skin, Hazelnut and Haute Chocolate can be used the same way but the overall effect will be deeper. That said if you're fair like me and don't opt for smokey looks each day you have basically only two lid colors left - more versatility points off.

Another issue I have is that they mostly need to be packed for the colors to show up true to the pan - here a 239 brush comes very handy - and since quite a few shades are close in terms of hue and depth when blended the result can be too homogenous. Still, all the looks I've created with this palette have turned out beautiful (the golden, purple and reddish undertones really compliment green eyes) but the effect is almost always on the hazy side. If you're a fan of smokey eyes you'll enjoy this palette a lot but if you're after crisp, vivid eyeshadow looks you'll find this palette hard to provide that.

To be fair though they stay put all day, fallout is minimal, shimmer/small glitter is tastefully done and haven't experienced any creasing.

In a nutshell Chocolate Bar is still a nice palette in my book and don't regret purchasing it but some shades are underwhelming and I find that it works better in conjunction with other eyeshadows than as a stand-alone palette for me.

on 4/3/2016 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Definitely my new all-time favourite palette. So pigmented and blendable with a great range of shadows varying from matte to shimmer shades. Perfect for any smokey, especially brown toned look. An added bonus that it smells like chocolate -5 lipsticks from me!

on 3/13/2016 7:14:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is one of my most frequently used palettes. I also purchased the Semi-Sweet palette but I would definitely recommend this one over the two. The shadows are pigmented, smooth, blend easily and last well on the lids. The Marzipan shade is my favourite inner corner highlight shade, such a flattering colour for green eyes and really makes them pop. Salted caramel is another winner, a beautiful warm orangey brown and the two matte browns are great. The one negative for me would be the packaging - I don't find it to be travel friendly, the lid doesn't stay up like the Tarte palettes and the mirror is quite small.

on 11/13/2015 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was definitely intrigued when I saw this palette being praised by many MUA's so thought I would jump on the bandwagon and go for it as well. So so happy with the texture, blend-ability and wear of these shadows. Best yet, I have sensitive skin and this eye shadow palette caused absolutely no reactions (redness, bumps, itchy-ness). There are a total of 6 velvet matte shades and 10 shimmering shades. The shades are a mix of neutrals, bronze, plums, pinks and chocolate hues. The holding powder of the shadows in my experience was 8+ hours without any budging so they can be potentially considered semi-water resistant in my opinion. I LOVE the cocoa powder scent (the eyeshadows are infused with 100% cocoa powder) along with the chocolate bar shaped packaging; very clever and cute! Great value for the price considering there are a multitude of looks that can be created with this palette which makes it fun to experiment with. I created a few different smokey eye looks using this palette on Youtube. Links are down below.....

on 9/8/2015 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am crazy about this palette! It's so beautiful, I love the packaging (the one I have is thin with the names printed on the palette), and I love the chocolate smell! Just looking at this makes me happy! I especially love the matte colors here, and also the large highlight shade which gives such a nice cute dewy look. This palette is much better than my Naked 1 & 2 palettes (not that they are really comparable), and I still like it better than even my Lorac Unzipped & Unzipped Gold...although that's a close call!!

on 8/25/2015 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

When I first bought the chocolate bar palette, I absolutely LOVED it. Everything about it -- the smell, the packaging, the colors...beautiful. And I still think that it is a good product, but there are certain things about it that could be better. First off, I think that there are too many browns in it. Having neutral browns is always great, but I know that I already have a ton just like them that are just as great. There are three matte browns milk chocolate, salted caramel, and semi sweet, and two satin/shimmery browns hazelnut and haute chocolate. I think they are all beautiful shadows, but they could have put something more unique instead. I love love love the color marzipan. I hit pan on it within like the first month of buying it. I was disappointed in a lot of the shadows on the right. Strawberry bonbon and candied violet just aren't very pigmented, and I found amaretto, black forest truffle, triple fudge, and cherry cordial very hard to work with. You have to be really careful with those shadows. Love love love the two highlights. I haven't used the one dark green color, gilded ganache, much. It is a bit darker than I like. Overall, I think that the quality of a lot of the shadows is amazing, but probably the best part is the scent. I think that if I were to lose it, I would spend the money on something with more versatility instead.

on 8/11/2015 4:30:00 PM

THIS REALLY SMELLS LIKE CHOCOLATE.

The colours aren't anything special, neutrals (a bit on the warm side) as they are all the rage right now. Pigmentation is medium (better if you use an eyelid primer) but the shades complement each other, and as mattes go, these are really buildable.

I can't fault this palette, the price is a bit high (excellent marketing and package advertising though), the 'chalkiness' is minimal, virtually gone if you use primer.

What really sells this is the fact that it smells like chocolate. That's fantastic, although I don't really like fragrance in my cosmestics.

I have both the semi-sweet and sweet bars, and I prefer the semi-sweet colors.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Remember when you were a kid and your family took you out for ice fream and you had a sundae? Remember the smell of the chocolate sauce after you accidentally spilled it on yourself?
That is what this palette smells like: stale spilled chocolate sauce.
It's so imbued with the aroma that I got rid of mine.

The palette itself is very easy to use, good pigmentation, but too warm overall. I really could not make many of the medium brown shades work. Salted caramel and milk chocolate never looked right on me and weren't usable transition shades. Gilded ganache had, like several shades, lots of fall out, end of a work day was a bummer after trying them. Even with really tacky primers like the one Fyrinnae makes.

I found it to be a bit of a let down.