Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I held off of buying this palette for quite a while purely because I feel I have too many palettes, let alone adding another neutral one to my collection. But while I was out shopping a few weeks ago I saw this one, it was the last on the shelf and I felt compelled to buy it; as per usual.
First of all, I think Too Faced have really upped their game in terms of their palettes. The boxed ones they have pale in comparison to the 'A Few of my Favourite Things' palette and this Chocolate bar one. Probably because they are trying to compete with Urban Decay and the Naked collection.
Anyway, the packaging of the Chocolate Bar palette is gorgeous, I bought the one in the new slimmer packaging, so its lightweight, slim and easy for travelling. The case looks like a chocolate bar, and inside you get sixteen matte and shimmer shadows, which I think is a really good deal considering the Naked palettes only have twelve. Also, I'm not generally a fan of scented make up, but as soon as I opened it I could smell chocolate. Its definitely not overwhelming though, and didn't seem to irritate my sensitive skin.
Onto the colours themselves. I am pretty much in love with all sixteen, as they are all gorgeous and unique neutrals with some purples, pinks & maroon shades in there too. The shades are as follows:
. Gilded Ganache- This is a warm chocolate brown shade with gold & bronze shimmer running through it
. White Chocolate- A matte pale beige shade, buttery and smooth to apply. Very similar to shades such as Spotlight from the Natural at Night palette & Heaven from the Daytime Natural eye palette.
. Milk Chocolate- This shade is a muted warm toned brown with a matte finish, I love using it as a blending out colour in the crease, it creates lovely definition and blends out really easily
. Black Forest Truffle- A maroon slightly wine coloured base with gorgeous gold micro glitter. Do not be too concerned about the glitter, its not chunky and does not give masses of fallout, and it is a truly stunning shade
. Triple Fudge- This shade is a matte dark brown; it is very similar to 'Dark Chocolate' from the AFOMFT palette. Very good for deepening the outer v or creating smoky looks
. Salted Caramel- A warm muted orangey brown matte shade, possibly one of my lesser used shades from the palette as I'm not a fan of orange tones on my fair skin, but still, its buttery smooth, blendable and good for a crease colour
. Marizpan- This is one of my favourite shades of the entire palette, its a peachy shades, with a hint of maybe a salmon pink in there somewhere, its quite frosted so it gives quite a metallic finish. Its truly gorgeous as an all over the lid shade. In loooove
. Semi Sweet- A medium matte brown shade with reddish undertones that once again is good in the crease or outer v for those who like to create more natural eye looks
. Strawberry Bon Bon- This is a cool toned baby pink shade. I hate it when palettes have these baby pinks because I must admit I don't get a lot of use out of baby pink. I have used it in a couple of looks, and like the other matte shades in the palette is gorgeous and smooth easy to blend, but its not really my thing
. Candied Violet- I am really into my purples lately, and this shade makes me want to make more purple looks. Its a violet shimmer shade, quite cool toned with pink, purple & a tiny bit of greeny blue micro shimmer. Its got a bit of a dark navy in there too. Its another one of those shades where you should not fear the tiny glitter particles, there is not loads of fallout
. Amaretto- Named after one of my favourite alcoholic beverages, Amaretto is another red toned medium brown but this one has a gorgeous gold sheen to it. Its quite frosted like Marzipan, so the two shades can blend quite well together
. Hazelnut- A golden frosted bronze brown shade, it has really good pigmentation and is yet another shade perfect for doing a traditional neutral smoky eye
. Crme Brule- I think every neutral palette has to have a gold shade in there somewhere, and this palette is no exception. This is quite an interesting dark gold shade though, as its got some pinky undertones going on there, possibly they've taken some inspiration from Trick in the Naked 3 palette because it looks a little bit like a rose gold shade
. Haute Chocolate- Another warm reddish brown shimmer shade, its quite muted and has a frosty finish that allows for some truly amazing colour payoff
. Cherry Cordial- I think red undertones should be hailed as the main inspiration of the palette, because here is another! This shade is a slightly more plum red shade however, with a matte base colour being given a golden shimmery sparkle. It reminds me a lot of Soire from the AFOMFT palette, but Soire is a touch darker
. Champagne Truffle- Last but by no means least, is Champagne Truffle, the highlight shade of life. Seriously its gorgeous! Its a bright white base shade mixed with a shimmery pale pink with a little bit of gold sheen and it is PERFECTION under the brow bone, I do not say that lightly. You could also use this as an all over the lid shade because its quite brightening, or even as a highlight shade for the face, its very multi purpose.

Ok, so apologies that this has gone on forever but there is a lot to be said about this palette. I think it is one of my most used neutral palettes and I'm so pleased that I own it. Its pretty pricey at 45, but in my opinion for sixteen shades its pretty fair. My favourite shades have to be Black Forest Truffle, Candied Violet, Marzipan and Champagne Truffle. If you love neutral eyes and are in the market for a palette, go get this!

on 1/29/2016 12:30:00 AM

Though I enjoy watching youtube beauty videos galore, I have come to terms with the fact that I really only need a couple palettes. Oh my love for this is strong... this is going to be a long review. I know it. It begins with a short(?) story...

About a year ago, I did not have any palettes. I really wanted a high-end neutral palette, and I very seriously considered getting the Naked 1 palette. While I was trying to decide, I received a Stila palette, and the Balm's Nude 'Tude palette. Even though the Balm's Nude 'Tude can definitely be considered a neutral palette, I was not 100% satisfied with it (review to come), so I was still heart-set on getting myself another high-end neutral palette. Luckily, after playing with the other palettes, I realized that I really wanted a selection of matte shades and a pop of color as well. That's where this palette became a major contender.

Then Naked Smoky came out, and the price of all Naked palettes jumped another $2 in price. Remember, Naked 1 was $48 when it came out, and it has since increased $2 with every new Naked release. There is something about this that just doesn't sit quite right with me.

So naturally, I started rooting for the new kid on the block. I went to Sephora, and swatched this palette... and the rest is history. I have to try NOT to use this everyday.

I really love the smoothness and blendability of all of the matte shades: Salted caramel, Semi-Sweet, Milk Chocolate, Triple Fudge, White chocolate. Milk Chocolate and semi sweet are perfect for a simple, everday look, but these shades are also good at being matte basics for a more colorful look. Salted caramel is beautiful for blending out the edges of any shade.

I find it very easy and fun to incorporate any of these shades into a look: hazelnut, creme brulee, and haute chocolate. I also love a simple matte look with marzipan in the center of the lid. (Check out KathleenLight's tutorial using this palette!)

For a more intense look, gilded ganache, candied violet, and black forest truffle are fun pops of color. Gilded ganache is gorgeous but not as green in payoff as I expected. I love this color with Milani's Bella Emerald single. Likewise, the other two purple colors are not as purple as they appear in the pan. A little disappointing, but I have found super cheap supplement shades to amp these three up. (See below.)

The only colors I find myself needing to work harder to incorporate into looks are champagne truffle, and strawberry bon bon. After having this for several months, I have finally gotten around to using this as a highlight. (Inspired by the new Power of Makeup Palette...) OK. I think i can at least learn to love every color in here except for strawberry bon bon... could I have a matte plum purple instead? Oh well.

In all, I am so satisfied with my choice. I think there is a great balance in this palette with the range of shades, tones, and finishes. I appreciate that the packaging has been slimmed down since the initial release. Those last two points help make this a very travel friendly palette, in my opinion. I have no problems with blendability nor with lasting power. (And I have made almost everyone I know smell this palette. Smelling chocolate when you open a palette makes it feel just a bit extra luxe. :) )

Fun colorful combos: Truthfully, I have enjoyed all of the looks I can get from this. Here are some favorites with other singles in my collection.
Color in center: Creme brulee in inner corner, triple fudge in outer edge, blended edges with milk chocolate. Then: gilded ganache with Milani's Bella Emerald OR Colorpop's BAE OR Candied Violet OR Black Forest Truffle in the center.
SUPER PURPLE!: combo of browns above, with both BAE AND Candied Violet in center
Colored liner: Creme brulee over entire lid, Colorpop's Blaze in center, haute chocolate in outer edge, Milk Chocolate to blend crease out, Milani's liquid eyeliner in green (basically, gold, gold brown, light brown, dark brown, then bam! COLOR!!)

Similar shades: I won't call these dupes, but I think you can achieve very similar looks.
To Creme Brulee: Colorpop's KathleenLights, Covergirl's Golden Sunrise, Stila's Honey
To Marzipan: Wet n Wild's Highlight shade from Silent Treatment
I'm sure there are others but these are ones I found in my collection.

Thanks for reading! Hope this was at least enjoyable, if not helpful!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

I love this palette SO MUCH. I've been using it for a solid two weeks now and I have no plans to return to Naked 3, 2, 1 or Lorac Unzipped or UD Smoked or any of my 753376538 MAC shadows etc etc any time soon. There are several reasons I will be ignoring all of my other shadows for who knows how long:
1. The smell. These shadows obviously smell like chocolate. I am not a morning person. Every morning that whiff of cocoa when I dip my brush in whatever shade I choose to use first puts my mood from groggy and pissy to happy and comforted in an instant. I guess I am very susceptible to the soothing powers of chocolate.
2. The colors. I have used every single color in this palette and have loved every look I have achieved with it. For my coloring- about NC30 skin, blonde hair, green eyes- all the shades in this palette are not only flattering, they are complimentary. Having those burgundy shades really sets this over the top for me because no colors will make my green eyes stand out like red based colors. I don't have to reach for any other shadows to complete a look. Using any other palette I own, I would have to reach elsewhere for a hi lite for the brow, or maybe a blender color. But not here. For the vast majority of my days, I wear a softly smokey eye done with warm colors. This lets me do several variations of that with a little purple for fun.
3. The quality. All of the shadows are wonderfully pigmented, smooth and easily workable. There are a few with teeny glitters, and the glitter stays on the eyes if I press the shadow on or it easily is tapped away from my brush if I choose to do so. I have no fading or creasing through the day. I always prime with UDPP in Eden, so nothing really ever fades or creases on my primed lids.
4. The packaging/presentation. This is just a cute palette. It looks like a chocolate bar. Inside it has an overlay on the shadows with the names, just like a box of nice chocolates. It's very sturdy and has a nice weight to it. It opens and closes without an issue (hem HEM Naked 3). It's just fun to use. Makes me happy.
So again, I adore this and it is my favorite makeup purchase in some time. I would give up all my naked palettes for it. I am going to update this review when I move on from this palette. I don't even know why I'd stray at this point, but it will be worth making note of if it makes me as happy as this palette.

PROS:
-Cute packaging! Looks AND smells like an actual chocolate bar. It's difficult to resist biting into this palette.
-Great variation of browns and neutrals.
-Great variation of shimmers, mattes, and satins.
-Great value for 16 different shades.
-Decent pigmentation on most shades.

CONS:
-Staying power and blendability. Looks great when I initially put it on, but it fades and creases as the day goes on.
-I've experienced difficulty with blending some of the shades. Maybe it's due to the similarity of tones and hues, but I tend to end up with one mushed up color on my lids by the day's end.
-The texture on some of the shades are quite chalky.

OTHER NOTES:
-This cute, delicious palette is a must have for those who tend to hoard/collect eyeshadow paletes (like me!). But if you are looking to invest in a palette for more practical reasons (such as long-wearing shadows which will last many hours), you might want to look elsewhere.
-Overall, the case is pretty sturdy. But I noticed that the enclosed mirror was weakly adhered to the tin casing and has fallen off.
-Overall, I like this palette. I was blown away by the cuteness, smell, and color selection. But I wasn't blown away by the quality.

on 1/1/2014 12:04:00 AM

I received this a couple days ago from Sephora.com, I had been waiting for this to get in stock, as it is described as a neutral toned palette and I am obsessed with nude palettes. This and my OCC 12 mini tube collection were my 2 most anticipated purchases on this haul.

I have had a chance to play around with the palette and like all Too Faced eyeshadows, this offering does not disappoint. There are 16 neutral (nude) shadows with 8 rich mattes and 8 shimmers. This palette does not contain anything over the top as far as textures, colors, etc. so it is a great work palette. The shimmer selection has some that are more shimmery than others but they are all workable and again there is nothing over the top. The mattes are rich and velvet like, nothing powdery or chalky. I applied all shadows with primer, I like to use both UDPP and TFSI and switch back and forth regularly, I did not experience fall out with any of the shadows. The palette is well designed with 2 larger pans containing base/highlight colors that one will definitely use more than the other colors.

When I first opened the palette I was taken by surprise as the box looks like the wrapper of a chocolate bar, the tin is milk chocolate colored and sculpted to look like a chocolate bar that is pre-divided into sections. The biggest surprise was when I opened the tin and caught a whiff, it smells like cocoa too...scrumptious! As with all Too Faced eyeshadow palettes, they do include a pamphlet with ideas and instructions for using the product to achieve some looks.

I can see where I am going to enjoy using this palette, not only are the shadows nice but the packaging reminds me of Willy Wonka and finding a golden ticket or something.

on 4/11/2014 10:45:00 AM

At first, I was sucked in by the hype and thought I loved this palette. After all, who wouldn't like makeup that smells like chocolate? So creative. But my love affair ended after one use. The shadows are poor quality--chalky consistency and lots of fallout, and some of the colors aren't really wearable. If you want a comparably priced palette and don't have to have one that is chocolate scented, the Kat Von D Monarch palette is worlds better.

on 5/7/2014 11:45:00 PM

I find the chocolate palette is most comparable to the naked palette because they are both warm browns but I prefer the TF more for the following reasons;
1. UD has 12 shades, TF has 16
2. UD has 2 mattes, TF has 6
3. Some shadows from UD are too shimmery, the shimmers in TF are more subtle which makes it easier to wear everyday and office appropriate.
4. TF has 2 cool tone non-brown shades(light pink and purple)which makes the neutral palette a bit more interesting.
5. I like that there are 2 bigger pans of highlighter shades, one matte and one shimmer. Because the pans a bigger, I actually use the shimmery one as a highlight for my cheekbones and its excellent.

All of the shades are pigmented and buttery. A few I would like to take note of because of other reviews and give my opinion.
Strawberry Bon Bon, some say its not very pigmented, I find mines pigmented for a matte shadow, I had no problems with application.
Black Forest Truffle is the on,y shade I find to have glitter but compared it is not chunky glitter like UD's sidecar where there is fallout. I don't have a lot of fallout with Black Forest Truffle.
Candied Violet, some say it isn't pigmented, I think if you are looking for a vibrant shimmery violet, this isn't going to give that result. I thought this would disappoint me because more purples make me look like I have a black eye or it appears as a dark grey on my lids but surprisingly I really love this shade. I use this all over the lid and it give a subtle smokey purple shade that's very wearable especially when paired with Cherry Cordial I the crease.

One of my main concerns was the packaging might be a bit too bulky but compared to the UD Naked 3, it's a centimeter thicker and a centimeter wider but it's more than a centimeter in length, overall it's great for travel, does not take up too much space in my makeup bag. The magnetic closure is secure enough. My only biggest complaint is how I wish the names were printed next to the pan because they have such adorable names.

I would totally recommend and repurchase this palette.

on 5/16/2014 8:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I don't write this lightly but this is my favorite eye shadow palette. Too Faced has managed to combine a perfect blend of matte and satin shades with a couple of shimmery ones to round it out. I find that I do have to use an primer underneath Too Faced shadows to get the best color payoff and for longevity.

The mix of warm and cool tones truly make this a palette that can work for anyone. This palette does not have a black, however the Triple Fudge color is so darkly rich that I find that I can get an intense effect using it on my outer V and lash line. Cherry Cordial is a beautiful, rich, warm burgundy with gold shimmer and has fast become my favorite color in the palette. I think I have used Salted Caramel every day since buying the palette!

As usual the shadows blend beautifully and I don't have a problem with fallout using them.

I personally like the packaging. Yes it is longer than most palettes but it is also very sturdy and will not get lost in a tote or bag. And the chocolate scent is a very nice perk! ;-)

on 10/23/2016 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I had been lusting after this palette like forever and now I feel slightly let down. Sure, the packaging is terribly cute and the scent is divine. The mix of earthy and purple colors looks right up my alley but in reality isn't as versatile as I hoped.

First of all you do need to use a primer. And no, TFSI isn't enough so I use creamy ones like Paintpots or Color Tatoos to provide a more substantial base.

White Chocolate looks very similar to my favourite highlighter - Blanc Type by MAC. I was very excited to have a big pan of this color but pigmentation is laughable in comparison. Same with Strawberry Bon Bon. Champagne Truffle is pretty but I'd use such light and shimmery color only on the tear duct (not a fan of shimmery browbone highlighters here) Consequently I have to opt for another matte highlighter anyway and that takes some versatility points off.

Gilded Ganache needs a darker cream base or wet application or else it comes off as light shimmery gray instead of earthy golden green. Black Forest Truffle and Candied Violet have the same issue but look stunning applied wet! Especially the pink-blue sparkles in Candied Violet really show this way. That look makes quite a statement though so I don't use them for daytime although they are beautiful.

Amaretto, Cherry Cordial and Triple Fudge are really nice for darkening the outer corner but that's just a nice accent, not what makes a look.

Milk Chocolate, Semi-Sweet and Salted Caramel have good pigmentation. You can trust on them to find a suitable matte earthy crease color anytime so thumbs up!

Marzipan and Creme Brulee are the two I use on the lids for daytime on my fair skin, Hazelnut and Haute Chocolate can be used the same way but the overall effect will be deeper. That said if you're fair like me and don't opt for smokey looks each day you have basically only two lid colors left - more versatility points off.

Another issue I have is that they mostly need to be packed for the colors to show up true to the pan - here a 239 brush comes very handy - and since quite a few shades are close in terms of hue and depth when blended the result can be too homogenous. Still, all the looks I've created with this palette have turned out beautiful (the golden, purple and reddish undertones really compliment green eyes) but the effect is almost always on the hazy side. If you're a fan of smokey eyes you'll enjoy this palette a lot but if you're after crisp, vivid eyeshadow looks you'll find this palette hard to provide that.

To be fair though they stay put all day, fallout is minimal, shimmer/small glitter is tastefully done and haven't experienced any creasing.

In a nutshell Chocolate Bar is still a nice palette in my book and don't regret purchasing it but some shades are underwhelming and I find that it works better in conjunction with other eyeshadows than as a stand-alone palette for me.

Pure hype!! If you have been saving money to splurge on a palette, DO NOT GET THIS! Yes the packaging is pretty and will look cute for your instagram feed, smells like chocolate blah blah but believe me, this is not worth your money. Apart from three shades that are unique and actually work and blend well - salted caramel, marzipan and champagne truffle- the rest is just pure crap. Three of the shades look exactly alike when swatched on the lid -amaretto, cherry cordial and hazelnut - you are lucky if it actually shows up other than a muddy brown and dont expect it to stay all day even with primer. Stawberry bon bon is just a chalky white. That said there are not much looks to experiment with this palette. Dont waste your money. You dont even have to buy it to know it sucks, swatch this is in the store and see for yourself. Go for makeup geek, inglot or the mac warm palette instead.