Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I love this palette SO MUCH. I've been using it for a solid two weeks now and I have no plans to return to Naked 3, 2, 1 or Lorac Unzipped or UD Smoked or any of my 753376538 MAC shadows etc etc any time soon. There are several reasons I will be ignoring all of my other shadows for who knows how long:
1. The smell. These shadows obviously smell like chocolate. I am not a morning person. Every morning that whiff of cocoa when I dip my brush in whatever shade I choose to use first puts my mood from groggy and pissy to happy and comforted in an instant. I guess I am very susceptible to the soothing powers of chocolate.
2. The colors. I have used every single color in this palette and have loved every look I have achieved with it. For my coloring- about NC30 skin, blonde hair, green eyes- all the shades in this palette are not only flattering, they are complimentary. Having those burgundy shades really sets this over the top for me because no colors will make my green eyes stand out like red based colors. I don't have to reach for any other shadows to complete a look. Using any other palette I own, I would have to reach elsewhere for a hi lite for the brow, or maybe a blender color. But not here. For the vast majority of my days, I wear a softly smokey eye done with warm colors. This lets me do several variations of that with a little purple for fun.
3. The quality. All of the shadows are wonderfully pigmented, smooth and easily workable. There are a few with teeny glitters, and the glitter stays on the eyes if I press the shadow on or it easily is tapped away from my brush if I choose to do so. I have no fading or creasing through the day. I always prime with UDPP in Eden, so nothing really ever fades or creases on my primed lids.
4. The packaging/presentation. This is just a cute palette. It looks like a chocolate bar. Inside it has an overlay on the shadows with the names, just like a box of nice chocolates. It's very sturdy and has a nice weight to it. It opens and closes without an issue (hem HEM Naked 3). It's just fun to use. Makes me happy.
So again, I adore this and it is my favorite makeup purchase in some time. I would give up all my naked palettes for it. I am going to update this review when I move on from this palette. I don't even know why I'd stray at this point, but it will be worth making note of if it makes me as happy as this palette.

on 8/10/2016 7:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

There is nothing in the world like this pallate, If has a beautiful mixture of matts And glitters and smell AMAZING. if you need one pallate for the rest of your life, defiantly this. 10/10

I have been eying this for some time. I finally bought it last weekend with the encouragement of a friend. I love it. The smell of chocolate is so soothing. I use UD lid primer underneath and have been using this with my Naked Basics and UD Ammo pallette. It is great on its own as well. I am fairly new to the eyeshadow obsession, and this makes me happy every time I use it. There is no fall-out either which is great. The shimmer is very slight on some, and it stays put all day. I used to put eyeshadow on quickly every day. Before I used primer, I found it would be gone by noon. So if you are having trouble with staying power...try eye primer!

on 5/31/2018 12:20:00 PM

Colors are wearable, warm neutrals and for the price there is a decent amount of product and shade selection. Unfortunately *I* am allergic to this shadow. Understandably ymmv but I don't know why fragrance (as in parfum/artificial) is added to an eye product when the eyes are so sensitive and eyelid skin is so thin and delicate. TF has revamped their line where basically ALL of their shadows are now artificially scented and now they're basically dead to me as a brand bc of this. Even the 9 pans are revamped now w added fragrance. I feel like they isolated a huge market that wants their makeup to just be high performing makeup, not a kitschy looking collectors piece that smells like ice cream.

I did give this 5 stars, but that's pretty much because if I was gonna own any piece of makeup that speaks to me, it would be this one. BUT with that being said, I wasn't like- Holy crap! This is the best eyeshadow I've ever used! I have indeed used drugstore eyeshadow that performed just as well. But, the product itself is one of a kind (other than the dupe that's out). I have blue eyes, and this is really pretty, but I wish I had purchased the semi sweet. I will eventually purchase it, and if I like it, that will be the one I repurchase. If you can find this on sale or have a birthday coming up, I would recommend it. But if you think you "have" to have it for $49, I PERSONALLY don't think it is worth the splurge. But that is just my opinion.

on 2/26/2015 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Just bought this today and rushed home and did an eye look and swatched them all. nothing has disappointed and i am so happy. I'm sitting here at 12:41am and looking at it, just eyeballing it. its so beautiful.

buttery in texture, the shimmers are SHIMMERY and the mattes are pigmented and bendable. thats all i ask for, bendable haha. Two highlighter shades (one matte THANK YOU and one shimmery THANK YOU TWICE) and they're the largest pans in the palette (another THANK YOU deserved).

The smell is divine but not overpowering. i can understand how people may not like it, because putting scented powder on my eyes irked me somewhat. the smell goes away though, you can't smell it on your eyeballzz.

Tin palette that opens up to a 170 degree angle so the mirror is functional. the smell comes out when you open it each time yummm. There is such a good array of colours that you will never run out of looks. theres two crease colours, shimmery browns, shimmery purples and shimmery pinks. by shimmery, i mean the texture and finish of a MAC veluxe pearl, like the texture of Woodwinked or All that Glitters (are these deluxe pearls?? dunno)

The colours don't come with names on them so I'm bit upset. The little protective film over the top is the only thing that indicates names and i always throw those away so I'm struggling to throw it or keep it...why you gotta play us like that Too Faced??

$62AUD from Kit cosmetics in sydney city myer. i didnt need another neutral looking palette but i bought it and i don't regret it because its BOMB.COM.

What can I say, I bought this because I fell in love with the whole chocolate smell and texture thing. Maybe I'm a sucker, but I really like it. I honestly wish more companies would give a nice scent to their powder products like too faced has with the chocolate line, but I digress.

I love this palette, the colors are flattering and highly blendable. I can't say that I love this more than any other I'm a little bit of a palette junkie. I would say it is up there with my Naked Palettes.

This is like a neutral eyeshadow palette with a little bit extra. It isn't just neutrals but the pops of color still have a neutral undertone that make them very easy to wear.

While I don't think you need every neutral shadow palette under the sun, I do think this would be a great one for beginners because it is not just nudes browns and blacks but it isn't difficult to wear either.

Bonus: I like to use the highlight shades and strawberry bon bon my 10yr old daughter once in a while. Its a great hint of color that, on her pale skin, barely shows. And she feels special cause its momma's chocolate eye shadow.

on 2/25/2014 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This palette is gorgeous! I've been on a palette binge this year thanks to Ulta GCs for Christmas and my birthday (plus tons of points I've saved up!): Unzipped, Lorac Pro, Naked 1 and 3, It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Matte palette...and then this one! I am reaching for this the most, which surprised because I wasn't blown away by the swatches I saw online from my favorite beauty bloggers. I am a sucker for all things brown/bronze/neutral though so I eventually caved and purchased this. I don't regret it!

I love salted caramel in the crease blended out, with either amaretto or haute chocolate on the lid and triple fudge in the outer V. Staying power is good with a primer. Plus it smells like chocolate, hello!

If you have the palettes I listed above do you NEED this? Probably not. But it has been a wonderful addition to my collection and I feel like I've barely tapped into all the possibilities yet!

on 1/11/2017 2:18:00 PM

I'm honestly just not that wowed by this. I got this a few months ago when I got my Ulta credit card after wanting all 3 chocolate bar palettes forever. I just got this and the semi sweet, though. I think that i'm not in love with it because it's just another set of neutrals, and I LOVE neutrals. Nothing super impressive in here. I don't think the purples are that pretty/look that good and I don't use purple that often anyways. Gilded ganache is so ugly to me. I don't like gold so i'll almost never use creme brulee. I do really like the highlight shades, milk chocolate is good, too but nothing that I don't already have. Strawberry bonbon is pretty but i'm not sure how to wear it. I need to play with it. Amaretto, cherry cordial and black forest truffle are all really pretty also, but I guess I haven't really been that inspired to create a look with them. Haute chocolate showed up way darker than I had wanted and I want to love Marzipan but it also came out way darker/gold than I expected. The packaging is super cute though and the smell is amazing but I think I could have probably lived without this. I blame all of the hype around it. Maybe if I play around with it some more I'll like it. I made myself use the peach palette for 3 days to see if I liked it and wanted to keep it and also watched a lot of tutorials and ended up liking it and keeping it. I need to do the same for this I suppose. I just wish I loved it so much more than I do.

Update: I've found that mixing milk chocolate and semi-sweet gives me a nice crease color, and I like to go back and press white chocolate on the lid after for an everyday look. I do a similar thing with the semi-sweet palette and like the shade I get better when mixing 2 browns in there but sometimes I'll use this instead so I don't run out of the 2 in semi sweet too fast. Annoyed I only like 3 shades out of the whole palette but glad I at least found a use with it. Added 1 star.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hands down my favourite eyeshadow palette for both natural looks, and dramatic looks. The colors are mainly warm to me, and I only need to lightly tap my brush a couple times to get enough product for my regular day to day eyeshadow look. (Which is in the middle of dramatic and natural). My skin is about an NC40 for reference and I apply a little concealer on my eyes beforehand.
Its the type of eyeshadow palrtte where no matter what look I do, I get compliments on my eyeshadow, and once when I did one of my favourite looks, a little girl at a wedding reception really liked them too! I thought that was awesome :)

The fallout in this is minimal for most shades, the color selection is nice for most skin tones and undertones from what ive seen, and I use the gold and the giant shimmer highlight pan as highlighter and its really intense.

The smell is awesome, it makes you hungry lol but it did fade for me after a while, but it took a while though.

Also, I feel like there's so many color combination options with this palette, if I had to do makeup on my best friend who has fair skin with cool undertones, I could easily pick out a few combinations for her eyes to either look girly and pretty, or smokey or even grungy, or I could do the same for my skin tone which is darker and warmer.

Oh, the only downside to this palette is that dang blue shade. Like what the heck. I can't figure out how to use it, but I'm going to try to layer a colored primer underneath and see what happens.

Also, the staying power is amazing. Looks just the same hours and hours later.

Also...You need to be careful with the shimmer as I tend to apply too much (3 coats?) And later on realize it looks too much and have to start wiping it off, and I haven't noticed that 'strength' of shimmer in other palettes, so just a heads up.