Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I have nearly purchased this palette time and time again. With it being half off at Ulta recently I finally purchased it. And I will be returning it. My overall impression, snore fest with mediocre shadows.
The packaging is a magnetic tin. The magnet is pretty weak so it doesn’t feel very secure. And the mirror inside rattles. It’s a very cute design and uses space well. I like that the names are printed by the shadows.
The formula for most of the shadows is so dry and dusty. They apply pretty smoothly and blend well but getting color pay off on some is a beast. The mattes are ok, a little dry and stiff and very hard packed but ok. I love salted Carmel, triple fudge, and white chocolate. Semi sweet, milk chocolate, and cherry cordial were ok. Strawberry Bon Bon didn’t have much color pay off, I had to really pack it on. The true shimmers are pretty nice too. I love marzipan and champagne truffle. Creme Brule and haute chocolate work well. But the satiny shimmers are terrible. They are dusty and super densely packed. You have to use them wet to get any color pay off so you really can’t use them in the crease. Gilded ganache, candied violet, hazelnut were the worst. I got amaretto to be quite pretty when foiled. Black Forest truffle is bad too. Over all there were about 5 shades I loved, 4 I was ok with, and 7 I disliked.
As for the colors of these shades, snore fest. This is the most uninspirering palette I have ever worked with. And that’s probably because 7 of the shades wouldn’t show up on my lids. I’m theory guided ganache, cherry cordial, and candied violet could be fun. But they all either had poor pigmentation and poor color saturation. Cherry cordial performs ok but it ends up looking washed out brown on the lid, not burgundy. Strawberry Bon Bon doesn’t show up. I cannot get candied violet or gilded ganache to look like anything on the lid. It’s a patchy, faded, colorless mess. If I kept this palette I would use about 5 shades which are all easily duped in my collection and that it. Those five shades are quite good but I just don’t want this palette taking up space in my collection for that. I remember watching someone try to pan this palette on YouTube and I just remember how frustrated she was and how much she hated it. And I recently also watched a one month one palette with it and she got very bored of it. I can see why both of those ladies struggled. It’s going back as soon as I’m by an Ulta.

I got this back in the day when this was new and hyped and everyone kept talking about it. It was one of my very first eye pallettes ever so my expectations weren't as high as they are now as I didn't have much comparison. I kept using it, the packaging was cute and it smelled nice. But when buying the eye pallette you expect shadows to be good and there are pretty meh. To tell the truth I haven't had much luck with Too Faced products overall, I think apart from the super lovely packaging they are pretty overpriced and overhyped for what they are. The shadows in the pallette don't blend nicely and don't have a staying power, also the pigmentaion is really not that good and there's much fallout. I am not impressed with this one and I gave it away.

on 5/31/2018 12:20:00 PM

Colors are wearable, warm neutrals and for the price there is a decent amount of product and shade selection. Unfortunately *I* am allergic to this shadow. Understandably ymmv but I don't know why fragrance (as in parfum/artificial) is added to an eye product when the eyes are so sensitive and eyelid skin is so thin and delicate. TF has revamped their line where basically ALL of their shadows are now artificially scented and now they're basically dead to me as a brand bc of this. Even the 9 pans are revamped now w added fragrance. I feel like they isolated a huge market that wants their makeup to just be high performing makeup, not a kitschy looking collectors piece that smells like ice cream.

on 10/18/2017 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I bought it because I've wanted it forever. I tried to swatch all the colors and a lot of them swatch bad (chalky and bad pigmentation) even if I use a base. I am just disappointed. I also have makeup geek eyeshadows (my first high end purchase) which swatch and apply beautifully. It took me buying this to realize how good they are.

on 4/10/2017 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

I got this palette over a half a year ago and I've loved it since day one. The chocolate bar palette is an incredibly popular palette for a reason. The shades are super blendable which makes it beginner-friendly too, there's the neutrals, the fun colors and the darkest color, "triple fudge", which proves that you don't always need black in the outer corner to make a stunning, dimensional eye look. Most shades I absolutely adore, such as salted caramel, marzipan, milk chocolate, semi sweet and champagne truffle. The neutrals aren't boring and they're very unique. There are amazing transitional shades and really pretty shimmers. Candied violet and strawberry bon bon are fun shades to play around with. This is my go-to palette when I'm travelling for example, it's so versatile. The smell is addicting, and recently, for example, my friend confessed to have been sniffing my palette while we were sharing a hotel room and I was having a shower, which I totally relate to. I'm so happy I made this purchase because I've learned so much through it and pretty much all of my favorite eye looks I've made with this palette!

I absolutely LOVE my chocolate bar palette!! The color combos within it work very well with my green eyes and fair skin! The individual colors are extremely blendable and pigmented. The mattes are creamy and feel amazing on your eyes! The shimmer shades are a bit less pigmented but are buildable so you can get your desired shade! The palette is all together fairly cheap due to the fact that Too Faced is a high end brand.

on 1/11/2017 2:18:00 PM

I'm honestly just not that wowed by this. I got this a few months ago when I got my Ulta credit card after wanting all 3 chocolate bar palettes forever. I just got this and the semi sweet, though. I think that i'm not in love with it because it's just another set of neutrals, and I LOVE neutrals. Nothing super impressive in here. I don't think the purples are that pretty/look that good and I don't use purple that often anyways. Gilded ganache is so ugly to me. I don't like gold so i'll almost never use creme brulee. I do really like the highlight shades, milk chocolate is good, too but nothing that I don't already have. Strawberry bonbon is pretty but i'm not sure how to wear it. I need to play with it. Amaretto, cherry cordial and black forest truffle are all really pretty also, but I guess I haven't really been that inspired to create a look with them. Haute chocolate showed up way darker than I had wanted and I want to love Marzipan but it also came out way darker/gold than I expected. The packaging is super cute though and the smell is amazing but I think I could have probably lived without this. I blame all of the hype around it. Maybe if I play around with it some more I'll like it. I made myself use the peach palette for 3 days to see if I liked it and wanted to keep it and also watched a lot of tutorials and ended up liking it and keeping it. I need to do the same for this I suppose. I just wish I loved it so much more than I do.

Update: I've found that mixing milk chocolate and semi-sweet gives me a nice crease color, and I like to go back and press white chocolate on the lid after for an everyday look. I do a similar thing with the semi-sweet palette and like the shade I get better when mixing 2 browns in there but sometimes I'll use this instead so I don't run out of the 2 in semi sweet too fast. Annoyed I only like 3 shades out of the whole palette but glad I at least found a use with it. Added 1 star.

on 12/29/2016 8:52:00 PM

I really enjoy all there eye shadow sets. I love the packaging that's the draw of it for me. The colors are great quite a few different ones that the usual to play around with. My favorite colors would be the triple fudge and gilded ganache. Great shimmer to 10 of the colors. Last a lot longer then The Balm shadow I just bought a couple weeks ago. I will definitely buy all their collections when I can afford them.

on 12/14/2016 8:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I love this palette. It has the perfect balance of matte and shimmery shades, and it is versatile enough for both day and evening makeup looks. I use this palette everyday, either on its own or together with my favourite Mac eyeshadows. Most of the colours in the palette are absolutely gorgeous, buttery, pigmented and beautiful. Few, however, are not the greatest.

The amazing ones; Marzipan, Salted Caramel, Hazelnut, Creme brulee and Champagne Truffle blend like a buttery dream, and are highly pigmented.

The loser of the palette; Strawberry Bon Bon is just disappointing. Its like the ugly cousin of the other colours. It is not pigmented at all and no matter how much I layer it, I only manage to get the lightest hint of colour. The other disappointing one is the Cherry Cordial. When I saw it, I was hoping for an intense reddish brown that could be used for an evening makeup. Instead, Cherry Cordial is so lowly pigmented that I can use it for a day look.

Still, I absolutely love this palette, use it everyday, and would recommend it to everyone.

*Edited: I recently bought the Chocolate Bon Bons palette, and actually prefer it over the chocolate palette. If you are extremely pale, and have cool colouring, I would recommend that you check that one out. I still love the chocolate one but find that the colours in the Bon Bons palette suit me much better.

on 10/3/2016 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This eyeshadow palette is all you need. Such a great collection of natural colors for everyone. Pigmented and smooth with out any fallout or glitter. A must have!