Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

on 5/31/2018 12:20:00 PM

Colors are wearable, warm neutrals and for the price there is a decent amount of product and shade selection. Unfortunately *I* am allergic to this shadow. Understandably ymmv but I don't know why fragrance (as in parfum/artificial) is added to an eye product when the eyes are so sensitive and eyelid skin is so thin and delicate. TF has revamped their line where basically ALL of their shadows are now artificially scented and now they're basically dead to me as a brand bc of this. Even the 9 pans are revamped now w added fragrance. I feel like they isolated a huge market that wants their makeup to just be high performing makeup, not a kitschy looking collectors piece that smells like ice cream.

on 4/10/2017 12:44:00 PM

Terrible quality for the price and overly hyped in my opinion. It looks pretty in pan, but most colours barely show up on my skin and can be duped with many other palettes or singles.

Would not purchase again or recommend.

Off topic, I just purchased Smashbox Cover Shot palette in Golden Hour and it's incredible. It was only $35 CDN and is just gorgeous. I would rather buy 2 Cover Shot Palettes than spend the money on a dud like TF Chocolate Bar.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Am I the only person to really be let down by this palette? Number one, it's extremely annoying that the names of the shadows are not written inside the palette, but on a little plastic insert that you throw away or if you keep it, it's totally in the way. The pigment just doesn't come out the color I'm expecting. They are very smooth, great smelling shadows, but I'm much happier with Any of the Urban Decay Naked pallettes. It's difficult to put my finger on, ( which I know doesnt help much in a review) but I genuinely wish I could return it. Very unhappy with it & wish I had gone with Lorac. Ive tried a ton of chocolate bar tutorials & I'm just not feeling it.

This is just meh to me. I bought it after reading about it on the boards. I like some of the colors, but others just pull too orangy on me. I use it on occasion, but I use all my Naked palettes way more.

Pros- cute packaging, good shadow sizes (meaning there's a lot of product). It is highly pigmented, and as one reviewer said, a light hand is needed, which I like. The shadows I do use I like a lot, good pigment and staying power.

Cons- just maybe a lot of the shadows area a little too warm for my taste.

Pretty pricey, but I think I had a 20% off coupon at Ulta and it's no more than other palettes really.

Edit- I kept trying it, it kept looking orangy. I gave to my dd. Not worth it for just the 2 shadows I have dupes for.

I don't hate this, and I do use it probably a couple of times a month, but I know that after I hit pan on the few shadows I do use I will probably throw this out with some barely used. Oh well.

I got this back in the day when this was new and hyped and everyone kept talking about it. It was one of my very first eye pallettes ever so my expectations weren't as high as they are now as I didn't have much comparison. I kept using it, the packaging was cute and it smelled nice. But when buying the eye pallette you expect shadows to be good and there are pretty meh. To tell the truth I haven't had much luck with Too Faced products overall, I think apart from the super lovely packaging they are pretty overpriced and overhyped for what they are. The shadows in the pallette don't blend nicely and don't have a staying power, also the pigmentaion is really not that good and there's much fallout. I am not impressed with this one and I gave it away.

on 2/11/2018 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Price-$49.00- purchased at Sephora- Will not repurchase

Honestly, this palette never wowed me when I first got it and my opinion never changed. It mostly just sits in the drawer now. I wonder how well this would have sold if it didn’t smell like chocolate and didn’t have gimmicky packaging. I think it is overpriced too. I just expected more. I do like that the names are on the shadows in the palette and it does have a nice mirror and the palette itself is sturdy.

There are some pretty shimmers in the palette but they are dry, not that impressive and don’t stay on long. I don’t like glitter and 4 of them have glitter. The shimmers are not as pigmented as the mattes but I don't care too much for the mattes in the palette either, some feel chalky to me. I have a difficult time getting some of these shades to blend and when blended they just look muddy. I feel like there is not enough color pay off and pigment for the price of this palette. Some days I love the smell of the chocolate and other days I find it nauseating. White chocolate and salted caramel are almost gone, the other colors I just never use that much. It is just underwhelming to me, the colors, the pigment, ease of blending, end result…. Just doesn’t work for me. Some days I use some of the mattes by themselves with a dab of a darker color on the outer corner. I’ve given up trying to blend several colors to create a look I love. I’m not sure I will use this after white chocolate and salted caramel are gone. I will probably give it to one of my nieces.

Shades include:(from Ulta website)

Matte (6):
• Milk Chocolate (muted brown matte)
• White Chocolate (creamy beige matte)
• Triple Fudge (deep grey brown)
• Salted Caramel (soft fawn matte)
• Semi-Sweet (medium brown matte)
• Strawberry Bon Bon (soft pale pink matte)

Matte with Fine Glitter (3):
• Gilded Ganche (dark espresso with gold sparkle)
• Black Forest Truffle (plum chocolate with golden sparkle)
• Cherry Cordial (deep plum brown with purple sparkle)

Pearl with Fine Glitter (1):
• Candied Violet (deep plum brown with purple sparkle)

Metallic (6):
• Marzipan (rose gold pearl)
• Amaretto (deep pinky bronze)
• Hazlenut (deep pinky bronze)
• Creme Brulee (antique gold peal)
• Haute Chocolate (medium bronze brown)
• Champagne Truffle (ballet slipper pink pearl)

on 1/6/2017 10:30:00 PM

I would never purchase this palette again. It's way too boring for me. I personally feel like Too Faced fills a good majority of their palettes with a ton of browns. I never use this and this was my first high end palette.

on 12/18/2016 3:28:00 PM

This was such a disappointment for me. I was so incredibly excited and had heard such amazing things but this palette did not live up to the claims at all. I purchased from a reputable shop so I know the palettes definitely not a fake, but honestly you would think it was. Although it smells lovely and the packaging and some of the shimmers are of a nice quality, there are quite a few 'dud' shades and many of the shadows are dry and quite chalky! Many of the shadows blend into one another and consequently it is difficult if you want to create a halo eye or even just any definition. The shades get very boring very quickly and I lost my inspiration with it due to the shadows almost 'muddying' together. Had to use a fixing spray with every shimmer to get any proper pigment from the shadows and ended up scraping the surface of with a teaspoon in attempt to reach a softer shadow that would be more pigmented - no such luck. Yes the mattes are quite nice and soft but overall it's just not worth the price point. I'd recommend a Morphe palette instead - much better quality with soft, buttery, pigmented, blendable eyeshadows.

on 3/6/2016 9:13:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I feel a little duped by this product. What I love the most is that the shadows are so easy to blend. Even the darkest ones in the palette blend like a dream. I felt like a makeup artist. But that's where it ended. Within an hour the darkest shades are lighter than when I applied them. I used this with a Mac paint pot under, my daughter used it with the too faced shadow insurance. Our eyes looked exactly the same by the end of the day-a muted brown. We used 3 colors each, different shadows. Needless to say, these do not stay on all day.
For my teenage daughter this is great. For a woman who wants and needs those colors to last for shading in the crease and brightening on the inner corner, well this was a fail.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have many Too Faced products that I genuinely love, but I never EVER reach for this palette. I find these shadows dry and chalky. Not true to pan at all. Especially in the case of sugared violets (the purple shade), and the other reddish-toned shades, which is unfortunate because those were the shades I was most attracted to. The scent is nice, but overall it is a major disappointment for me.

Popular Palettes